Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Visa Debit Card - Point of Sales Charges Abroad.

Options
  • 20-06-2016 3:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

If I use my BOI visa debit card in the US for a point of sales transaction (restaurant, store, etc.) will I be charged the cost in dollars converted to euros at VISA's exchange rate (at whatever that rate is on the day) plus the 2% cross border handling charge?

I am trying to confirm who's exchange is used and also that the cross border handling charge is the only charge.

Thank you.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Sarah

sesh23 wrote: »
    If I use my BOI visa debit card in the US for a point of sales transaction (restaurant, store, etc.) will I be charged the cost in dollars converted to euros at VISA's exchange rate (at whatever that rate is on the day) plus the 2% cross border handling charge?

I am trying to confirm who's exchange is used and also that the cross border handling charge is the only charge.

Thank you.
    Hi sesh23,

Thanks for contacting us here on Boards.

Yes you will be charged in Dollars at the exchange rate of the day, which is set by Visa. You can find Visa daily exchange rate here
    When you use your Visa Debit card outside of the Eurozone we will charge you the following: 
    • For a withdrawal at an ATM the charge is 3.5% of transaction value at a Minimum of €3.17 and Maximum €11.43 per transaction 
    • At a point of sale the charge is 2% of transaction value at a Maximum of €11.43 per transaction

This cross border charge is separate to the transaction fee of 10 cent per transaction for ATM/ point of sale transactions. 

I hope this helps and please let us know if you need help with any other query. 

Thanks,
    Sarah

Advertisement