Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chad Evans signs for a club

• 20-06-2016 3:30pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭

I see Chad Evans has signed a one year deal with League One Chesterfield. His re trail for rape is due to start on Oct 4.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

*Ched

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

I see Chad Evans has signed a one year deal with League One Chesterfield. His re trail for rape is due to start on Oct 4.

What's your thoughts on it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,371 ✭✭✭acquiescefc

#SheSaidNo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭corsav6

#SheSaidNo

#ButSheReallyMeantYes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Should be interesting to watch as he hasn't played in years. People will be curious to see how that affects his game

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,850 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

They must see him unbelievable potential in him to do incredibly well because the risk vs reward threshold in this case in insanely large.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭Claude Burgundy

Omackeral wrote: »
    What's your thoughts on it?

I wonder how "rusty" he is. Also will his mind be on the game during the trial.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,850 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

I didn't even piece together that Danny Wilson managed Evans for 2 years at Sheffield United and now is in charge of Chesterfield since Christmas, so the signing makes a little more sense to me now.

He must really see something in Evans as a player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Some smartarse in AH with this nugget.
    blue note wrote: »
    I hear he signed for Chesterfield today. The club didn't want him, but he signed anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭Walter H Price

Weather he did it or not and that is still to be decided with the re-trial pending , he served his time its disgusting how hes been treated by the British media and hounded out of every club that's potentially looked at signing him , pleanty of footballers in the past have committed crimes and some have served time including Lee Bowyer , Joey Barton , Troy Deeny , Ian Wright , Luke McCormack , Stan Collymore etc.. and not been put through what Evans has.

Best of luck to him at Chesterfield , was a class youth player would love to see him rebuild his career.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭Claude Burgundy

callaway92 wrote: »
    I didn't even piece together that Danny Wilson managed Evans for 2 years at Sheffield United and now is in charge of Chesterfield since Christmas, so the signing makes a little more sense to me now.

He must really see something in Evans as a player.

He's a solid Championship player at a League One club and i'd say he's on lower wages due to said risks mentioned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

Weather he did it or not and that is still to be decided with the re-trial pending , he served his time its disgusting how hes been treated by the British media and hounded out of every club that's potentially looked at signing him , pleanty of footballers in the past have committed crimes and some have served time including Lee Bowyer , Joey Barton , Troy Deeny , Ian Wright , Lee McCormack , Stan Collymore etc.. and not been put through what Evans has.

Best of luck to him at Chesterfield , was a class youth player would love to see him rebuild his career.

Ian Wright? Seriously? He spent a few weeks inside for unpaid parking fines, not really comparable to a rape case at all.

Weather he did it or not and that is still to be decided with the re-trial pending , he served his time its disgusting how hes been treated by the British media and hounded out of every club that's potentially looked at signing him , pleanty of footballers in the past have committed crimes and some have served time including Lee Bowyer , Joey Barton , Troy Deeny , Ian Wright , Lee McCormack , Stan Collymore etc.. and not been put through what Evans has...

I think Lee Bowyer was convicted of affray. A public order offence. But bit different to rape.

P4DDY2K11 wrote: »
    Ian Wright? Seriously? He spent a few weeks inside for unpaid parking fines, not really comparable to a rape case at all.
    I think Lee Bowyer was convicted of affray. A public order offence. But bit different to rape.

Didnt say they were the same crime just hat these players got to go on and have a career after they spent time in prison ,but if ye wanna play that game McCormick killed two young kids in a Drink Driving incident , was back playing at Plymouth within a few weeks of his release and was hardly mentioned in the media. And the Evens case was all ways suspect as with all he said she said rape cases , no surprise its gone to retrial really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

Didnt say they were the same crime just hat these players got to go on and have a career after they spent time in prison ,but if ye wanna play that game McCormick killed two young kids in a Drink Driving incident , was back playing at Plymouth within a few weeks of his release and was hardly mentioned in the media. And the Evens case was all ways suspect as with all he said she said rape cases , no surprise its gone to retrial really.

I find it hard to imagine fans rejecting him solely because he spent time in prison though, it's the fact that he allegedly raped somebody that resulted in the way he's been treated by the media and fans alike.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

I think people in the game are fairly confident that Evans is going to be exonerated. A club wouldn't take a chance on him if any doubt about his retrial lingered. I'm sure you've all heard the rumours about what has come to light in regards to new evidence.

if ye wanna play that game...

Pointing out that affray is not the same as rape is not a game.

He is still a convicted rapist. There is no "kinda" about it. He got a retrial as he said he has new evidence, and in fairness he is entitled to put that to a jury. Rape convictions are not based on "he said she said", there's a bit more to it than that.

If you think all convictions are or should be viewed in the same way, do you think Adam Johnson will get a club on his release? I doubt it.

I find it hard to imagine fans rejecting him solely because he spent time in prison though, it's the fact that he allegedly raped somebody that resulted in the way he's been treated by the media and fans alike.

lets be honest if he scores 20 goals next season Chesterfield fans wont care what he allegedly did , same as Collymore is still a Villa legend despite the domestic violence stuff with Ulrika Johnson , Joey Barton blineded a youth team player with a cigareet and ended the lads career hes still a player and a pundit now aswell and Luke McCormick has gone on to pick up another 97 starts for Plymouth despite killing two kids drink driving , i think Evans has been very harshly treated to be honest , even if he did it he served his time let him get on with his career.

12 people heard all the evidence and he was convicted on that basis. The girl in question has had to move several times because of the abuse from being named and people spouting exactly the same 'she probably deserved it' nonsense as you.

lets be honest if he scores 20 goals next season Chesterfield fans wont care what he allegedly did , same as Collymore is still a Villa legend despite the domestic violence stuff with Ulrika Johnson , Joey Barton blineded a youth team player with a cigareet and ended the lads career hes still a player and a pundit now aswell and Luke McCormick has gone on to pick up another 97 starts for Plymouth despite killing two kids drink driving , i think Evans has been very harshly treated to be honest , even if he did it he served his time let him get on with his career.

How do you mean "harshly treated"? A club should have been forced to hire him? You don't agree with freedom of choice and their right to refuse to engage the services of a player?

• Advertisement

If you think all convictions are or should be viewed in the same way, do you think Adam Johnson will get a club on his release? I doubt it.

Think Johnson will be too old by the time he's released but if a club are looking to take him on i don't see why he shouldn't get to play again.

How do you mean "harshly treated"? A club should have been forced to hire him? You don't agree with freedom of choice and their right to refuse to engage the services of a player?

No no one should have been forced to hire him , but the media circus that went on last year while he was looking for a new club and clubs were looking to sign him was way OTT , you had elected MP's being interviewed on sky news saying they didn't want their club to sign him. regardless of wether he did it or not , he had served his sentence and clubs managers etc should not have been berated in the media for trying to take him on.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

When Oldham Athletic attempted to sign him they were bombarded with hate mail and protests. The final straw came when somebody sent a letter to the chairman threatening to rape his daughter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,977 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

True but the word alleged is important. It's unfair that somebody is treated this way when they are not guilty. Until such time as they are convicted they shouldn't be hounded.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

eagle eye wrote: »
    True but the word alleged is important. It's unfair that somebody is treated this way when they are not guilty. Until such time as they are convicted they shouldn't be hounded.

Exactly and the man has a right to earn a living too as well !! He shouldnt be punished for a crime until he is convicted of the crime.

Innocent until proven guilty !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 417 ✭✭Green Fella

Wonder will he be welcomed back into the Wales set up if he starts banging in goals. He could be knocking goals past us in the World Cup group very soon :(

Exactly and the man has a right to earn a living too as well !! He shouldnt be punished for a crime until he is convicted of the crime.

Innocent until proven guilty !!

I can fully understand the reluctance of potential employers to hire rapists, whether it be a building site or in an office or at a football club.

I can fully understand the reluctance of potential employers to hire rapists, whether it be a building site or in an office or at a football club.

He got convicted and then it was quashed pending a re trial as far as I'm concenered he has a right to earn a living and if he is found guilty again then hopefully his new club can tear up the contract

That bloke whose alleged to have killed Jo Cox, sign him up too yeah, youth team coach maybe? Hes innocent til proven guilty.

Same deal, why not. Evans was convicted once, he still has to stand trial for raping someone whilst his friends videoed it. Nice lad.

• Advertisement

That bloke whose alleged to have killed Jo Cox, sign him up too yeah, youth team coach maybe? Hes innocent til proven guilty.

Same deal, why not. Evans was convicted once, he still has to stand trial for raping someone whilst his friends videoed it. Nice lad.

Total nonsense. Society depends on the innocent until proven guilty model otherwise what have we, anyone accused of any crime is automatically guilty? Vigilantism? What about the young lad in England who was falsely accused of rape and then hung himself? Whats your thoughts on that? His family destroyed over total lies.

The originial conviction was quashed and a retrial ordered. He served 2.5 years in prison for something he may not have done. Not only that but hes been released and is prevented from earning a living. But I doubt you and the baying mob will apologise if he is fully cleared will you? Lets hope you or your family never have to deal with false accusations. You wouldnt be long changing your view.

What about the young lad in England who was falsely accused of rape and then hung himself? Whats your thoughts on that? His family destroyed over total lies.

In fairness to the woman in this case, there is no suggestion that she has made up anything at all, let alone that she lied. There is no suggestion of a false accusation.

In fact, afair she said she couldn't remember.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

Poor Old Ched.

In fairness to the woman in this case, there is no suggestion that she has made up anything at all, let alone that she lied. There is no suggestion of a false accusation.

In fact, afair she said she couldn't remember.

As far as I remember it was a false accusation going from media reports, but what that entails exactly Im unsure. All referenced media reports I've seen said she made a false accusation, in fairness it was withdrawn after 2 weeks but the damage was done. But Im unsure if she was prosecuted for false accusation, which is also becoming more common in UK. Really rape is an incredibly complex case to fully determine in he said she said cases, I dont envy people trying to determine what happened. I feel the accused are Guilty until proven innocent in alot of these cases though.

It's entirely plausible Evans was innocent if the conviction was quashed and a retrial ordered.

Total nonsense. Society depends on the innocent until proven guilty model otherwise what have we, anyone accused of any crime is automatically guilty? Vigilantism? What about the young lad in England who was falsely accused of rape and then hung himself? Whats your thoughts on that? His family destroyed over total lies.

The originial conviction was quashed and a retrial ordered. He served 2.5 years in prison for something he may not have done. Not only that but hes been released and is prevented from earning a living. But I doubt you and the baying mob will apologise if he is fully cleared will you? Lets hope you or your family never have to deal with false accusations. You wouldnt be long changing your view.

I dont know the story, but he was falsely accused you say, it happens, ive no comment.
    My point is he wasnt convicted falsely by a jury was he? Evans was convicted based on testimony and evidence that she hadnt been in a fit state to consent. Its not like he wasnt there. He wont apologise for any of his actions as it will suggest guilt.

He's a disgusting excuse for a man and supposed to be a role model and people are feeling sorry for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

His original conviction stunk to high heaven, something totally ignored by the baying mob last year when they did their best to stop Evans trying to rejoin society after being released from jail.

Personally I hope he does well for his new club, and that Chesterfield are strong enough to stand firm in the face of the inevitable storm of outrage that will follow.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,443 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

I dont know the story, but he was falsely accused you say, it happens, ive no comment.
    My point is he wasnt convicted falsely by a jury was he? Evans was convicted based on testimony and evidence that she hadnt been in a fit state to consent. Its not like he wasnt there. He wont apologise for any of his actions as it will suggest guilt.

He's a disgusting excuse for a man and supposed to be a role model and people are feeling sorry for him.
    I honestly don't know if he's guilty or not but the reason a retrial was ordered was because evidence will be used that the jury didn't have access to last time, so maybe he was "convicted falsely" by a jury.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,404 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

#SheSaidNo
    12 people heard all the evidence and he was convicted on that basis. The girl in question has had to move several times because of the abuse from being named and people spouting exactly the same 'she probably deserved it' nonsense as you.

You seem heavily invested in this.

His conviction was ruled unsafe and a retrial ordered. Using the quashed conviction as a rationale to accuse of him as being a 'disgusting excuse for a man' seems flawed.

Also he's a footballer not a role model.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭cms88

I wonder will we hear an apology from all the feminist mouthpieces if hes found not guilty? Namely Jessica Ennis-Hill

cms88 wrote: »
    I wonder will we hear an apology from all the feminist mouthpieces if hes found not guilty? Namely Jessica Ennis-Hill

He could always sue her for slander

He could always sue her for slander

No he can't.

Would people stop making up law?

We can't make up science, we can't make up medicine, why do people here just make up law as they go along?

No, when someone is convicted and later it is quashed, they can't sue people who relied in good faith on the conviction before it was quashed.

So no, he can't sue Jessica Ennis for slander. At the time he was a convicted rapist. She could have taken a megaphone and shouted it from the rooftops and it would have been absolutely acceptable.

When did Jessica Ennis Hill become a feminist mouthpiece? Why, for having the cheek to object to what was then a convicted rapist going to a club of which she was a patron? Those women are getting so uppity, any of them that dislikes a rapist is obviously a "feminist".

• Advertisement

No he can't.

Would people stop making up law?

We can't make up science, we can't make up medicine, why do people here just make up law as they go along?

No, when someone is convicted and later it is quashed, they can't sue people who relied in good faith on the conviction before it was quashed.

So no, he can't sue Jessica Ennis for slander. At the time he was a convicted rapist. She could have taken a megaphone and shouted it from the rooftops and it would have been absolutely acceptable.

When did Jessica Ennis Hill become a feminist mouthpiece? Why, for having the cheek to object to what was then a convicted rapist going to a club of which she was a patron? Those women are getting so uppity, any of them that dislikes a rapist is obviously a "feminist".

Well if he gets proved innocent then she should offer a full apology , as I have said everyone is entitled to make a living !! So when Adam Johnson gets out if a club offers to take him I don't begrugde him at all , he served his time. The thing that I hate is the fact that a mob seems to think he is guilty and that's the end of the story and you seem to be part of that mob

Well if he gets proved innocent then she should offer a full apology , as I have said everyone is entitled to make a living !! So when Adam Johnson gets out if a club offers to take him I don't begrugde him at all , he served his time. The thing that I hate is the fact that a mob seems to think he is guilty and that's the end of the story and you seem to be part of that mob

No she should not offer a full apology. For relying on the decision of a jury? For not knowing the new evidence he didn't present at the trial?

I don't think he is guilty. I have no opinion on his guilt or innocence now the decision was quashed. I thought he was guilty after a jury decided he was so on hearing the evidence. Again, I did not know he had "new" evidence, that's the whole point in the word "new".

I think he's incredibly sleazy, mind you, and I don't think any man who leaves his partner at home while he invites his friends to video him having sex with a drunk woman is really that bothered about consent. But I appreciate she may have consented.

Advertisement