Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wimbledon 2016 *Warning Post #15*

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,545 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Margaret Court's face looking even more sour than usual.. she knows Serena's coming for that record :cool:

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Margaret Court's face looking even more sour than usual.. she knows Serena's coming for that record :cool:

Probably not helping that she's been sitting next to a gang of famous lesbians for the past few hours :D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,545 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Now own up, who was it on here who said Serena would never win another grand slam ever again? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭NoviGlitzko

SlickRic wrote: »
    It's too easy when Serena's on any sort of form.

No other woman can handle that power for that long.

I just wish she wasn't so arrogant. She'll be lovely and nice now in victory, but her general behaviour in losing, almost always blaming herself, is tiresome.
    Well both points are true. I don't like her because she acts like a bitch a lot of the time, and I just can't take anything she says seriously. She also is naturally born with a physique that although very talented, her natural power gives her an incredible advantage. With my first sentence I think the general public feel (at least some way) like I do because she doesn't have even half the support as someone like Graf or Navratilova did.

Well both points are true. I don't like her because she acts like a bitch a lot of the time, and I just can't take anything she says seriously. She also is naturally born with a physique that although very talented, her natural power gives her an incredible advantage. With my first sentence I think the general public feel (at least some way) like I do because she doesn't have even half the support as someone like Graf or Navratilova did.

What is your point about her physique, exactly? She's naturally built with a strong physique so...... what?

walshb wrote: »
    Anyone expecting an easy Murray win may be in for a shock. This is not a prime Fed or Nole meeting Raonic. Murray can be brilliant, but also dreadful. Raonic is playing superbly. This will be a very hard fought match. I'd make Andy a very slight favourite.
    You're silly if you think this is gonna be anything but a Murray victory. All Murray needs to do is attack Raonic's backhand which Federer couldn't do.

What is your point about her physique, exactly? She's naturally built with a strong physique so...... what?
    What's up? She's born with natural power like some people are. Gives her a great advantage.

What's up? She's born with natural power like some people are. Gives her a great advantage.

You list it as a reason why you don't like her.

Seems an odd reason to not like someone, they use their natural talents to do well at the sport they play.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,177 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

You're silly if you think this is gonna be anything but a Murray victory. All Murray needs to do is attack Raonic's backhand which Federer couldn't do.

Bear in mind Milos was 2-1 up in Australia and would probably have won if ot for injury ad a set and break up at the Queens final, think people are really underrating Milos here.

Murray the obvious favorite, but we have seen much bigger shocks than Murray losing.

• Advertisement

I'm really not looking forward to Lendl getting all the praise if Murray wins.

Rjd2 wrote: »
    Bear in mind Milos was 2-1 up in Australia and would probably have won if ot for injury ad a set and break up at the Queens final, think people are really underrating Milos here.

Murray the obvious favorite, but we have seen much bigger shocks than Murray losing.
    Well that's true. I kinda underrate him at times, and he was by far the best I've ever seen him play yesterday. He actually possessed a very good ground game which looked unnatural before. He's not just a guy with a robot serve now.

You list it as a reason why you don't like her.

Seems an odd reason to not like someone, they use their natural talents to do well at the sport they play.
    I was only saying as the first part of my comment that she can act like a bitch, that's why I don't like her. Sorry if it came across that way. I respect anyone who uses their skills to their advantage in tennis.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭Halloween Jack

Rjd2 wrote: »

Well that's true. I kinda underrate him at times, and he was by far the best I've ever seen him play yesterday. He actually possessed a very good ground game which looked unnatural before. He's not just a guy with a robot serve now.

Hard to tell how good he was because federer has been rank all year, he was down 2 sets to goffin wasn't he?

I don't think Murray has been at his best either the last fortnight and once you saw the draw you would say the final would be about par. In saying that I think he'll win handsomely tomorrow, raonic's best tournament win is a solitary 500 level event, I think Murray's big game experience will tell...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,778 ✭✭✭✭walshb

I would back Murray. I just would not be surprised if Raonic beat him. Andy is just volatile. He's never been as reliable as some others, and Raonic is definitely talented and strong enough to match Murray and beat him.

I would back Murray. I just would not be surprised if Raonic beat him. Andy is just volatile. He's never been as reliable as some others, and Raonic is definitely talented and strong enough to match Murray and beat him.

Murray showed against Tsonga the other day exactly how volatile he can be. If Tsonga had a bit more mental strength, or maybe hadn't have played such a long match the round before, he could have taken Murray out. You could see how much effort Andy had to put into getting himself pumped up towards the end, at one point he was shouting something like "THERE'S NOT WAY I'M NOT TAKING THIS ONE!!" at his box. It obviously worked for him but given how reliable Raonic's serve is, even if nothing else works for him, Murray's not going to be able to take a 2 set nap today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

Finals are a special day.

It's the day when the director decides to spend 1/3rd of camera time scouring for crowd reaction shots.

Murray like a demon! So fired up!

It's the day when the director decides to spend 1/3rd of camera time scouring for crowd reaction shots.

Not sure how much more of that manky Lendl scowl I can take. What a miserable git!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,452 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Murray like a demon! So fired up!

Its very unseemly. He needs to shut up making random speeches to his box and just play the match

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,198 ✭✭✭PressRun

Yeah. Murray is way over the top. The constant mouthing off is more than a little annoying.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,559 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

BBC coverage has really deteriorated in the last few years .
    Sue Barker is a complete bore and I miss the old commentators they used to have.
    Its all about celebrities now ,celebrity commentators and faces in the crowd.

Raonic did well to hold in that last game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,654 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

I wish they'd ever feck off with their "miles per hour" stats... it was bad enough when they just had the serve figures, but they seem to have speeds for every shot now and they're like kids with a new toy, just can't stop going on and on about it.

And Murray (and most others tbh Raonic is a welcome exception) roaring and shouting at their team in the box is really REALLY annoying.... does nobody ever go out and just play their own match any more?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,084 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

With match at 4 all in second set and game at 30:30

Why did raonic not win the point when he caught the line? Looked like the point was just replayed?

Seve OB wrote: »
    With match at 4 all in second set and game at 30:30

Why did raonic not win the point when he caught the line? Looked like the point was just replayed?

It was called out and didn't Andy return it successfully as it was called out? It was not a Raonic winner, hence the replay!

I know Murray is British, but could the commentary be ANY more blatantly partisan??

I thought they were meant to at least pretend to be impartial.

However..... back at the actual match.... Raonic doing himself no favours in this tie break.... he'd want to be tidying up those unforced errors fairly lively...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,084 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

It was called out and didn't Andy return it successfully as it was called out? It was not a Raonic winner, hence the replay!

Suppose that would be fair enough. Murray did return it, but raonic got him on the volley then

Seve OB wrote: »
    Suppose that would be fair enough. Murray did return it, but raonic got him on the volley then

True. But play suspends when an umpire or line judge issue a call.

BBC will be showing the engraver at work soon .

What has Murray so exasperated? Hoping Castle could tell us something, but he seems more interested in picking out well known people in the crowd.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,198 ✭✭✭PressRun

What is Murray shouting and roaring about? Effing and blinding at his box. Is the umpire allowed to do anything about that carry on?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Shelga

What was he giving out about there?? He always looks so surly! He's 2 sets up FFS! When you compare his attitude to the unshakeable calm of Federer...

PressRun wrote: »
    What is Murray shouting and roaring about? Effing and blinding at his box. Is the umpire allowed to do anything about that carry on?

I am sure the umpire is able. And he certainly should do something about it, assuming Murray us shouting in a non gentlemanly way.

Is it just me or does this match appear to be going on forever?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 42,211 ✭✭✭✭Scorpion Sting

Yeah Murray is just awful to watch with his roaring antics and it's even worse when he's playing poorly.

Bit of a slog alright..... No champagne tennis from either.

Murray very lucky there, replaying a point that should have been lost and he would have been 0-30 down.

And this 'Mr furious' act is ridiculous.
    I assume it's just a mental ploy to prevent himself losing his focus.

What has Murray so exasperated? Hoping Castle could tell us something, but he seems more interested in picking out well known people in the crowd.

lol,you arent going to get any insight from Castle .Terrible commentator.

Ah I just noticed that the match is on Eurosport too,thats so much better .

lol,you arent going to get any insight from Castle .Terrible commentator.

Ah I just noticed that the match is on Eurosport too,thats so much better .

Nice one. Over to Eurosport. I like that lead commentator!

Andy Roddick is doing his own commentary on periscope for this match. Never liked him much as a player but he's an excellent commentator.

• Advertisement

Raonic in 5

Raonic in 5

He just blew his biggest chance....

• Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭trishasaffron

Raonic is useless. Never saw so many balls dumped in the net.

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    I thought they were meant to at least pretend to be impartial

No.... don't think so?

Britain's state broadcaster can be as partisan with a British player as they want.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭CFlat

That is just ridiculous carry on by Murray. The box can do nothing for him.

I'm not holding out much hope for Raonic but come on ya big Canadian lug!

No.... don't think so?

Britain's state broadcaster can be as partisan with a British player as they want.

Well bring back TG4 then, say I! Or any alternative. They're making me queasy the longer it goes on!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭RosyLily

Some awful errors from Raonic! Glad to see he hasn't done a Lisicki and froze on the big stage though. I seen him at Wimbledon 5 or 6 years ago and he was basically all about the serve. Much more rounded game now.

Looking forward to the Mixed final. I've really enjoyed the doubles this year. Women's final had some excellent rallies!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,792 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Raonic just loves the net, if he's not running towards it he plays the ball into it.

Some serve though when he gets it right.

RosyLily wrote: »
    Some awful errors from Raonic! Glad to see he hasn't done a Lisicki and froze on the big stage though. I seen him at Wimbledon 5 or 6 years ago and he was basically all about the serve. Much more rounded game now.

Looking forward to the Mixed final. I've really enjoyed the doubles this year. Women's final had some excellent rallies!
    I've barely managed to keep up with the singles this year.... Who's in the mixed final?

I love watching doubles (except for all the hi-fiving between points which annoys me far more than it should) - the speed of the rallies is just incredible!

I blame McEnroe!

Glory imminent for Mr Angry-pants.

• Advertisement
Advertisement