Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Nct fail?

• 20-06-2016 4:10pm

Have my nct in less than 2 weeks and the service is due sign is showing on the dash. It says INSP when I turn the engine on for a few seconds and shows a little spanner all the time. Its actually showing a bit prematurely and my car seems to be going fine. I really think it should pass the nct with flying colours. I'd rather put the service off for a month or two until I have more money but will I fail the NCT?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

Is it a Seat? My old car used to show these symbols at regular mileage periods - just reminders to get car serviced.

FanadMan wrote: »
    Is it a Seat? My old car used to show these symbols at regular mileage periods - just reminders to get car serviced.

Yes its a seat! Does that mean they'll ignore them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,934 ✭✭✭Renegade Mechanic

What type of car is it? It's usually easy enough to reset the light. I'd bring it to a small garage, I can't imagine they'd refused to reset the light for the NCT.

Edit: Right, Seat :o
    Point stands anyway, I'd get someone to reset ir to be safe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

It won't fail on that.

It will fail on actual problems.

From what I remember, turn ignition off. Hold trip counter reset button in for at least 10 seconds. Keeping button held in, turn on ignition on and keep holding for another 30 secs. This should get rid of the symbols.....well, one at a time. Might have to repeat it.

As I said, it's just a reminder to get the car serviced so shouldn't fail NCT

• Advertisement

FanadMan wrote: »
    From what I remember, turn ignition off. Hold trip counter reset button in for at least 10 seconds. Keeping button held in, turn on ignition on and keep holding for another 30 secs. This should get rid of the symbols.....well, one at a time. Might have to repeat it.

As I said, it's just a reminder to get the car serviced so shouldn't fail NCT

Thank you! I'll give this a go later. If that doesn't work I'll bring it to a small garage like renegade suggested and have them do it. Better safe than sorry I guess! Hopefully it won't have any actual problems to fail on.

If you still have the manual for the car, it'll explain in there. Otherwise this shows the procedure

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D1PGvVG8xaM

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

NCT won't mind if service indicator is on but yeah, you may as well reset it so there is no confusion.
    Just remember to actually service car :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,663 ✭✭✭Jack Killian

biko wrote: »
    NCT won't mind if service indicator is on but yeah, you may as well reset it so there is no confusion.
    Just remember to actually service car :D

They may interpret it as the car being neglected and look (slightly more thoroughly) for other signs to support that, so best to reset it alright.

Advertisement