Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycling from naas road to rathcoole

Options
  • 20-06-2016 6:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi guys, I currently cycle from rathcoole into dublin city using the canal which brings me out of my way quite a bit... Is there cycle lanes over the red cow / new lands crossjunction and is it safe to go that way?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭DanDublin1982

Not sure about legally but it definitely wouldnt be safe to use the newlands overpass. You'd have to cycle down by bewleys (maldron now) and on towards the Luas. There are cycle tracks over the red cow but they are completely arsey.

Personally I'd come off the naas road at the outer ring road, swing onto the new nangor road and follow that up to rejoin the naas road at woodies.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Depending on what part of town you're headed for I'd probably turn off at citywest and head down through ballymount. Although that brings you toward walkinstown Rnd'about which isn't ideal.

I wouldn't be to keen on going anywhere near newlands cross.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

He could do Citywest and then either Ballymount or N81, but as said, it all depends on where in the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 770 ✭✭✭Roadtoad

Don't over think it.

The n7 is safe, if a bit noisy. The R136 junction needs care, you might pull in and wait for a clear spot, until you get more comfortable with it.
    After passing under the fancy suspension bridge take care crossing onto the ramp that rejoins the main inbound road.
    Follow a cyclist if you get a chance.
    Going home is easier.
    The cycle paths east of Newlands are quite good, but nonexistent west of.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 morrowgi

Thanks guys I will try try new nanor road I think... I'm heading close to heuston station so usually head through inchicore and join n4 then...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭DanDublin1982

morrowgi wrote: »
    Thanks guys I will try try new nanor road I think... I'm heading close to heuston station so usually head through inchicore and join n4 then...

Definitely the option I'd go for so. I'd probably be inclined to go Newcastle/Peamount and join the new nangor from there having thought about it a bit more.

Past the army barracks or through some of those industrial estates might even be worth trying but I don't know them well enough to properly advise. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

What about to Saggart, through citywest to Bothar Katherine Tynan? Then either down Ballymount road to the Walkinstown roundabout, or avoid it by going through Robinhood to the Long mile road.
    The Walkinstown roundabout is much easier on a bike than a car as you've much better visibility, for a half lap or less anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

Roadtoad wrote: »
    Don't over think it.

The n7 is safe, if a bit noisy. The R136 junction needs care, you might pull in and wait for a clear spot, until you get more comfortable with it.
    After passing under the fancy suspension bridge take care crossing onto the ramp that rejoins the main inbound road.
    Follow a cyclist if you get a chance.
    Going home is easier.
    The cycle paths east of Newlands are quite good, but nonexistent west of.

I have to disagree on that. N7 is the worst possible way to get to the city center and it never feels safe. I much prefer to add the Saggart hill on my commute than go down the N7. Way too many big trucks that pass too fast and too close and when there is an exit you have to actually get on the lane to continue ahead which is very hard to do with cars buzzing by you at 100kms/h.

Advertisement