Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hidden camera in the canteen.

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,721 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

In one case, an employee of a supermarket was dismissed for “gross misconduct” after she placed a paper bag over a CCTV camera in a staff canteen. The commissioner told the business that, in her view, there was no justification for having CCTV installed in the canteen area.
    http://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/complaint-by-defence-forces-member-destroyed-in-burglary-and-flood-1.2693205

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Not necessarily.

If goods are being sold to staff, then they may be a very proportionate way to manage dishonesty allegations.
    Correct. If the canteen includes a till then you could justify a camera in the canteen to ensure that transactions were being carried out correctly.

The scope of the video though would need to be quite strictly restricted both to the till area and to times when the till was stocked/in use.

"I have a camera in there because there's a till in there" would be no defence for monitoring the entire canteen.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭irish_dave_83

But you understand that many people do discuss work matters, or personal matters, or political matters, or social matters with workmates in the canteen - right?

Generally CCTV doesn't record audio. Some do, but the majority don't. That's a whole other legal minefield.
    I would be surprised if the CCTV in your canteen does record audio, but its worth querying with the Management. They cant say much to you for querying the use of CCTV and it capabilities. Whatever about recording footage of you, you have a right to know if they are recording what you are saying without your knowledge. Any action taken against someone would/may not be admissible otherwise should it ever end up in court.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭2RockMountain

Generally CCTV doesn't record audio. Some do, but the majority don't. That's a whole other legal minefield.
    I would be surprised if the CCTV in your canteen does record audio, but its worth querying with the Management. They cant say much to you for querying the use of CCTV and it capabilities. Whatever about recording footage of you, you have a right to know if they are recording what you are saying without your knowledge. Any action taken against someone would/may not be admissible otherwise should it ever end up in court.

Audio isn't the core issue here.

If the employee is reluctant to raise the issue with their employer, they can always take it directly to the Data Protection Commissioner.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

I'd be 99.9% sure it's illegal I worked in a place that almost literally covered every inch of the premises with CCTV for fear of employee theft with the exception of the toilets and staff canteen. If they could have had cameras in these places they would have.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,414 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

ziedth wrote: »
    I'd be 99.9% sure it's illegal I worked in a place that almost literally covered every inch of the premises with CCTV for fear of employee theft with the exception of the toilets and staff canteen. If they could have had cameras in these places they would have.

You still have to sign consent

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭moc moc a moc

Once its not in the loos i dont see the problem. If youre not doing anything wrong youve nothing to worry about

Are you doing something wrong in the loos?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

Are you doing something wrong in the loos?

Aren't we all?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,536 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Don't illegally smoke in a canteen and don't do things in work that would get you sacked

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭Ann22

I'd be afraid they'd find a reason to make my job unbearable if rhey couldn't fire me. Maybe if you say you overheard a group of people talking about it so it's not only you that's been complaining? Sorry...I'm a coward. I wouldn't like to see you posting here in a few months being miserable as sin having to wash the wheelie bins and clean the toilets on your own with different tea breaks to everyone else and having to work weekends till 11 at night :-(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,536 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Ann22 wrote: »
    I'd be afraid they'd find a reason to make my job unbearable if rhey couldn't fire me. Maybe if you say you overheard a group of people talking about it so it's not only you that's been complaining? Sorry...I'm a coward. I wouldn't like to see you posting here in a few months being miserable as sin having to wash the wheelie bins and clean the toilets on your own with different tea breaks to everyone else and having to work weekends till 11 at night :-(

If they make it unbearable then that could be considered as constructive dismiss which is illegal

• Registered Users Posts: 4,330 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

Do you have a Union ? Are some people agitating for a Union ?

I know years ago there was a serial rapist attacking women in Walmart car-parks
    They had footage from some Walmarts but not from others and it turned out that Walmart only invests in CCTV for the car-park on stores where they had rumors of Union agitators.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

Any update to this OP?

Advertisement