Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Changing from J1 Intern to J1 Trainee visa

Options
  • 20-06-2016 7:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭

Has anyone ever changed from the 12 month Intern J1 Visa over to the 18 month Trainee J1 Visa?

I've been told that it's allowed, however I've never heard of anyone doing this so I'm skeptical.

Appreciate any help!

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭lil_lisa

If you're not subject to the 2 year home rule, is it worth trying to finish out the 12 months and then apply for the 18 month trainee visa afterwards? That way you can try to extend your time as much as possible. Just a thought..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭blue-army

lil_lisa wrote: »
    If you're not subject to the 2 year home rule, is it worth trying to finish out the 12 months and then apply for the 18 month trainee visa afterwards? That way you can try to extend your time as much as possible. Just a thought..
    thanks for the reply.

Just wanted to make sure that it was an option as I hadn't heard of anyone who had done it before!

I'm not subject to the 2 year rule and I'm almost at the end of my 12 month visa. Delighted to have an option of another 18 months as I wasn't picked in the H1B lottery this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭jme2010

blue-army wrote: »
    thanks for the reply.

Just wanted to make sure that it was an option as I hadn't heard of anyone who had done it before!

I'm not subject to the 2 year rule and I'm almost at the end of my 12 month visa. Delighted to have an option of another 18 months as I wasn't picked in the H1B lottery this year.

Are you using USIT for the trainee visa? That's the one that requires you find a company willing to hire you first.

Just wondering how you're going about it because I was looking at this option myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭flynnlives

are you allowed to do the 12 month intern and then go on and do the 18 month?
    I thought you could only do one and not the other as you have to have completed a 3rd level course with 12 months.
    So if you go on the 12 month one, finish it, come home and try and go on the 18 motnh one you cant as youve well over 12 months after finishing a 3rd level course.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭lil_lisa

I started my first 12 month visa in August. I graduated in November. The rule (at least back when I applied) was that you had to start the visa within 12 months of graduation. Since the following August (end of the first visa) was within the 12 month period, I was able to apply and have a second 12 month visa.

• Advertisement
Advertisement