Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Economics (undergraduate)

Options
  • 20-06-2016 9:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭

Hi :)

I'm a Leaving certificate student. I'm interested in UCD's Economics DN510 course.
    I don't know anything about Economics. Can anyone kindly explain whats economics is and what it is all about. Also, would it be difficult for a person who never studied economics and go study it in third level? Do they start it from scratch?
    Also any tips please?:):)

Thank you in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭EDmon

Helenm98 wrote: »
    Hi :)

I'm a Leaving certificate student. I'm interested in UCD's Economics DN510 course.
    I don't know anything about Economics. Can anyone kindly explain whats economics is and what it is all about. Also, would it be difficult for a person who never studied economics and go study it in third level? Do they start it from scratch?
    Also any tips please?:):)

Thank you in advance

Regarding your question on what economics is all about:
    Economics is about the allocation of scarce resources in society.

For example in macroeconomics government fiscal policy they need to decide what to do with the limited money they have (decisions regarding the national economy).

An example of microeconomics is economics use in businesses deciding where to invest to get the most return (decisions affecting a company on an individual level).

Regarding your question about studying economics at third level without prior experience
    In UCD the economics course is designed to be targeted at students who have not studied economics before. The advantage to having studied economics at secondary school level is you know it is what interests you and it aids with understanding of basic concepts within the first 2 weeks of your micro and macro courses in college. If you put in the time to understand these concepts you will be fine.

A good indicator as to whether you will be interested in economics is to ask yourself if current affairs (like watching the news, reading the odd paper etc) interest you. This economics in practice - like the implications of Brexit for example and the tradeoff between trade and sovereignty.

For the best graduation job prospects, I would recommend finding a course that is either a BSc or BEcon rather than a BA in economics.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,529 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

I think this shows how bad our education system is, I.e. student considering a course but has no idea what the subject matter is about. Op it's great your showing interest in this course and your future, but do not rush this decision. Do as much research as possible on courses you think you d like, there's really no rush here. Most importantly, enjoy your time in school with your mates, don't over stress things, work hard, but don't kill yourself. I wish you the very best with your future.

Advertisement