Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin City Marathon 2016 *NO NUMBER SWAPS/SALES/TRANSFERS*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Why not identify another race in case you don't get Dublin. Waterford half marathon would have a large overlap in training

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Bahanaman

RayCun wrote:
    Why not identify another race in case you don't get Dublin. Waterford half marathon would have a large overlap in training

Good idea there. Not to far away from me either. Would be able to dial back the training a bit and keep things going.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭PVincent

Bahanaman wrote: »
    Good idea there. Not to far away from me either. Would be able to dial back the training a bit and keep things going.

fyi- there is over 4500 on the waiting list, so do the maths on your chances. There was some suggestions that those who did this years race series would be prioritised.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Mr abbey

4,500 ffs chances aren't great so! Will be disappointed if they do decide it on other races in the series. Have ran Dublin the last four years, and always registered in September, just in case!! Knew it was moving to Sunday to attract numbers but never thought it would be this successful! Never do the race series though, and never thought i'd be sorry for not being on Facebook!

PVincent wrote:
    fyi- there is over 4500 on the waiting list, so do the maths on your chances. There was some suggestions that those who did this years race series would be prioritised.

Les than 50/50 so. Oh sh1te! Thx for the info though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Sparkles2012

RayCun wrote: »

Saw this on the Wicklow Hospice Foundation Facebook Page just incase anyone dosen't get a place in Dublin.

Anybody miss out on the Dublin City Marathon this year?? Don't let all your training go to waste The Wicklow Hospice is thinking of running a Wicklow Marathon the week before Dublin so your training is on track!! Please post below if you would be interested in this event and if there is enough interest we will organise it. A rough idea of the route would be Wicklow to Arklow and maybe back along the coast or an extension of the Kilomarathon Route?? http://www.athleticstiming.com/fionnuala-mccormack-kilomara…; training and don't let all your hard work go to waste!! I'm on holidays till the 29th of August but please contact Bill Porter on 0872928660 for more information.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

PVincent wrote: »

It wasn't so much a suggestion as they flat out said it.

My plan is to train for Dublin. If I don't get it, I'll lessen the load down the the half marathon plan and do something else, then maybe Limerick (or if I'm lucky, London) in the new year.

I don't think it's fair that preference is being given to race series participants. It very much favours people based in and around Dublin. There are many people who are equally committed to the marathon who for many reasons are not in a position to do any of these extra races. Everyone one the reserve list should have an equal chance.

Bahanaman wrote: »
    I don't think it's fair that preference is being given to race series participants. It very much favours people based in and around Dublin. There are many people who are equally committed to the marathon who for many reasons are not in a position to do any of these extra races. Everyone one the reserve list should have an equal chance.

I can see the business sense behind it, as they were trying to fill up the half slots, but I agree. No way am I travelling to Dublin for a 5k, 10k or a 10 mile race. It's too much cost/time for that, as much as I'd enjoy doing them.

the half slot would fill up anyway. I think it was in response to people who said they'd entered the race series specifically as prep for the marathon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32 hutchy_belfast

Gutted this sold out already I've always entered in September! Any word on any 'good time' slots?
    What is the story with the 31st august slots? I can't find mention on the website and am not on a waiting list.

Gutted this sold out already I've always entered in September! Any word on any 'good time' slots?
    What is the story with the 31st august slots? I can't find mention on the website and am not on a waiting list.

You need to get on the waiting list. If you're not on it, you've no chance.

They've confirmed (via Facebook) that all the waiting list entries will go to Wave 4, so with the 4:35+ pacers.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 hutchy_belfast

That makes great sense..... I'd literally be trying to get round in half the time of some of those folk. Potentially could you give them a half hour start on the line before crossing the mat? Would be pretty wick regardless.

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭Paddy1234

chrislad wrote: »

You need to get on the waiting list. If you're not on it, you've no chance.

They've confirmed (via Facebook) that all the waiting list entries will go to Wave 4, so with the 4:35+ pacers.

That makes no sense at all. I wouldn't do it if that was the case. I can't find anything on Facebook to confirm this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭BrokenMan

From a question on the facebook page

SSE Airtricity Dublin Marathon Hi XXXXXX, yes you're correct. Anyone who receives one of the 2,000 entries will have to start in wave 4 for the event. Many thanks

BrokenMan wrote: »
    From a question on the facebook page

SSE Airtricity Dublin Marathon Hi XXXXXX, yes you're correct. Anyone who receives one of the 2,000 entries will have to start in wave 4 for the event. Many thanks

That was a reply to me :D

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭coolhandspan

Message this morning on fb, you can apply for wave change up to a certain date.

How is everyone getting on with training plans?

I am up to 16 miles now on lsr.
    Doing lsr at much closer to race pace this year as I had a disaster last year and just think this will suit me personally.

Message this morning on fb, you can apply for wave change up to a certain date.

How is everyone getting on with training plans?

I am up to 16 miles now on lsr.
    Doing lsr at much closer to race pace this year as I had a disaster last year and just think this will suit me personally.

I'm up to 19 now, and 47 miles a week, so it's going well. Like yourself, I wasn't happy with last year. I was aiming for 4:30, so 10:18 or so per mile. I ended up at 4:46, blowing up in the last 8 miles. My training last year was all at 11:00+ for LSRs, this year, it's closer to MP, probably 10:20-10:35 and I'm feeling stronger for it.

My training last year was all at 11:00+ for LSRs, this year, it's closer to MP, probably 10:20-10:35 and I'm feeling stronger for it.

That's a bad idea. Either you're capable of faster than 4.30 and your planned MP is too easy, or you're working too hard on your long runs.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

That's a bad idea. Either you're capable of faster than 4.30 and your planned MP is too easy, or you're working too hard on your long runs.

That's what I was thinking. There is also a good chance he/she could burn out before the marathon!

• Advertisement

I know, and I agree completely. I'm not pushing myself, and I do think I'm probably capable of more than 4:30. These runs still feel easy and steady, and I've put in a good solid 8 weeks of base building before the marathon plan started. Last year, I trained at 11:00. I think after a year more of running, my easier pace should be better. My 5k time came down from 26:12 to 22:37 this year.

I know, and I agree completely. I'm not pushing myself, and I do think I'm probably capable of more than 4:30. These runs still feel easy and steady, and I've put in a good solid 8 weeks of base building before the marathon plan started. Last year, I trained at 11:00. I think after a year more of running, my easier pace should be better. My 5k time came down from 26:12 to 22:37 this year.

Are you doing any marathon pace miles?

Any long distance races this year so far? 10 mile, 1/2 marathon?

Just to see how you are doing?

Are you doing any marathon pace miles?

Any long distance races this year so far? 10 mile, 1/2 marathon?

Just to see how you are doing?

Yup, I've done a few MP miles, about the 9:50 to 10:00 min mark.

I've not done any long races this year, as life has gotten in the way. I've done a few HMP runs at about 9:00 mile ranging from 6 to 10 miles over the past 4 months also.

Truthfully, I feel a lot sharper this year than last year. Last year, I peaked at 42 miles in a week. I've hit 47 so far, with about 3-4 50 mile weeks between now and October (assuming I get in tomorrow!)

Yup, I've done a few MP miles, about the 9:50 to 10:00 min mark.

I've not done any long races this year, as life has gotten in the way. I've done a few HMP runs at about 9:00 mile ranging from 6 to 10 miles over the past 4 months also.

Truthfully, I feel a lot sharper this year than last year. Last year, I peaked at 42 miles in a week. I've hit 47 so far, with about 3-4 50 mile weeks between now and October (assuming I get in tomorrow!)

Cool, you seem in good shape for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭The Davestator

After 5 marathons of doing LSR's I have realised that my long runs now need to be at or close to MP to hit my goals.

I don't know how everyone who runs MP pace + 1 min on their LSR's can then run MP on the day. I wish I did know, but It just doesn't work for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭Myles Splitz

I don't know how everyone who runs MP pace + 1 min on their LSR's can then run MP on the day. I wish I did know, but It just doesn't work for me.

What does the rest of your week usually look like? (number of days/weekly mileage) Do you do sessions or just easy running every day?

Assuming you continue to train with a 4.30 target in mind, make sure you don't change your mind on the day. It would be very tempting to think that, since you've been told you might be capable of a better time, and since you're feeling good on the day at a faster pace, you might as well go for a faster time.

If you're considering going for 4.10 or 4.20, change your training now. If you don't change your training now, run at least the first half of the marathon at 4.30 pace.

Assuming you continue to train with a 4.30 target in mind, make sure you don't change your mind on the day. It would be very tempting to think that, since you've been told you might be capable of a better time, and since you're feeling good on the day at a faster pace, you might as well go for a faster time.

If you're considering going for 4.10 or 4.20, change your training now. If you don't change your training now, run at least the first half of the marathon at 4.30 pace.

My plan is to go out at about 10:18. If I'm feeling good after the 20-23 miles, I'll see about upping the pace for the last 3-6 miles. I've been totally focused on 4:30 so I'll stick to that, and I'll go for a more aggressive target for Limerick (or London if I've extraordinary good luck)

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭coolhandspan

Seems common enough on here that lsr st mp +1 is causing problems.. Certainly i feel mentally stronger doing lsr at mp +40 seconds or so... I understand that it is increasing risk of injury or burn out but it is giving me more confidence this year..

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Personally, (and speaking only for myself) my MP is at least 90 secs faster than easy pace. MP + 40 secs is steady for me, which would be too fast for an easy run.

MP + 1 minute would still be a bit fast for an easy run (again, just using myself for this comparison).

Advertisement