Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin City Marathon 2016 *NO NUMBER SWAPS/SALES/TRANSFERS*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭coolhandspan

Yeah great to read all different views on this.. I should have stated that i still do some runs at easy pace 1 min plus , but my long run is now always done at steady pace..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭Myles Splitz

Just had a look back through my Long runs (non - sessions)

Week 1: MP + 1.39 per mile
    Week 2: MP + 1.33 per mile
    Week 3: MP + 1.28 per mile
    Week 4: MP + 1.55 per mile
    Week 5: MP + 1.43 per mile
    Week 6: MP + 10 sec per mile* - Session, reduced length
    Week 7: MP + 59 per mile* (progression run)
    Week 8: MP + 1.48 per mile (Race week, reduced length
    Week 9: MP + 1.45 per mile

For me these runs are about time on feet and tend to save my fast running for sessions I think there is a place for steady runs but long easy runs shouldn't be ignored especially if you are not coming from a background of consistent training with moderate to high mileage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

Personally, I have found the opposite to be the case. As my marathon times have come down, my lsr times have gone up. Where in the past I would run 18-20 miles in training at low 8 or high 7 pace, feel chuffed with myself and then produce a poor marathon (or have a good one occasionally, which would be in the 3.20/3.30 range), now I routinely run lsr's at MP +75 or slower. the speed and endurance comes from the sessions. Tempos, track work, intervals, MP sessions.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭pudgeydev

Exciting times for tomorrow, not felt like this since waiting on cao offers many moons ago... good luck to you all who have trained and are hoping for a spot :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭Moycullen1

Anyone hear anything from DCM HQ yet?????

• Advertisement

Moycullen1 wrote: »
    Anyone hear anything from DCM HQ yet?????
    Won't hear until 4pm they've said... ages away!

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭AAD

pudgeydev wrote: »
    Won't hear until 4pm they've said... ages away!

After Joe Duffy has gone off air for the day. Good thinking by HQ.

Fek...

"Unfortunately, even with our best efforts we have not been able to offer you a place. We truly are sorry as obviously we would like to facilitate the maximum number of people possible. It, however, is just not possible to accommodate all in this years event. Again sorry to have to disappoint you. We do hope you will join us in 2017."

No go for me, gutted, was pretty optimistic as I'd registered on the waiting list within a few hours of it opening...

Ah well, might chance Galway full on October 1st. Not ideal but will try to bate through it.

Good luck to all doing DCM anyways, it's a great marathon!!

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭Moycullen1

pudgeydev wrote: »
    Fek...

"Unfortunately, even with our best efforts we have not been able to offer you a place. We truly are sorry as obviously we would like to facilitate the maximum number of people possible. It, however, is just not possible to accommodate all in this years event. Again sorry to have to disappoint you. We do hope you will join us in 2017."

No go for me, gutted, was pretty optimistic as I'd registered on the waiting list within a few hours of it opening...

Ah well, might chance Galway full on October 1st. Not ideal but will try to bate through it.

Good luck to all doing DCM anyways, it's a great marathon!!

Same here... double fek!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Aww, sorry to hear that. I did get in, thankfully!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭averagejoe123

Moycullen1 wrote: »
    Same here... double fek!

Unlucky guys. It's a shame that people have to miss out but it is great that the Dublin marathon has grown so much in popularity.

Hopefully everyone else who misses out accepts it as well as you two. I am seriously getting annoyed with some of the negative comments on facebook directed at the organisers. They have done a great job at keeping people updated and trying to be fair to all.

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭kittyclaws

LauraLynn have just posted on their Facebook page that they have 4 numbers available - might be worth emailing if you're happy to raise funds for them.

Unlucky guys. It's a shame that people have to miss out but it is great that the Dublin marathon has grown so much in popularity.

Hopefully everyone else who misses out accepts it as well as you two. I am seriously getting annoyed with some of the negative comments on facebook directed at the organisers. They have done a great job at keeping people updated and trying to be fair to all.

Yeah, it's frustrating as hell but can't blame the organisers, I must have said to myself forty times, "I must register now later/tomorrow for that" but never did.

Time to sign up for Galway... love dem winds and hills :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 32 hutchy_belfast

I got in but won't be taking my spot. Apparently there is no swapping of waves. Trying to run 2h 49 in the 4h 30 wave through 15k people doesn't appeal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭clickerquicklic

I got a spot today , I'm not sure if I'm going to do it or not I haven't ran past 15km yet, I've 7 days to sign up now with code , good chance I won't do unless I do a 20km run this weekend . Hopefully I haven't wasted a spot and it can be re allocated .unlucky those that haven't got in

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

I got a spot today , I'm not sure if I'm going to do it or not I haven't ran past 15km yet, I've 7 days to sign up now with code , good chance I won't do unless I do a 20km run this weekend . Hopefully I haven't wasted a spot and it can be re allocated .unlucky those that haven't got in

I'm not sure if the codes are tied to people, but in the event you don't use it, it will be reallocated.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,659 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

I got in but won't be taking my spot. Apparently there is no swapping of waves. Trying to run 2h 49 in the 4h 30 wave through 15k people doesn't appeal.

Don't stress, you have plenty of time to register for that dour excuse for a marathon in your home town next spring.

This is really putting me off I would be running 3:30 if I do run , having to start with 4:30 wave makes no sense at all .

chrislad wrote: »
    I'm not sure if the codes are tied to people, but in the event you don't use it, it will be reallocated.

The code is my full name followed by numbers and letters so they seem to be tied to people , let's hope they are reallocated so others that want to run can.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,186 ✭✭✭ooter

They will be reallocated if they aren't taken up, it says so in the email.
    It is ONLY valid from 1st September for seven days and if you have not used it then it will be distributed to people still on our waiting list.

• Advertisement

Don't stress, you have plenty of time to register for that dour excuse for a marathon in your home town next spring.
    Thanks but it appeals even less than charging down 8000 jog walkers. Woeful woeful course and as poorly supported a marathon as I've ever seen. Bit soon after Boston for me too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,186 ✭✭✭ooter

Thanks but it appeals even less than charging down 8000 jog walkers. Woeful woeful course and as poorly supported a marathon as I've ever seen. Bit soon after Boston for me too.

I've only ran London, Belfast and Dublin so don't have a lot to compare it to but Dublin is very well supported in my opinion, Dublin was my first marathon and I was absolutely blown away by the support on the course that day.

Yup Dublin is very well supported. Not quite on the level of the absolute elite i.e London, Chicago, Boston but in an entirely different league to Belfast who I wouldn't recommend to anyone despite it being very cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭wpd

think there will be a 2nd round of offers after the 7 days

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭dublin runner

It may be a woeful course but poorly supported? No chance. Have you ran any other marathon in Ireland or any non-city marathon??

It equals Rotterdam in my opinion. I will hold judgement on the Boston etc. To say it's poorly supported though is laughable in my opinion.

Agree about the course though!

It may be a woeful course but poorly supported? No chance. Have you ran any other marathon in Ireland or any non-city marathon??

It equals Rotterdam in my opinion. I will hold judgement on the Boston etc. To say it's poorly supported though is laughable in my opinion.

Agree about the course though!
    We are talking about Belfast being poorly supported yes!? There's about 12 people out at it!!??10 of them are in the last 100m and the other 2 are moaning that they can't get out of their drive. As I said above Dublin is fantastically supported if not quite on the absolute world stage level. If you find that laughable fair enough....

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭Ed Mc Groarty

Belfast is well supported at the relay changeovers and now that I think about it there's very few sections that doesn't have someone supporting, the stretch along the path next to the motorway being one. Comparing any Irish marathon to Dublin will make their support look weak.

I like the course, it challenging in parts.

Shame that stretch lasts from the 17m markers at Gideon's green until the 22 or 23m point around the fish after you've gone through the ever popular dargan industry estate. There's also.nobody about between the 3m turn around and the first relay point at 6ish.

Belfast could be great but sadly it isn't. Mainly because instead of designing a route to showcase Belfast they stubbornly stick with one which inconveniences as few folk every single year. It just so happens that route is woeful to run.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,937 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Made the lottery and just did my entry, a little bit annoyed about the Wave 4 start but I guess beggers can't be choosers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭Ed Mc Groarty

Belfast could be great but sadly it isn't. Mainly because instead of designing a route to showcase Belfast they stubbornly stick with one which inconveniences as few folk every single year.

Agree

Advertisement