Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin City Marathon 2016 *NO NUMBER SWAPS/SALES/TRANSFERS*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

I got in but won't be taking my spot. Apparently there is no swapping of waves. Trying to run 2h 49 in the 4h 30 wave through 15k people doesn't appeal.

If you start at the front of the 4:30 wave you have a free run, in contrast to if you started in your "natural" wave. By the time you have caught up to the next wave the runners will be well spread out and you won't have to weave through the gaps.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 hutchy_belfast

I got in but won't be taking my spot. Apparently there is no swapping of waves. Trying to run 2h 49 in the 4h 30 wave through 15k people doesn't appeal.

If you start at the front of the 4:30 wave you have a free run, in contrast to if you started in your "natural" wave. By the time you have caught up to the next wave the runners will be well spread out and you won't have to weave through the gaps.
    That would be great if it were the case, how far apart are they splitting the waves? I figured that it would be unlikely to even be 5 mins from last person in the wave in front to first person of wave behind in which case I'll be on them in just over a mile and it'll likely be curb to curb I'd have thought with 15k+ folk out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Bahanaman

Initially I was thinking there'd be problems trying to get through the field but the more I thought about it I began to come around to your view TFB. There should be enough space for faster running given the staggered starts. With the bigger crowds now though I wonder if there's an argument for trying to relocate the start point to a place that allows a longer run before the first turn. It would give more of a chance for the field to disperse and lessen the chance of a bottleneck at the first turn.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭dublin runner

We are talking about Belfast being poorly supported yes!? There's about 12 people out at it!!??10 of them are in the last 100m and the other 2 are moaning that they can't get out of their drive. As I said above Dublin is fantastically supported if not quite on the absolute world stage level. If you find that laughable fair enough....

Ah, soz. I didn't read far enough back.

Regarding the lottery system. I do think DCM have done a very good job but lumping all people into the lower waves is something I actually do not agree with. Waves should be assigned to planned speed.

You have though missed your natural placing in the race. You will have to run the race solo, unless you seriously put the foot down to catch up with groups of similar placed runners. Also, it's a race. I know it's chip timed but placings are placings.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

You have though missed your natural placing in the race. You will have to run the race solo, unless you seriously put the foot down to catch up with groups of similar placed runners. Also, it's a race. I know it's chip timed but placings are placings.

I would think there is a reasonably good chance of other fast runners being in the same position, so you might not have to run solo.

But if place is important to you then yes, starting in the last wave sucks. No doubt about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Mr abbey

Is there anybody that didn't get a code that still wants to register?

I see code numbers are not specific to people. Name, info and email is all only entered and registeted after using code.

Just to note as well I know wave 4 isn't a ideal option but it is only 70 now as well!

What do you mean it is only 70? I'm not fussed on placing at all but wanted a time for NY/ Berlin. If they go on gun time that's obviously a non starter. I wonder how and how rigidly the waves will be enforced?
    In years gone by it was a free for all

What do you mean it is only 70? I'm not fussed on placing at all but wanted a time for NY/ Berlin. If they go on gun time that's obviously a non starter. I wonder how and how rigidly the waves will be enforced?

70 euro when I registered this morning. Supposed to be 90 in September

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭nhunter100

What do you mean it is only 70? I'm not fussed on placing at all but wanted a time for NY/ Berlin. If they go on gun time that's obviously a non starter. I wonder how and how rigidly the waves will be enforced? In years gone by it was a free for all

Your wave start is on your race bib. Colour coded I think.

As far as I know, chip time is acceptable. It's what I have always used.

Yeah, usually the waves are a complete free-for-all but things may change this year in organisation (doubt it though as it's extremely hard to police).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

Mr abbey wrote: »
    70 euro when I registered this morning. Supposed to be 90 in September

Er, hasn't it been closed for ages?

davedanon wrote:
    Er, hasn't it been closed for ages?

2000 places were released yesterday. Code required to enter.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Same here. It said 80 when I went to book it, but payment was 73.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭schqually

Got my "Sorry to have to disappoint you..." email yesterday.
    Had been continuing to train as hard as I could in the hope that I'd get accepted from the waiting list, but have no complaints about how it's been organised and managed. They're in an impossible situation with the volume of entries and there was always going to be some who they were not able to accommodate.
    I've learned my lesson - will get in early next year and will do my best to stay injury free :eek:
    Roll on the Dublin HM and good luck to all who received a positive email yesterday!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

nhunter100 wrote: »
    2000 places were released yesterday. Code required to enter.

Oh I know. But I thought there were 4000+ on the waiting list already. Surely if you're registering now you have no chance.

davedanon wrote:
    Oh I know. But I thought there were 4000+ on the waiting list already. Surely if you're registering now you have no chance.

2000 of the 4000 on the waiting list received a code yesterday to enter. The code is valid till the 7th of September. If not used by then the place is allocated to someone else on the waiting list.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,081 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

I would have thought being the National Championships that an exception could have been made for AAI registered athletes.

BeepBeep67 wrote:
    I would have thought being the National Championships that an exception could have been made for AAI registered athletes.

Yeah, that would have been preferable. I know this is unpopular but I feel DCM are trying to fit a square peg into a round whole and should not have extended the deadline, especially in the manner in which they did. People had 9 months to enter. It's that simple.

I think DCM has done a brilliant job but the whole lottery system just doesn't work in my eyes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

Anyone who didn't sign up in time only has themselves to blame,

BUT

The waves/corrals should be allocated based on qualifying times regardless of how soon/late you sign up. That way you won't get anyone (apart from the odd bousy) in a wave where they're not capable of keeping the pace of those around them, at least in the early stages when it's congested. It's that simple.

I'm surprised this hasn't been implemented before now. Dublin is the only marathon I've come to a complete standstill in because of crowds/bottlenecks, having also run marathons with four times the amount of participants from that day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

How bad does it get? only previous race experience is the Achill HM. Although I'm doing the Dublin half so I guess I'll have some sort of idea

• Registered Users Posts: 2,623 ✭✭✭dna_leri

BeepBeep67 wrote: »

Club members have the same responsibility as anyone else to register in time for an event. However I know the DCM organisers met with Athletics Ireland in advance of any announcement and let them know that places were filling up fast. AI in turn communicated this to club secretaries before the announcement was made on 10 August. It was up to each club then to inform members as they wanted.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

RasTa wrote: »
    How bad does it get? only previous race experience is the Achill HM. Although I'm doing the Dublin half so I guess I'll have some sort of idea

The Dublin Half, when I did it last year, was very congested for the first half for me (I was with the 2:00 pacers) - I didn't find the same issues with the 4:30 pacers in the marathon, but I was in the right group and wasn't looking to overtake.

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭frankie2shoes

Does anybody know if photo id is required to pick up your race bib? Am coming up from Kilkenny for this one and would rather not have to stay overnight on saturday to pick up my bib no/chip etc. I've a friend who can collect it for me.....

Last year they gave mine to a friend but he had my I'd and a letter stating I gave him permission to pick it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

Saw this on the Wicklow Hospice Foundation Facebook Page just incase anyone dosen't get a place in Dublin.

Anybody miss out on the Dublin City Marathon this year?? Don't let all your training go to waste The Wicklow Hospice is thinking of running a Wicklow Marathon the week before Dublin so your training is on track!! Please post below if you would be interested in this event and if there is enough interest we will organise it. A rough idea of the route would be Wicklow to Arklow and maybe back along the coast or an extension of the Kilomarathon Route?? http://www.athleticstiming.com/fionnuala-mccormack-kilomara…; training and don't let all your hard work go to waste!! I'm on holidays till the 29th of August but please contact Bill Porter on 0872928660 for more information.

This is definitely going ahead now for anyone missing out on Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭migozarad

Struggling with ITB syndrome atm..my training this past week FWIW consisted of as follows:
    Mon29th:Rest
    Tues30th:(Crosstraining) Cycling 1hr 20mins av.HR 141/76% MHR& core conditioning 60mins.
    Wed:31st:Run 6miles tempo av.HR 161/88% MHR/7.50min per mile.
    Thurs1st:(Injury-induced) Rest
    Fri2nd:Run 6miles on treadmill on 3% incline av.HR 162/8.05 min per mile.
    Sat:Core circuit&strength workout 60mins
    Sun:17miles LSR @ 70% MHR/10min per mile.
    Targets:KK 30k Medieval Marathon Sept 17th& Dublin City Marathon (my first) Oct 30th-target time for the latter sub 4hrs 15mins.

Lots of icing,foam rolling,cross-training for the week ahead but will be doing a mini-taper ahead of KK event.
    Lastly,Up Tipp/Tiob abu!

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Airtel31

I'm struggling at the moment I had a minor operation 5 weeks ago before which I was well up 13 to 14 miles I was 2 weeks recovering, today I struggled to 12 miles granted the last 4 k was up hill all the way, I've done 3 marathons before just wondering is there any suggestions on what I should concentrate on over the remaining time missed out on the half considering doing Cork to Cobh which is 15 miles first week October.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭Clearlier

Airtel31 wrote: »
    I'm struggling at the moment I had a minor operation 5 weeks ago before which I was well up 13 to 14 miles I was 2 weeks recovering, today I struggled to 12 miles granted the last 4 k was up hill all the way, I've done 3 marathons before just wondering is there any suggestions on what I should concentrate on over the remaining time missed out on the half considering doing Cork to Cobh which is 15 miles first week October.

You'll need to offer a lot more detail about your training to get proper advice but if you're struggling to 12 miles at the moment then you're clearly going to need to focus on endurance. Long run at the weekend and another one in the middle of the week will probably be what you need to focus on.

Advertisement