Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin City Marathon 2016 *NO NUMBER SWAPS/SALES/TRANSFERS*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 760 ✭✭✭PGL

Hi Folks

Apologies if this question has been asked already.

For my long runs at the weekend, I am doing them in my local area in Dublin, which is not on the marathon route. Would it be necessary for me to do some of my remaining long runs on sections of the marathon route in order to get used to it for the big day? If so, what sections of the route would people recommend should be covered?

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭Run and Jump

PGL wrote: »
    Hi Folks

For my long runs at the weekend, I am doing them in my local area in Dublin, which is not on the marathon route. Would it be necessary for me to do some of my remaining long runs on sections of the marathon route in order to get used to it for the big day? If so, what sections of the route would people recommend should be covered?

Thanks!

Not necessary at all, but if you think it will help you then go ahead. If your current long run has a couple of decent hills in it then that's already good prep for the DCM route.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

PGL wrote: »
    Hi Folks

Thanks!

If you're going to run on the route, I'd recommend the two uphill sections - up through the park to Castleknock, and from the Dropping Well to the top of Fosters Avenue.
    The first is only a drag, but it's good to run it, recognise that there is a drag, and adjust accordingly.
    The second is the toughest part of the course. Good to know what to expect.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

RayCun wrote: »
    If you're going to run on the route, I'd recommend the two uphill sections - up through the park to Castleknock, and from the Dropping Well to the top of Fosters Avenue.
    The first is only a drag, but it's good to run it, recognise that there is a drag, and adjust accordingly.
    The second is the toughest part of the course. Good to know what to expect.

I think the drag in the middle of the second section Ray mentions is tough, from O'Shea's pub up to Birds Avenue.

The climb in Milltown you get your recovery in on the way back down again and the same for Roebuck Castle, recovery down Foster Avenue.

If you live in the area I would do one good long run of loops on this section.

Basically starting at Milltown Bridge, go towards Ranelagh and turn right at lights up towards Clonskeagh. Turn left after the Mosque and brings you Roebuck Castle hill.
    At Roebuck Castle Hill turn right towards Goatstown, go across the junction towards Dundrum and at the luas bridge turn right to bring you back into Milltown! Repeat!

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Airtel31

Clearlier wrote: »
    You'll need to offer a lot more detail about your training to get proper advice but if you're struggling to 12 miles at the moment then you're clearly going to need to focus on endurance. Long run at the weekend and another one in the middle of the week will probably be what you need to focus on.

My runs during the week consists 6 to 8 km marathon pace 5 to 5.5 mins about 4 days a week with a long runs at the weekend I think your right maybe
    doing 10 miles on a Wednesday might the way to go

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭Clearlier

Airtel31 wrote: »
    My runs during the week consists 6 to 8 km marathon pace 5 to 5.5 mins about 4 days a week with a long runs at the weekend I think your right maybe
    doing 10 miles on a Wednesday might the way to go

If I'm reading that right you're currently running 5 times a week (great!) but aside from the weekend you're not going over 5 miles? Weekday pace is between 8 and 9 mins per mile and a quick browse through your history suggests that 4:15 (9:40ish pace) would be a reasonable improvement on last time out.

First thought is - do you really want to do this? No matter what you do between now and the marathon you're going to be seriously undertrained.
    Second thought is that if you take this seriously in the future I'd bet you'll run under 3:30 and perhaps a bit faster than that too.

Assuming that you have set your heart on finishing then yes a midweek run of 10 miles will help you towards that but if you're struggling to complete 12 at the weekend you might want to start at 9 and work your way up adding a mile each week. There are 8 weeks to go so for your two main runs of the week I'd suggest something like:

Week 1: 9 & 13
    Week 2: 10 & 14
    Week 3: 11 & 16
    Week 4: 8 & 12
    Week 5: 12 & 18
    Week 6: 13 & 18
    Week 7: 10 & 12
    Week 8: 5w 2@realistic marathon pace wearing the kit that you're going to wear on the day & marathon.

Add in a few short recovery runs say about 3 miles/5km at a very easy pace and effort* but focusing on good body posture and I think that you'll be as well prepared as you can be given the time left.

You're going to have to slow yourself down a bit to achieve that. 10:15 - 10:30 mins per mile is about as fast as you should be going on the longer runs.

*You should feel better after a recovery run than you did before it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭az2wp0sye65487

Hi All,

It's been a while since I've been on boards! Just wondering if anyone can advise....

I booked entry for both the half and full marathon a good few months back as an incentive to try force myself to go back running again. Anyway, due to a couple of setbacks and injury I never really got into the swing of training and I've come to realise that I realistically won't be able to run in either of these events.

Does anyone know if the DCM organisers allow you to hand back your entry and refund your fee?

Thanks in advance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭clickerquicklic

Airtel31 wrote: »
    I'm struggling at the moment I had a minor operation 5 weeks ago before which I was well up 13 to 14 miles I was 2 weeks recovering, today I struggled to 12 miles granted the last 4 k was up hill all the way, I've done 3 marathons before just wondering is there any suggestions on what I should concentrate on over the remaining time missed out on the half considering doing Cork to Cobh which is 15 miles first week October.

It's hard to know , depends on the individual I look at training plans and can't believe how much and how har people run , longest run I did was 16k that was about 2/3 weeks ago , I run about 3/4 times a week mostly 5-8km runs and a park run.

I missed out on half marathon myself I'll do one run of 25km between now and marathon and the rest of the time just run like I am now a few 5-8km runs. Ran twice a week for my last marathon and it was fine, this could be down to the individual but for my money training 5 times a week and running long runs every week seems extreme.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭Run and Jump

Hi All,

It's been a while since I've been on boards! Just wondering if anyone can advise....

I booked entry for both the half and full marathon a good few months back as an incentive to try force myself to go back running again. Anyway, due to a couple of setbacks and injury I never really got into the swing of training and I've come to realise that I realistically won't be able to run in either of these events.

Does anyone know if the DCM organisers allow you to hand back your entry and refund your fee?

Thanks in advance.

DCM website FAQs says there are no refunds:
    http://sseairtricitydublinmarathon.ie/frequently-asked-questions/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

I'm sure this has been asked before but what is the process for someone else collecting your bag from the expo if there was problems with a flight e.g.

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Woden wrote: »
    I'm sure this has been asked before but what is the process for someone else collecting your bag from the expo if there was problems with a flight e.g.

Thanks

best to phone the marathon office and ask

I think they've been getting stricter in recent years

Just off the phone to their office there and a helpful lady that said if I was to send someone with my acceptance letter, photo id and a note authorising them they can collect.

I'm trying to decide between a Friday evening and Saturday morning flight basically..

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Airtel31

Clearlier wrote: »
    If I'm reading that right you're currently running 5 times a week (great!) but aside from the weekend you're not going over 5 miles? Weekday pace is between 8 and 9 mins per mile and a quick browse through your history suggests that 4:15 (9:40ish pace) would be a reasonable improvement on last time out.

First thought is - do you really want to do this? No matter what you do between now and the marathon you're going to be seriously undertrained.
    Second thought is that if you take this seriously in the future I'd bet you'll run under 3:30 and perhaps a bit faster than that too.

Assuming that you have set your heart on finishing then yes a midweek run of 10 miles will help you towards that but if you're struggling to complete 12 at the weekend you might want to start at 9 and work your way up adding a mile each week. There are 8 weeks to go so for your two main runs of the week I'd suggest something like:

Week 1: 9 & 13
    Week 2: 10 & 14
    Week 3: 11 & 16
    Week 4: 8 & 12
    Week 5: 12 & 18
    Week 6: 13 & 18
    Week 7: 10 & 12
    Week 8: 5w 2@realistic marathon pace wearing the kit that you're going to wear on the day & marathon.

Add in a few short recovery runs say about 3 miles/5km at a very easy pace and effort* but focusing on good body posture and I think that you'll be as well prepared as you can be given the time left.

You're going to have to slow yourself down a bit to achieve that. 10:15 - 10:30 mins per mile is about as fast as you should be going on the longer runs.

*You should feel better after a recovery run than you did before it.
    Thanks will defiantly give this a go I like your confidence about 3.30 hopefully the next one I will definitely be more prepared can you tell me what week 8 means

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭M.J.M.C

I am absolutely sick that I can't sign up and pay to do the marathon. Totally gutted.
    Been training for months - it's my own fault leaving it this late but totally gutted I can't do it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

M.J.M.C wrote: »
    I am absolutely sick that I can't sign up and pay to do the marathon. Totally gutted.
    Been training for months - it's my own fault leaving it this late but totally gutted I can't do it now.

If training for months why didn't you check the media regularly?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭ger664

There are plenty of marathons either side of Dublin. MCI and EOI run marathons on a regular basics.
    Thers is one in Ballina and Eddie Murphy in Sixmilebridge in November.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Mr abbey

It's hard to know , depends on the individual I look at training plans and can't believe how much and how har people run , longest run I did was 16k that was about 2/3 weeks ago , I run about 3/4 times a week mostly 5-8km runs and a park run.

I missed out on half marathon myself I'll do one run of 25km between now and marathon and the rest of the time just run like I am now a few 5-8km runs. Ran twice a week for my last marathon and it was fine, this could be down to the individual but for my money training 5 times a week and running long runs every week seems extreme.

Just wondering, what average times do u run a marathon in. I do similar, 3 runs a week.

If training for months why didn't you check the media regularly?

Cause I'm an idiot :rolleyes:
    I usually do the entire race series but couldn't this year, my own fault for being stupid like I said.
    Managed to get an entry in the end but won't let it go this late again.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭schqually

Managed to get an entry in the end but won't let it go this late again.

Good work on getting an entry for yourself.
    Can I ask how you managed it? I'm in the same boat and also didn't get a place from the waiting list.
    Although I might run a different marathon instead, the Dublin marathon is the one I really want to run. I'm prepared to go down any route to get an entry, but so far it's not working out for me and I'm coming up against brick walls.

I saw these guys post on the DCM facebook page and some comments from people saying they got in with them
    http://www.getkidsgoing.com/marathons.htm

Basically it's a UK Charity for disabled kids, that still have entries (till noon today) you have to pay the entry fee which is now 90euro/ 70gbp and give a donation at a later date (100gbp is what others have paid she said)
    Totally up to you if you want to do it, but DCM means at lot to me, especially since I failed in my last attempt so I wanted in badly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭schqually

I saw these guys post on the DCM facebook page and some comments from people saying they got in with them
    http://www.getkidsgoing.com/marathons.htm

Basically it's a UK Charity for disabled kids, that still have entries (till noon today) you have to pay the entry fee which is now 90euro/ 70gbp and give a donation at a later date (100gbp is what others have paid she said)
    Totally up to you if you want to do it, but DCM means at lot to me, especially since I failed in my last attempt so I wanted in badly.

Thanks for the info, much appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,186 ✭✭✭ooter

Mr abbey wrote: »
    Just wondering, what average times do u run a marathon in. I do similar, 3 runs a week.

I've run 4 Marathons, my first I ran 4 times a week and bagged a sub 3:30, my second marathon I trained 5 times a week and bagged a sub 3:15, the next one I didn't train properly for and only entered about 3 weeks before the race and just managed to sneak under 4 hours, easily my worst experience. For my 4th marathon i only trained 3 times a week and bagged a comfortable enough sub 4.
    I would love to go sub 3 one day but I doubt my body could cope with the mileage and number of runs per week required.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Beast41

MJMC I also missed out on an entry this year, I just tried to log onto that website you mentioned but it's looking for €35 sterling upfront. Just wondering is it defo legit?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭gucci

Woden wrote: »
    Just off the phone to their office there and a helpful lady that said if I was to send someone with my acceptance letter, photo id and a note authorising them they can collect.

I'm trying to decide between a Friday evening and Saturday morning flight basically..

This might sound like a very dumb question, but does the person collecting it need to have a photo ID with the name you have nominated in the note?

I think thats what you mean!!

I am flying in Sat afternoon too and it might just be as easy to get my friend to pick mine up if he is going over Sat morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Sparkles2012

Beast41 wrote: »
    MJMC I also missed out on an entry this year, I just tried to log onto that website you mentioned but it's looking for €35 sterling upfront. Just wondering is it defo legit?

Ring them Tel: 0207 481 8110

gucci wrote: »
    This might sound like a very dumb question, but does the person collecting it need to have a photo ID with the name you have nominated in the note?

I think thats what you mean!!

I am flying in Sat afternoon too and it might just be as easy to get my friend to pick mine up if he is going over Sat morning.

I had taken it to mean they'd have photo id belonging to me and I was going to give da mother my drivers licence when she was over here next. However might be worth giving them a buzz to clarify?

I settled on a Friday evening flight in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

I asked DCM the same question, here is their reply

"if you can't make it then a friend/family member can collect it for you as long as you provide them with signed written permission to do so & they've ID with them on the day. They will only be able to collect one pack on the day as well".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭jlang

RubyK wrote: »
    "They will only be able to collect one pack on the day as well"

Huh? I'm not sure I'm reading that right. Why shouldn't several people nominate the same collector? Why shouldn't the collector be a runner going to pick up their own race pack?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ligerdub

Has anyone on here managed to snag themselves a number via a charity such as the getkidsgoing one mentioned just earlier?

I'm considering this as an option and I'm curious if anyone has any feedback they'd be willing to share.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭Hard Worker

jlang wrote: »
    Huh? I'm not sure I'm reading that right. Why shouldn't several people nominate the same collector? Why shouldn't the collector be a runner going to pick up their own race pack?

A runner can collect his or her own number plus another number once they have the proper accreditation and permission.

Advertisement