Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin City Marathon 2016 *NO NUMBER SWAPS/SALES/TRANSFERS*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭sub3wannabe

ligerdub wrote: »
    Has anyone on here managed to snag themselves a number via a charity such as the getkidsgoing one mentioned just earlier?

I'm considering this as an option and I'm curious if anyone has any feedback they'd be willing to share.

Hey. Thanks to the poster who flagged up the getkidsgoing charity I have been successful in obtaining a place. I paid the requested £35 through their website late last night, they then rang me this morning and said that due to late entry the price was now 90 euro so I happily payed the remaining deficit and officially received my DCM 2016 entry:)

I'm over the moon to get in, I was cursing myself for missing the deadline, really careless on my part. Cheers again to the poster who gave this as an option.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,454 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

I see you can do the Berlin marathon for only £1 on that site too. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ligerdub

They are sold out now, as of yesterday. I just missed out.

• Registered Users Posts: 760 ✭✭✭PGL

RayCun wrote: »
    If you're going to run on the route, I'd recommend the two uphill sections - up through the park to Castleknock, and from the Dropping Well to the top of Fosters Avenue.
    The first is only a drag, but it's good to run it, recognise that there is a drag, and adjust accordingly.
    The second is the toughest part of the course. Good to know what to expect.

Hi RayCun and Run & Jump

Thanks for your feedback. There are some decent hills in my local area, which generally have steeper gradients than the hills on the marathon route. However the key difference is that the hills in my local area are a lot shorter than the marathon route hills. For this reason, I'm thinking it might make sense to do my 20 mile LSR in a few weeks on the marathon route between miles 2 (Ushers Quay) to 22 (Roebuck Road / Fosters Avenue). This will be a lot more hassle than running in my local area, as I'll need to get a bus into town, and arrange for someone to collect me over at Fosters Avenue.

Do you think this is necessary?

Many thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

PGL wrote: »

I don't think it's necessary.
    It is useful to know the route and have some practice running on it, but you don't have to. Lots of people do races abroad where they don't have any experience of the route at all.
    (if you're going to do it, you could get the bus back into town from the bottom of Fosters Avenue)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,517 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

It's been three years since I ran Dublin, but one of the things I do remember is doing a training run with a buddy that included that hill climb. We made of point of recording some visual queues, so we knew where we were on the hill and how much we had left, and that helped significantly. When you could look further up the road and appreciate that you were approaching the end of the climb it helped tremendously. It also helps neutralize any anxiety or apprehension you might have about the day when you have some familiar sites and landmarks, particularly as you approach the end of the race.

So is it necessary? Definitely not. Is it beneficial? Certainly!

• Registered Users Posts: 760 ✭✭✭PGL

RayCun wrote: »
    I don't think it's necessary.
    It is useful to know the route and have some practice running on it, but you don't have to. Lots of people do races abroad where they don't have any experience of the route at all.
    (if you're going to do it, you could get the bus back into town from the bottom of Fosters Avenue)

Hi RayCun

It's not so much route familiarity that I am concerned with, more the long hills which do not exist in my local area.

As for getting home from Fosters Avenue, I would need to catch 2 buses - after 20 miles I am fit for next to nothing for the first few hours!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

I don't know where you live. But on a 20 mile run, could you run to Clonskeagh by a more direct route instead of following the marathon route, so you can also run (some of the way ) home afterwards? The useful thing is not running up the hill at 20 miles but, as Krusty said, being familiar with the climb and knowing when it is almost over.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭Run and Jump

Hi RayCun and Run & Jump

Thanks for your feedback. There are some decent hills in my local area, which generally have steeper gradients than the hills on the marathon route. However the key difference is that the hills in my local area are a lot shorter than the marathon route hills. For this reason, I'm thinking it might make sense to do my 20 mile LSR in a few weeks on the marathon route between miles 2 (Ushers Quay) to 22 (Roebuck Road / Fosters Avenue). This will be a lot more hassle than running in my local area, as I'll need to get a bus into town, and arrange for someone to collect me over at Fosters Avenue.

Many thanks!

As RayCun and Krusty say, it isn't necessary and it's probably more useful as a reconnaissance mission to pick out landmarks to reassure you for race day. From Milltown to Roebuck is a series of short climbs with flat sections between, not one long drag, so knowing that much will ease your mind that you can catch a breather on the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭M.J.M.C

Cheers again to the poster who gave this as an option.

That was me, glad you're sorted too.
    Got my email confirmation the other day, we have to start in Wave 3 but better than nothing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭QuantumP

Can anyone tell me how the Dublin Marathon compares to Paris in terms of profile/difficulty?

Edit: FWIW - I'm not being lazy, I have looked at the profile graphs but different units & scales make it difficult to compare.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭Run and Jump

QuantumP wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me how the Dublin Marathon compares to Paris in terms of profile/difficulty?

Edit: FWIW - I'm not being lazy, I have looked at the profile graphs but different units & scales make it difficult to compare.

Dublin is tougher than Paris in terms of climbing - a long drag up Stoneybatter and the Park in the first 6 miles, then short sharp climbs at St Laurence Road, Milltown and Roebuck. (By contrast, Paris starts downhill, is mostly flat all around, and the only climbs are out of the underpasses along the Seine around miles 16-17).

However, Dublin in October isn't as warm as Paris in April, there's more running room with a smaller field (12,000 compared to 45,000) and the crowds and atmosphere all around the Dublin course are way, way better than Paris.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

A mate has lost his confirmation email. Can this be resent.?

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭averagejoe123

Dub13 wrote: »
    A mate has lost his confirmation email. Can this be resent.?

They are very responsive through facebook and by telephone so I'd say they are better off getting in touch that way ASAP

• Registered Users Posts: 2,253 ✭✭✭donnacha

Any confirmation on who the pacers are for DCM? I'm doing the half this weekend and have a goal of 3:30 for DCM. Finally got a 20 mile run in at the weekend and am thinking of doing a 7 mile slow warm-up this Sat followed by running the half at MP (so that'll be with the 1:45 group). I've then got the 3/4 marathon in Oct so feeling a bit more confident that the Daniels 26 wk 2q plan has me in okay shape. Just curious to know if the pacers might be the same as I see on the novices thread that Marthastew is doing the 2hr HM group and 4hr marathon group.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

donnacha wrote: »
    Any confirmation on who the pacers are for DCM? I'm doing the half this weekend and have a goal of 3:30 for DCM. Finally got a 20 mile run in at the weekend and am thinking of doing a 7 mile slow warm-up this Sat followed by running the half at MP (so that'll be with the 1:45 group). I've then got the 3/4 marathon in Oct so feeling a bit more confident that the Daniels 26 wk 2q plan has me in okay shape. Just curious to know if the pacers might be the same as I see on the novices thread that Marthastew is doing the 2hr HM group and 4hr marathon group.

The exact lineup of the pacers can sometimes change at the last minute as someone drops out sick or injured. In general, most of the guys and gals who paced the half will also be pacing the full but there are more pacers in the full marathon. Just ask the pacers you are running with if they are also pacing DCM if you really want to know.

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭UM1

donnacha wrote: »
    There is no 1:45 group on sats half..pace teams arent set in stone yet for dcm

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭Coffee Fulled Runner

How many pacers are there "normally" for each time?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭nhunter100

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

3 in Dublin, 2 anywhere else (1 if they can't find a second 3-hour pacer :) )

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭hot buttered scones

It might be worth noting that Dublin Bus are on strike on Saturday 29th of October for those planning on getting the bus to the RDS for number pick up etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭DC.

Any recommendations for a pre-race dinner in Dublin? Staying around O'Connell st. so somewhere handy to there would be great.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

DC. wrote: »
    Any recommendations for a pre-race dinner in Dublin? Staying around O'Connell st. so somewhere handy to there would be great.

Saturday evening on a bank holiday weekend will be busy, so do book ahead.

There's a few good Italians down the quays if you're looking for the stereotypical pre-marathon pasta feed:
    http://www.baritalia.ie/menus
    http://www.wallacewinebars.ie/?page_id=1140

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭DC.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Long shot, but is there anyone stuck in Wave 4 who is aiming for 4:20 to 4:30 and wants a running buddy for the day? I tend to train alone but perform better when racing with someone!

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭echancrure

chrislad wrote: »
    Long shot, but is there anyone stuck in Wave 4 who is aiming for 4:20 to 4:30 and wants a running buddy for the day? I tend to train alone but perform better when racing with someone!

There'll be plenty of running buddies around you: just get chatting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

chrislad wrote: »

Join the 4.20 pacing group. It's the pace band to be in at DCM this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 250 ✭✭joesoap5

davedanon wrote: »

What pace lsr would you be doing for 4.20?

echancrure wrote: »
    There'll be plenty of running buddies around you: just get chatting.

The issue is that I'm in Wave 4. Wave 4 is a mix of those who are going for 4:35+ and people who got lottery entries, so it's hard to know who is going for what time. I'm sure I'll end up chatting to whoever, but it'd be nice to have someone from the start with the same goal.

• Advertisement

davedanon wrote: »

I'll have to sneak into Wave 3 for that. Maybe, if I get past Barrier Man!

Advertisement