Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin City Marathon 2016 *NO NUMBER SWAPS/SALES/TRANSFERS*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭murphm45

What is car parking like in around Dublin the day of the Marathon. I was thinking of parking in around baggot st, waterloo road area.

Just a small word of warning to anyone on parking, as it's on a Sunday now there are certain areas where you have to pay to park (unlike Bank Holidays street parking isn't free everywhere). I don't think this should affect anyone because I think it's only around Stephens Green (although don;t hold me to that) but just to flag it so no one gets a nasty surprise when they get back to their car!

You should be safe enough around Baggot street and Waterloo Road though.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 budgy

Just wondering I'm staying in the mespil hotel the night before is it walkable to start line or would I be better off getting a cab

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

budgy wrote: »
    Just wondering I'm staying in the mespil hotel the night before is it walkable to start line or would I be better off getting a cab

It's 500m walk away from the start line.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 budgy

�� sound I'll chance walking so

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Djoucer

Some great analysis of the Dublin marathon.

https://medium.com/running-with-data/a-data-analysis-of-the-dublin-marathon-48138724973e#.iq3gzy4v8

Field is getting faster and older. "Those finishing within 4 hours) has also been increasing, from 25% of participants in 2000 to around 40% by 2015."

He's also done research on the benefits of running with pacers in the Dublin marathon.

https://medium.com/running-with-data/should-i-run-with-a-pace-group-ffcf3ea0c470#.woh9f8idl

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ligerdub

Good info there.

"For example, about 22% of 300-minute male finishers hit the wall while women with the same finish-time do so only 5% of the time." - he's missed a trick here. He's forgetting that a 300 minute female finisher is considered a better quality runner than a 300 minute male one.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,460 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

I wouldn't say he's forgetting it - more likely he's demonstrating it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ligerdub

Murph_D wrote: »
    I wouldn't say he's forgetting it - more likely he's demonstrating it.

Possibly into semantics, but to me he's saying that they are more disciplined by comparison based on their gender, but if the comparison isn't based on a similarly skilled runner then it's an unfair one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

The fact that he's talking about "the wall" at all makes me dubious. The wall is a bit of a creaky old concept these days. It dates back to when there was nothing but water drunk at marathons. Nowadays, with sports drinks, gels and protein bars, who prepares so badly for a marathon that they actually run their carb stores down to the point that the body starts using fat? It's inexcusable.

davedanon wrote: »
    The fact that he's talking about "the wall" at all makes me dubious. The wall is a bit of a creaky old concept these days. It dates back to when there was nothing but water drunk at marathons. Nowadays, with sports drinks, gels and protein bars, who prepares so badly for a marathon that they actually run their carb stores down to the point that the body starts using fat? It's inexcusable.

Call it what you will. He's not necessarily talking about the old
    Concept. They're hitting something and it's backed up by hard data.

The wall can mean lack of food or just tanking after going out too hard. For the sake of the data, let's just say runners hit something that results in a dramatic Loss of speed. A wall if you will.

Think you're missing the point by getting hung up what it's called.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭woody1

what time would people reccomend being there at , an hour before ?

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭DC.

Yea, anytime around 8 will let you get warmed up & then get in the crowd at the start line.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭Bugsy2000

murphm45 wrote: »
    Just a small word of warning to anyone on parking, as it's on a Sunday now there are certain areas where you have to pay to park (unlike Bank Holidays street parking isn't free everywhere). I don't think this should affect anyone because I think it's only around Stephens Green (although don;t hold me to that) but just to flag it so no one gets a nasty surprise when they get back to their car!

You should be safe enough around Baggot street and Waterloo Road though.

I was just coming on to ask about parking myself. The big problem I see is that there is a three hour limit in most spots. The last few years I've driven in to the end of the South Circular & parked on Synge Street. Leave the car there about 7am & pick it up when I'm going home that evening. With the three hour parking limit that's now out the window. Looks like I'll have to leave it in one of the multi-storey's.

Canal's will be the same as far as I can tell, three hour limit for parking.

Dublin City parking map here.
    Other info here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Bahanaman

Does anybody know if there will be extra Dart services the morning of the marathon? I'd hope to get into Pearse St. from Killester and from my reading of the timetables the usual Sunday times are no good with the first train not arriving in Killester until after nine that morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Bahanaman wrote: »
    Does anybody know if there will be extra Dart services the morning of the marathon? I'd hope to get into Pearse St. from Killester and from my reading of the timetables the usual Sunday times are no good with the first train not arriving in Killester until after nine that morning.

Isn't there usually dart works that weekend ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Jaysus just checked my train and the first one doesn't leave until 10am!

Lookin like a taxi so!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

RasTa wrote: »
    Jaysus just checked my train and the first one doesn't leave until 10am!

Good old Dublin. Getting right behind the marathon as usual.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

The marathon is almost 3 weeks away still. If everyone on here that could use a dart on the day contacts IR to ask whether they would provide an early service you never know what might happen. They put on extra trains for concerts because they know the demand is there. It's worth a shot.

Just phoned them. Was told by a very pleasant lady that they are aware of the marathon being on that day but as of now she hasn't been made aware of any changes to the timetable. She advised me to keep checking the website. In other words I'd say there are no plans to run extra trains to accommodate marathon runners.

• Advertisement

Record numbers. Completely sold out. Full road closures. Tens of thousands of spectators lining the route. Complete co-operation from Gardai, council, business people. Roads re-opened within hours after the race. Followed by Dublin city council workers to clean the roads. Hundreds of volunteers. Almost zero complaints the disruption.

But yeah, Dublin doesn't get behind the marathon at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭hot buttered scones

I'm looking at getting a cab from my hotel into town to be there for about 8. If its anything like last year, there'll be gangs of runners milling about the lobby in the morning so I shouldn't have a problem sharing one. If not, then is there anyone staying in the Clayton Hotel near Dublin Airport that wants to share a taxi?

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭saucyjack

Just phoned them. Was told by a very pleasant lady that they are aware of the marathon being on that day but as of now she hasn't been made aware of any changes to the timetable. She advised me to keep checking the website. In other words I'd say there are no plans to run extra trains to accommodate marathon runners.
    I tweeted @IrishRail and got " Hi we are finalising details are present re this event, will update asap" so will keep an eye. Agree with Firedance though...the more people ask the better.

Good on you, maybe send an email or a tweet if you're on twitter too though, the higher the demand the more likely they are to do something. I see a couple of people have already asked on twitter, the response is

'we are finalising details are present re this event, will update asap'

saucyjack wrote: »
    I tweeted @IrishRail and got " Hi we are finalising details are present re this event, will update asap" so will keep an eye. Agree with Firedance though...the more people ask the better.

ha ha that was you! I asked too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,199 ✭✭✭ooter

I know it's a much bigger city but London really does treat entrants well on marathon day, free transport to/from the start before and after the race for a few hours once you show your number.

@Bahanaman75 Hi Pat, we are still finalising details for this. Can confirm that extra capacity will be provided. Can confirm an extra (1/2)

Just tweeted Irish rail and got the above reply..... Result!

@Bahanaman75 Hi Pat, we are still finalising details for this. Can confirm that extra capacity will be provided. Can confirm an extra (1/2)

Just tweeted Irish rail and got the above reply..... Result!

Oh my god... did we just actually achieve something!! :D #powertothepeople

edit: the rest of that reply is: service from Greystones at 06.45 to Grand Canal Dock only due to line closure (2/2)

Darn I thought that the end of the first part of the tweet was that there would be an extra 1or 2 trains! Doh!

• Advertisement

Still though I'm happy enough as I'll be coming from Killester.

Advertisement