Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin City Marathon 2016 *NO NUMBER SWAPS/SALES/TRANSFERS*

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Bahanaman wrote: »
    Still though I'm happy enough as I'll be coming from Killester.

Sure run into town from there and that's your warm up sorted!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Bahanaman

Oh jesus I'm slow! Does that tweet mean there's only a train from the south side?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

Oh jesus I'm slow! Does that tweet mean there's only a train from the south side?

Yep looks like it but baby steps... they'll put one on the northside too if they're doing the SS.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 250 ✭✭joesoap5

Firedance wrote: »
    Yep looks like it but baby steps... they'll put one on the northside too if they're doing the SS.

That's what they said about the Luas..so where's the metro

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

They've confirmed early darts from both grey stones & malahide :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19 lulu34

Hi
    I'm going to watch my husband in this years marathon. Will b coming from hotel in clondalkin. Where is de best place to park?
    Was gonna park at red cow and get Luas to heuston? How long does it take to walk from Heuston to Stephens green? I'll have 2 kids in tow.
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

lulu34 wrote: »
    Hi
    I'm going to watch my husband in this years marathon. Will b coming from hotel in clondalkin. Where is de best place to park?
    Was gonna park at red cow and get Luas to heuston? How long does it take to walk from Heuston to Stephens green? I'll have 2 kids in tow.
    Thanks

Stay on Lias to abbey and then walk, much closer, prob 15/20 mins.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,186 ✭✭✭ooter

Hi
    How long does it take to walk from Heuston to Stephens green? I'll have 2 kids in tow.
    Thanks

Stay on the luas till the four courts or Jervis and walk from there, much shorter walk than from Heuston.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 lulu34

Van.bosch and ooter thanks for replies last ? How long would de Luas trip take, tks again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

Djoucer wrote: »
    Record numbers. Completely sold out. Full road closures. Tens of thousands of spectators lining the route. Complete co-operation from Gardai, council, business people. Roads re-opened within hours after the race. Followed by Dublin city council workers to clean the roads. Hundreds of volunteers. Almost zero complaints the disruption.

But yeah, Dublin doesn't get behind the marathon at all.

Maybe I should have been more specific. I was thinking of the way London transport funnels thousands of runners efficiently towards the start area. For free.

• Advertisement

Van.bosch and ooter thanks for replies last ? How long would de Luas trip take, tks again

I'd say about 25 mins from the red cow to Jervis.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ligerdub

davedanon wrote: »
    Maybe I should have been more specific. I was thinking of the way London transport funnels thousands of runners efficiently towards the start area. For free.

All in all I think Dublin does a pretty stand up job. There is an issue of transportation right enough.

Perhaps you should bring this idea to the organisers and see what they have to say.

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭murphm45

Just a word of warning on the Luas, given the marathon route chances are it won't be running beyond Heuston on the day (the marathon crosses the line around Queen street, I think).

Personally I think your best bet would be to get off at Suir Road and walk to Dolphins Barn (it's about 10 minutes down the canal) but Rialto might be an option too.

murphm45 wrote: »
    Just a word of warning on the Luas, given the marathon route chances are it won't be running beyond Heuston on the day (the marathon crosses the line around Queen street, I think).

Yeah forgot about that, you'd have to get off at Heuston alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Bahanaman

Firedance wrote:
    They've confirmed early darts from both grey stones & malahide

We did it! :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

The LUAS is stopped while the marathon is passing, but their paths intersect around the 2 mile mark. It will keep running up to 9 o'clock or thereabouts, and be back running by about 10.15

I was running down tower road earlier and there was a lad in a Dublin marathon van and he was putting notices on lampposts indicating that it was part of the marathon route on bank holiday Sunday.
    Won't be long now. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Slow_Runner

Asked about extra service on the Maynooth line:
    [font=Arial, sans-serif]no extra services scheduled. We have operating extra in previous years and loadings have been very low.[/font]
    [font=Arial, sans-serif]:([/font]

• Registered Users Posts: 760 ✭✭✭PGL

This will be my first marathon, and would appreciate some advice on how to pace it.
    Based on my recent Dublin half marathon time (1hour 36mins 56secs) the McMillan Calculator is predicting a 3hour 24min finish time for the marathon. My other finish times in the race series are also aligning very close to this McMillan prediction.
    On this basis I signed myself into Wave 1 and planned to follow the 3:30 pacer up to the 20 mile point and see how I felt at that point whether to push harder in the closing 6 miles. All of my training has been based around a marathon pace of 4:59 per km to achieve a 3hour 30min finish time, and I have been managing to achieve this average pace on all of my weekend LSRs.
    However a bit of a spanner has been thrown in the works. From speaking to a few experienced runners in the last few weeks, they all generally seem to concur that very few people achieve the McMillan prediction times for the marathon, and instead they think a good rule of thumb is to multiply the half marathon time by 2 and add 20mins. On this basis my finish time would be 3hours 34mins.
    If this is a more accurate prediction, then I can't follow the 3:30 pacer and would need to move myself down to Wave 2 (which I have been told is allowed, but not the other way around) if I want to follow the 3:40 pacer, and then follow the same approach of sticking with the pacer until the 20 mile mark and re-assess from that point.
    The other nuance here is that I have never followed a pacer in a race event. However I'm afraid I'll start off too quick over the first half if I don't follow a pacer.
    Some advice would be appreciated on:
    1. What is a realistic finish time to aim for?
    2. Do I need to follow a pacer for the whole marathon or maybe the first 20 miles?
    3. What are people's views on running the same pace throughout vs. negative splitting?

Many thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭sideswipe

It's your first marathon, don't get too hung up on times- go and enjoy the experience. There will be plenty of chance to chase times in subsequent races if you are so inclined.

• Advertisement

sideswipe wrote: »
    It's your first marathon, don't get too hung up on times- go and enjoy the experience. There will be plenty of chance to chase times in subsequent races if you are so inclined.

hi sideswipe. Yes this is my first marathon, but I have been running consistently for the past 8 years, and don't have a major ambition to do other marathons. Also I have a competitive nature. As a result I want to set myself a target, but want to make sure the target is realistic.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭andrew1977

sideswipe wrote: »

You hit the nail on the head for me ! Its my first attempt at it and I need to repeat your advice in my head for the next 2 weeks..
    Thank you for that post !

• Registered Users Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭Clearlier

PGL wrote: »
    This will be my first marathon, and would appreciate some advice on how to pace it.
    Based on my recent Dublin half marathon time (1hour 36mins 56secs) the McMillan Calculator is predicting a 3hour 24min finish time for the marathon. My other finish times in the race series are also aligning very close to this McMillan prediction.
    On this basis I signed myself into Wave 1 and planned to follow the 3:30 pacer up to the 20 mile point and see how I felt at that point whether to push harder in the closing 6 miles. All of my training has been based around a marathon pace of 4:59 per km to achieve a 3hour 30min finish time, and I have been managing to achieve this average pace on all of my weekend LSRs.
    However a bit of a spanner has been thrown in the works. From speaking to a few experienced runners in the last few weeks, they all generally seem to concur that very few people achieve the McMillan prediction times for the marathon, and instead they think a good rule of thumb is to multiply the half marathon time by 2 and add 20mins. On this basis my finish time would be 3hours 34mins.
    If this is a more accurate prediction, then I can't follow the 3:30 pacer and would need to move myself down to Wave 2 (which I have been told is allowed, but not the other way around) if I want to follow the 3:40 pacer, and then follow the same approach of sticking with the pacer until the 20 mile mark and re-assess from that point.
    The other nuance here is that I have never followed a pacer in a race event. However I'm afraid I'll start off too quick over the first half if I don't follow a pacer.
    2. Do I need to follow a pacer for the whole marathon or maybe the first 20 miles?
    3. What are people's views on running the same pace throughout vs. negative splitting?

Many thanks!

Your friends are correct that most people don't match the McMillan conversion but it's not true for everyone. If you've only started training this year for example and your half PB was from a few months ago then you could easily make the improvement. If the half PB was on a tough day on a tough course you could make the McMillan time. There are a number of other scenarios too. That said it's absolutely true that most people don't make the McMillan conversions.

If it were me I'd start right at the back of wave 1 keeping the pacers in front of me. Don't try and run with them but run your own race according to how your feeling and (assuming they have them again this year) use the balloons attached to the pacers as a guide to how you're getting on. Let them pull away and/or come closer as you run your own race and if they're still within sight at 22 miles you can start thinking about reeling them in.

Edit: I see that you've been running for 8 years - unless your training has taken a marked step up this year then front of wave 2 might be a more enjoyable experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭averagejoe123

Many thanks!

I ran 3.27 in my 1st marathon in Tralee off a 1.37 half marathon 3 months earlier.

All the race calculators give you times on the assumption that you have done enough specific training for that distance. What has your mileage been like over the course of your plan?

I would definitely keep it conservative in the 1st half of the Dublin marathon. There are a few hills that you may not notice early on that could ruin your race if run too aggressively.

I think you should be fine following the 3.30 pacers. As you don't have a desire to do a lot of marathons I say go for it.

Have you done 1 or more 20 milers at that average pace?
    If so I think you will be fine with the 3:30 pacers considering you have 8 years of running experience behind you.

All of my training has been based around a marathon pace of 4:59 per km to achieve a 3hour 30min finish time, and I have been managing to achieve this average pace on all of my weekend LSRs.

You have been running your LSRs at marathon pace every week? For the next couple of weeks you need to focus on recovery because you have been working too hard.

You should be okay to run with the 3.30 pacers

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭Derco

@PGL for what it's worth here's my two cents...

First of all I still consider myself something of a novice - this will be only my 3rd marathon but here's what I have learned. The half marathon x2 + 20 mins formula hasn't applied to me. In 2014 and 2015 I ran 6 half marathons all in times between 1:48 and 1:51 so according to that formula I would have been nailed on for a 4 hr marathon. However my marathon times have been all over the shop - 4:35 in '14 and 4:22 last year. Both times I set out with the 4 hr pacers but I found myself dropping back at Walkinstown roundabout (15 miles) and then later muscle cramp made the last section a complete write off. These are issues that you generally don't get in shorter races. This year I have resigned myself to going for a more realistic target and I don't intend following a pacer.

With the Dublin course you need to be careful in the early part. Miles 2 to 7 are uphill but the climb is so gradual that you don't really notice it but if you go too hard through it you might regret it later. There are two long drags in particular - going through the Park (miles 4-6) and then the Crumlin/Drimnagh/Walkinstown Road after the halfway point which are uphill and can be wind tunnels and if the breeze is in your face that could be a problem. The steepest climb is St. Laurence's Road between Chapelizod and Ballyfermot.

Different people have different ways of approaching marathons and you will only know yours when you actually run one or two. But anyway, if you want my advice I would keep it steady until Walkinstown roundabout. If you're feeling strong at that stage there's a nice flat section where you can push on and you have 11 miles to make up any time. Clonskeagh/Roebuck Road is a little bit up and down but I've been doing the zombie shuffle going through there in my marathons. When you turn on to Foster's Ave it's downhill and flat all the way home.

Most importantly - This will the ONLY time you will ever run your first marathon so just make sure you enjoy it. From my limited experience you enjoy a race more when you finish strong. Best of luck and let us know how you get on!!!

Clearlier wrote: »
    If the half PB was on a tough day on a tough course you could make the McMillan time.

The conditions were tough (rain at the start and windy throughout) and I'd imagine the course (Dublin half marathon in the Phoenix Park) can be considered tough aswell.
    ooter wrote: »
    Have you done 1 or more 20 milers at that average pace?

Yes, have done two (20mile & 22mile) in the last 2 weekends at that average pace
    What has your mileage been like over the course of your plan?

I have been rigidly following David Carrie's plan for Runners since the start of May, so I'd imagine the mileage is as high as it should be - I'd say I have ran about 35km on average each week excluding the weekend LSR
    RayCun wrote: »
    You have been running your LSRs at marathon pace every week? For the next couple of weeks you need to focus on recovery because you have been working too hard.

For each of my LSRs I didn't set out to run at marathon pace, and purposely ran slower for maybe the first 10 to 15km. But generally each time my natural comfortable pace picks up and I end up running the marathon pace on average over the whole run.

For each of my LSRs I didn't set out to run at marathon pace, and purposely ran slower for maybe the first 10 to 15km. But generally each time my natural comfortable pace picks up and I end up running the marathon pace on average over the whole run.

well it's better than starting fast and slowing down, but if that's your natural comfortable pace why can't you run faster in a half marathon? :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭sideswipe

hi sideswipe. Yes this is my first marathon, but I have been running consistently for the past 8 years, and don't have a major ambition to do other marathons. Also I have a competitive nature. As a result I want to set myself a target, but want to make sure the target is realistic.

Fair enough, can also understand wanting to maximise your return on your training. Having said that and seeing your training paces I think erring on the side of caution and being conservative with the first 20 miles might be wise.
    The only reason I say don't worry about time and enjoy it is because I did the opposite:rolleyes:

Advertisement