Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin City Marathon 2016 *NO NUMBER SWAPS/SALES/TRANSFERS*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,454 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

snailsong wrote: »
    1:31half to 3:20 marathon isn't over ambitious in my opinion. I'd agree with being cautious early on. How about start behind the 3:20 group, let them off up Stoneybatter and hold off on Chesterfield, you should still see the balloons up ahead. Plan for about 49 at 10k, get back a few seconds on the downhills. Keep it about 4:45 to halfway, 1:41 or so?, pick up the pace slightly from 15 miles. 5 to 10 seconds per mile maybe. Hopefully you'll see the balloons coming back to you in the last few miles.

This post almost exactly describes the advice I was given by FBOT yesterday for my own 3:20 attempt. HBS, 1:31 half certainly gives you the right to shoot for 3:20 so my advice would be go for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,186 ✭✭✭ooter

That hill on St Laurence's road when you cross the Liffey at chapelizod is a real tough one, possibly the toughest on the course?
    If that was later in the race it really would be a heartbreak hill.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

ooter wrote: »
    That hill on St Laurence's road when you cross the Liffey at chapelizod is a real tough one, possibly the toughest on the course?

All the toughest climbs in Dublin are in the first half of the race

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭hot buttered scones

That would be the one I tore up last year feeling like a superstar of marathon running. The feeling didn't last very long.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭djemba djemba

Lots of groups running around Milltown, Clonskeagh, UCD area this morning, getting a good reccy of the course.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭a148pro

PGL wrote: »
    Thanks for all the really good feedback guys.

I think I will position myself towards the back of Wave 1, run conservatively (maybe 5 secs over 4:59 per km marathon pace), try to keep the 3:30 pacer in view if possible for the first 20 miles and take it from there.

Do others have a similar plan?

If you've been doing your LSRs comfortably at that pace then with the taper I think you should be fresher on the day and could even do slightly better.

I did my last LSR at that pace and felt I could have finished 3.29 if I had kept going. However, I have been absolutely fcuked over the last 8 days since and am worried I've actually blown it. I didn't train to a specific pace and Yasso suggested I could do 3.05 (bonkers) so was curious and did my last LSR at a hard steady pace as a result, picking up from 15 - 20 miles. I now know that is my best pace scenario.

From my online research - the best marathon times have a constant pace rather than negative splits, bear in mind that you will actually end up running slightly more than marathon distance, as you won't take the optimum route presumably measured by the course directors because of crowds / water breaks / toilet stops (this could add a minute or two). From talking to friends the classic mistake is to go out too fast - you can always finish fast, feel great and know that you could improve next year. But if you're tired in the second half and blow up it will be totally depressing watching everything pass you by.

If I were you I'd aim to get slightly ahead of 3.30 pacers, assuming its comfortable, and stay there (again assuming your comfortable). And, most of all, enjoy yourself, because if you enjoy yourself you'll probably finish your best time.

I say all of this as someone doing their first marathon in two weeks time!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,300 ✭✭✭MonkieSocks

=(:-) Me? I know who I am. I'm a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude (-:)=

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

I missed my last long run yesterday (26k), is there any point trying to fit it in early this week or should I let it go, I have done my 3 20 Milers so I think I would just risk taper time if I squeezed it in today/tomorrow. Also running it would have to be after work some evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Van.Bosch wrote: »
    I missed my last long run yesterday (26k), is there any point trying to fit it in early this week or should I let it go, I have done my 3 20 Milers so I think I would just risk taper time if I squeezed it in today/tomorrow. Also running it would have to be after work some evening.

let it go

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

Thanks, Liverpool v Man Utd it is so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭EauRouge79

I'm thinking of changing my goal. My goal time is in and around 3:25 (although I'd be happy with 3:30). PB is 3:38:39 from last year. The plan was to have a good run in Dublin and then target a fast, flat European or UK marathon in the Spring and just go for it and see what happens. The 2nd part of that plan is most definitely off now for various reasons (time to train being the main one), so now I'm thinking maybe I'll be a bit less conservative in Dublin. The wheels came off big style last year though and I'm just afraid of this happening again. This will be my 3rd marathon, but also the one I think I've trained the hardest for (P+D up to 55 plan). My most recent half was 1:31:52. I did a 10k solo time trial this morning (very very early) in 42:41 - I think I could have done better in a race though (PB is 42:01 from late June). In short - I've trained hard, followed the plan (mostly) and my target time is conservative and well outside what the calculators say (All my other PBS line up pretty well with the calculator). Most of my Marathon pace stuff has been done in the 7:45 to 7:50 range - comfortable enough, but tired by the end. This may well end up being my last marathon for a while. Long runs have been going well for the most part, but the last 2 I found tough enough.
    So just go for it and trust in the training? Or be conservative and have a good race, finishing strong? Anyway I'm thinking a slow start(maybe 3:25 pace), make up some time going downhill at the back of the Park, keep it steady until about mile 15 then pick up the pace (being prepared to loose some time around Clonskeagh/Roebuck road) and if possible empty the tank over the last few miles? I'm thinking somewhere in the region of 3:20? Is this over ambitious?

Your times would suggest that 3:25 is too conservative a target. 3:20 is realistic for sure. I know you would be happy with a huge pb at 3:25 but if your training has gone well, I would go out at 3:20 pace and this should feel easy enough for you. If your feeling good at 20 you can push on a little. Either way, your likely to run a good PB so you have no real pressure to run a specific time, this will help you to relax and run your best.

• Registered Users Posts: 760 ✭✭✭PGL

How does that work PGL, do you live near the Phoenix park or roebuck road and how did you get to the start or home from the finish?
    The last thing I'd want to do after running 18 miles is have to make my way home after it.
    There's no way I could've ran 18 miles today, legs were shot.

the other half dropped me to the Phoenix Park, and picked me up at the other end ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭The Davestator

Little question...

Hoping to nip under 3:45 so planning on starting with the 3:50 pacers until at least Castleknock.

Should I stay with them until halfway, or leave at casteknock?

Staying with them until halfway leaves me a good bit of work to do in the second half. What's the best plan experienced people?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭ger664

Stay with them until the top of the park (10K). Pick up the pace to MP pace for 3:45 make up the extra/loss from mile 20. If you cant then 3:45 was never in the legs to begin with.

PGL wrote: »
    the other half dropped me to the Phoenix Park, and picked me up at the other end ;)

Jaysus that's handy.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,626 ✭✭✭✭28064212

Little question...

Hoping to nip under 3:45 so planning on starting with the 3:50 pacers until at least Castleknock.

Should I stay with them until halfway, or leave at casteknock?

Staying with them until halfway leaves me a good bit of work to do in the second half. What's the best plan experienced people?

Thanks
    I recommend starting a good bit back from the pacers e.g. just in front of the 4:00 pacers. It's quite crowded at that level, which means it can often be up to a minute between the 3:50 pacers crossing the start line and you getting there. Then you can spend the first 5-10k slowly but steadily gaining on the 3:50 guys (stay ahead of the 4:00 pacing group from the start, otherwise you'll get caught up in their crowd). By the time you catch up to them, you'll already be on for 3:48:30 pace, instead of 3:49:30, and the increase in speed needed for 3:45 won't be as drastic. You also will have a much less crowded run by staying between the 3:50 and 4:00 groups, which tend to be pretty big.

It does take a bit of discipline to implement this strategy. You have to catch up on them slowly, not sprint after them to make up 60 seconds in the first mile. Just keep the balloons in your eyeline on the straights, and make sure the gap doesn't increase.

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Pink11

My training this year has been horrific. Stop/start training all year due to illness and injury.

We're 95% sure I have Peroneal Tendinosis again so I'm resting it... and praying!

I slowly introduced the new model of my running shoe into training a few months back (to have them broken in for marathon). Huge mistake, they are not suiting me at all! Have since read online other runners having same problem. Devastated!

Unsure if I can do the marathon now :(

Sorry to hear that pink.
    My whole year has been ruined with injuries, just happy to be taking part to be honest and am just going to enjoy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭hot buttered scones

Thanks for all the reponses to my question. I think I'm going to have a crack off 3:20 and see how it goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭CR 7

If anyone else here is planning on taking the train to the marathon, there's 15% off prebooked Irish rail tickets for the next 3 days. Code is FAFD2816.

I just stole it from the thread here: http://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057658947/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Airtel31

Pink11 wrote: »
    My training this year has been horrific. Stop/start training all year due to illness and injury.

We're 95% sure I have Peroneal Tendinosis again so I'm resting it... and praying!

I slowly introduced the new model of my running shoe into training a few months back (to have them broken in for marathon). Huge mistake, they are not suiting me at all! Have since read online other runners having same problem. Devastated!

Unsure if I can do the marathon now :(

Tell me about it i was going great until i had a minor operation in July which kept me out for 3 weeks was getting back into and back went out for another few weeks only back training these last 3 weeks probably lightest and freshened I've been going into marathon only problem not enough miles just happy to get around and try and enjoy it

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭AAD

I was having the same trouble, stop start training so had to leave my last long run until
    Yesterday, ran into the park and then followed to route round to Nutley lane. Good run but was starting to get muscle cramps around 18 miles in, which wasn't great.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭NameThatTune

Has anyone been able to order the Assics pace bands? There is no DCM option on the drop down box on the page you access via the link on the DCM website.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Has anyone been able to order the Assics pace bands? There is no DCM option on the drop down box on the page you access via the link on the DCM website.

Your question was answered on the thread you started about pace bands.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

It isn't usually an issue for Dublin marathon, but this year the clocks are changing on the morning of the race - at 2am, the clocks go back to 1am.
    https://www.timeanddate.com/time/change/ireland/dublin

It's an extra hour in bed, not something that will make you miss the race, but just so you know...

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭M.J.M.C

Anyone know of any decent pubs open at that hour for 3 or 4 pints before setting off? ? *

*joking

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭Ed Mc Groarty

M.J.M.C wrote:
    Anyone know of any decent pubs open at that hour for 3 or 4 pints before setting off? ? *

Ned scanlons?

Used to start my college day there.

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Arsenium

Hi there, I need to collect a no. for my friend as well as my own at the Expo. I know you can only collect one number for someone other than yourself. CAn anyone tell me what I need from my mate to ensure I can collect? Photo ID and written permission I think but cant seem to find it on the marathon site.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭Run and Jump

Ned scanlons?

Used to start my college day there.

Good stuff - we can all go to Status Quo in the Point the night before, stop off in Ned's on the way, then stroll over to the start line in plenty of time and in fine form.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Healium

Arsenium wrote: »
    Hi there, I need to collect a no. for my friend as well as my own at the Expo. I know you can only collect one number for someone other than yourself. CAn anyone tell me what I need from my mate to ensure I can collect? Photo ID and written permission I think but cant seem to find it on the marathon site.

I emailed them yesterday - need their email confirmation, photocopy of their ID and a letter of consent

Advertisement