Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin City Marathon 2016 *NO NUMBER SWAPS/SALES/TRANSFERS*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Airtel31

I'm going to sign up as well this is my 4th marathon the other 3 being Cork is there much of a difference in the course iro gradient PB 4.21 would love 4.10 or even 4.00 and have signed up for Clonfarf half next week really looking forward to it now

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭boydkev

Signed up this morning, looking to make amends for my Failed Cork attempt.

Now to find some accomadation for the saturday night.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭Derco

I was going well that day until I hit mile 20, when my left hamstring siezed up like a tightened bow (a simple act of stepping up onto the path to pass a group).
    No amount of stretching or massaging could work it out so I just had to grimace and bear it for the last 6. I was so glad to finish but gutted, as I was on track for a 3hr40min time but finished in 4hr08min. The supporters that day were immense, don't think I would have got through the last leg without them.

Paddy1234 wrote: »
    Me too - it was the overpass at UCD that caught me out jumped up on path and hamstring gone from there home

Came across this article while doing my post mortem for last years marathon. Unfortunately I can't post a link because I'm a noob. Anyway the jist of it is that it most likely is muscle cramps caused by bad posture and possibly not pacing myself correctly.

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭coolhandspan

Derco wrote: »
    Came across this article while doing my post mortem for last years marathon. Unfortunately I can't post a link because I'm a noob. Anyway the jist of it is that it most likely is muscle cramps caused by bad posture and possibly not pacing myself correctly.

Yeah mate I see a common angle here, a lot of runners seem to lock up badly around mile 16=18 for no real apparent reason during race.. any experienced runners on here can give us a bit of advice.. I don't think it is hitting wall just locking up.. thanks in advance ...?

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭brickysession

I am in and aiming for 4.30hrs finish seeing as I have not run in 12 months, 16 stone and currently on anti biotics for a chest infection.

I have a couple of questions that perhaps someone might be able to answer please?

1. Is there a bag drop before the race to leave keys / jacket etc?

2. As I probably wont sleep in a hotel room I may as well be awake in my own bed at home so I am thinking about driving up Sunday morning from Waterford (real Early) and getting the Luas in from the Red Cow, anyone done this in the past?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭Run and Jump

I am in and aiming for 4.30hrs finish seeing as I have not run in 12 months, 16 stone and currently on anti biotics for a chest infection.

I have a couple of questions that perhaps someone might be able to answer please?

2. As I probably wont sleep in a hotel room I may as well be awake in my own bed at home so I am thinking about driving up Sunday morning from Waterford (real Early) and getting the Luas in from the Red Cow, anyone done this in the past?

1. There is indeed a bag drop. At the expo when you collect your number everyone gets a strong plastic bag, big enough for a change of clothes and a bit extra, to use for the bag drop. So, travel light and don't be planning on leaving a huge rucksack or suitcase at the bag drop.

2. Haven't done this myself as I live in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

Driving up the morning of the marathon wouldn't be the best idea. How are you going to get home? Can you bring a driver with you?Can you not stay with someone more local and not have the additional stress of travel. What time does that leave you having breakfast?

aquinn wrote: »
    Driving up the morning of the marathon wouldn't be the best idea. How are you going to get home? Can you bring a driver with you?Can you not stay with someone more local and not have the additional stress of travel. What time does that leave you having breakfast?

I am just hopping balls at the moment. I was thinking porridge around 5am, in Red Cow for 7am, top up on breakfast, Luas in for 8am, toilet 17 times perhaps, wave start at 9.30am.

I travel a lot for work, always have done so was not really concerned about that bit in the morning, I have a hotel room booked just in case I go down that route but never really sleep in hotels. I suppose at least I would be resting and not driving.

I was planning on driving home, not sure if my wife will be coming with me yet.

Decisions - Decisions

1. There is indeed a bag drop. At the expo when you collect your number everyone gets a strong plastic bag, big enough for a change of clothes and a bit extra, to use for the bag drop. So, travel light and don't be planning on leaving a huge rucksack or suitcase at the bag drop.

Thanks for this info.

I am just hopping balls at the moment. I was thinking porridge around 5am, in Red Cow for 7am, top up on breakfast, Luas in for 8am, toilet 17 times perhaps, wave start at 9.30am.

I travel a lot for work, always have done so was not really concerned about that bit in the morning, I have a hotel room booked just in case I go down that route but never really sleep in hotels. I suppose at least I would be resting and not driving.

Decisions - Decisions

No one will really sleep well the night before. It's now going to be the Friday night that you'll have a super sleep. Awful lot of driving and then other concerns if exhausted, cramp etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Ecoenergy

Decisions - Decisions

Don't forget, you need someone to collect your bag from the expo the day before to get your race number and then meet them the morning of the race. The early start and journey up should be fine but the journey home will be tough. I can usually only manage a shuffle to the nearest pub.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭Run and Jump

Decisions - Decisions

The change to the Sunday means runners can't avail of free on-street parking in Dublin city centre, like they could on the Bank Holiday Monday, so early-morning drivers might need to change their usual marathon plans. Or else pay!

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Pink11

Signed up to this and race series.

My time last year was 4 hours 4 minutes. Would love to crack sub 4 hours but i've been juggling a few injuries & niggles.

Sorry what is the 'memo' plan? Chickey you mentioned it was good for a second marathon?

Feel a bit lost this year, not sure yet which plan is best. I'm up to 15 mile LSRs at the moment but just hovering around that mark.

Pink11 wrote: »

My time last year was 4 hours 4 minutes. Would love to crack sub 4 hours but i've been juggling a few injuries & niggles.

Sorry what is the 'memo' plan? Chickey you mentioned it was good for a second marathon?

Feel a bit lost this year, not sure yet which plan is best. I'm up to 15 mile LSRs at the moment but just hovering around that mark.

Hey you,

How are all the injuries, are you ok?

meno plan needs a good base and unfortunately you currently don't have it. I think you already need to be doing 35 + weeks to start it. Boards plan kicked in last week for the Novices and they are already on 20 mpw. What plan did you follow last year?

Oops re-read and you are already doing 15m LSR. What's weekly mileage then? Will try and find plan to post.

Beyond me to find full plan to correctly post but here is the first week of it: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=85317387&postcount=4603.
    Actually the 10*800 were removed but gives you an idea.

Hey you,

meno plan needs a good base and unfortunately you currently don't have it. I think you already need to be doing 35 + weeks to start it. Boards plan kicked in last week for the Novices and they are already on 20 mpw. What plan did you follow last year?

Oh Dear, 20mpw already......I am at zero and am hoping to start with a LSR of 2 miles today, last day of anti biotics so hopefully will get there. It may not be pretty but I plan to get there.

I know everyone is different but totally agree with aquinn. Driving yourself up from Waterford that morning would be a huge mistake and also very dangerous! You'll be exhausted before you even start. Even if you feel you'd lay awake most of the night in a hotel you'd be at least resting plus less stress as said above. Stress and tiredness of travelling before it even starts would be awful!

Why don't you look into getting an air b n b - it might be more comfortable? I'm sure you'll get a great price if you book now as it's so far in advance.

I know everyone is different but totally agree with aquinn. Driving yourself up from Waterford that morning would be a huge mistake and also very dangerous! You'll be exhausted before you even start. Even if you feel you'd lay awake most of the night in a hotel you'd be at least resting plus less stress as said above. Stress and tiredness of travelling before it even starts would be awful!

Why don't you look into getting an air b n b - it might be more comfortable? I'm sure you'll get a great price if you book now as it's so far in advance.

Thanks for the reply pink11, I have taken heed of the advice and I do have a hotel room booked as it does make sense.

Hey you,

Oops re-read and you are already doing 15m LSR. What's weekly mileage then? Will try and find plan to post.

Beyond me to find full plan to correctly post but here is the first week of it: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=85317387&postcount=4603.
    Actually the 10*800 were removed but gives you an idea.

Aw hello, aquinn! how are you? hope you've collected quite a few race tech tops since we last spoke & happy with the quality :D

Injuries I hope are largely under control. Had a lot of physio - had hip, knee, neck, chest injuries - would be hard pressed to find a part of my body not effected in the last 6 months. We think because I slacked after DCM on the gym/weight work that my body lost some power and didn't have the power to propel myself along. (learn from my horrible mistakes everyone! :( )

Anyway, feeling good now. Have the clontarf half Saturday. hopefully might see a few of ye there!

So since January as said, I've been pretty injured and had to completely stop running for about a month on and off to recover and work on my strength and conditioning.

I'm back doing what I know best... the old routine of one LSR per week (between 10 and 15 miles the past few weeks and 2-3 shorter runs a week. (shorter runs are anything between 5 miles and 8 miles).

Thank you so much for any advice. It was great having such support on here last year in the Novice thread (first timer's - check this out if you haven't already - it's a goldmine of help & support) - but totally lost myself this time for year 2!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

No reason why you couldn't jump into the boards plan on the novices thread again Pink, there's a few in there doing their 2nd marathon so not all novices and you'll have the support and the plan! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭spaceylou

Oh Dear, 20mpw already......I am at zero and am hoping to start with a LSR of 2 miles today, last day of anti biotics so hopefully will get there. It may not be pretty but I plan to get there.

Come join us on the novice's thread (on main A/R Page) lots of advice, support and tips. Starting from zero after antibiotics is not ideal to say the least but 17 weeks to go and if your aim is to simply* get around the course rather than set any records it could be doable.

*Of course there is nothing simple about running 42 km so feel free to disregard my comments altogether

• Advertisement

spaceylou wrote: »
    Come join us on the novice's thread (on main A/R Page) lots of advice, support and tips. Starting from zero after antibiotics is not ideal to say the least but 17 weeks to go and if your aim is to simply* get around the course rather than set any records it could be doable.

*Of course there is nothing simple about running 42 km so feel free to disregard my comments altogether

@ spaceylou; thanks for that, must find the novice thread. Yeah I know 17 weeks is cutting it fine and it wont be a pretty on the day and I wont be qualifying for the 2020 Olympics. I have accepted that fate already :D

I need to set myself a challenge to get my ass in gear and get the weight back in check. Ran 2 slow miles last night and while they were slow, I felt ok afterwards, stretched and feel good today. I will go for 2 miles again tomorrow, try 3 miles on Saturday and then go for running 4 days per week from next week on while building by 10% per week or maybe 15% later on to get the miles in.

I would like to build up to say Monday 6-8 miles, Tuesday 3-4 miles, light cycle Wed, 6-8 miles Thursday, light cycle Friday, LSR (of increasing by 10% to 15% distance weekly) Saturday and rest Sunday. It might just work.

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭Paddy1234

Hi All

What's this Meno plan that ye are all talking about. Would anyone have a link to it? Looking for a marathon training plan.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

Hi All
    What's this Meno plan that ye are all talking about. Would anyone have a link to it? Looking for a marathon training plan.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Iqh0HwS7Tg0CIUOs8LPvyGiPaSKI1LxP0DIV8Vuazm8/edit#gid=906928231

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭spaceylou

@ spaceylou; thanks for that, must find the novice thread. Yeah I know 17 weeks is cutting it fine and it wont be a pretty on the day and I wont be qualifying for the 2020 Olympics. I have accepted that fate already :D

I need to set myself a challenge to get my ass in gear and get the weight back in check. Ran 2 slow miles last night and while they were slow, I felt ok afterwards, stretched and feel good today. I will go for 2 miles again tomorrow, try 3 miles on Saturday and then go for running 4 days per week from next week on while building by 10% per week or maybe 15% later on to get the miles in.

I would like to build up to say Monday 6-8 miles, Tuesday 3-4 miles, light cycle Wed, 6-8 miles Thursday, light cycle Friday, LSR (of increasing by 10% to 15% distance weekly) Saturday and rest Sunday. It might just work.

I didn't realise you were starting from zero zero, thought you had just been off while ill. Do find the novice thread (whatever you decide) but you might find it more enjoyable (and sustainable) to build up over a year and 17 weeks to DCM17.

Really depends what you want...i know someone who walked the vast majority of the route one year as a bucket list type thing but it certainly didn't give her a gra for running or marathons but she did finish - not sure she has run since, except maybe for a bus!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Did my first half down in Achill last weekend. Said afterwards I don't ever imagine being able to run double that amount and signed up for this 5 mins ago.

I instantly regret this decision but feck it. Looks like a nice course.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

RasTa wrote: »
    Did my first half down in Achill last weekend. Said afterwards I don't ever imagine being able to run double that amount and signed up for this 5 mins ago.

I instantly regret this decision but feck it. Looks like a nice course.

The best of luck with it Rasta.
    Shall you be joining us on the DCM 2016 Novice thread?

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭Paddy1234

Hi

I see on the DCM website that it is only guaranteed entry up to 31st July. I don't ever remember seeing that before. Do you think that's because it's on a Sunday and they are expecting more from oversees? I don't really want to sign up that early so I can see how training goes.

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 975 ✭✭✭uvox

Hi

I see on the DCM website that it is only guaranteed entry up to 31st July.

Thanks

A triumph of hope over reality. You'll be fine registering later than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭HibernianRunner

Here's a vid of the route for DCM 2016.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭kittyclaws

Here's a vid of the route for DCM 2016.

Well that isn't half terrifying :O

Advertisement