Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin City Marathon 2016 *NO NUMBER SWAPS/SALES/TRANSFERS*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Murph_D wrote: »
    Thanks for posting that - fascinating alright. Love the drink stations - are some lads drinking milk? :eek: Interesting course too!

Dick Hooper was a fan of cold tea at his feed stations

• Registered Users Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭gucci

I'm slowly approaching defcon 4 levels of taper madness. I'm anxious on rest days to go for a run while simultaneously being nervous about going for a run on running days - in case something happens like I twist an ankle or tweak a muscle. I'm definitely coming down with the plague too and I'm eating way too much food. Or am I eating not enough food. Or not enough good food. I think my pillows are going to give me a crick in the neck. I've also got a pain in everything. Roll on Sunday.

I have to get on a plane to fly over for the marathon on Saturday.....think of all the potential germs I will come in to contact in the airport and being breathing that recycled air on the plane :eek::eek: I'm dooomed!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

1989 Dublin marathon full recording

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TpCNacBTx9Y

Just found this on YouTube, amazing it could be done in 1989 when the country was on it's knees, which you can really see in the helicopter shots in the first few miles by Kevin St./Coombe/Rialto.

Also worth watching for the ads alone.

Watched it a few weeks ago. Great route taking in almost equal amounts of both sides of the city. Nice finish up Grafton Street into St Stephen's Green too. Mad to see the canal filled in at Suir Road as well. You would have to run across the LUAS tracks if you did that route today. Canal looking a lot more hydrated too!

p.s. What ever happened to the Isotonic drink Pocari? They're giving it out at the water stations and plenty of ads for it too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

yaboya1 wrote: »

p.s. What ever happened to the Isotonic drink Pocari? They're giving it out at the water stations and plenty of ads for it too.

Pocari Sweat Jelly?

There was ads all over the Tokyo subway for that, we were highly amused.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭seanin4711

logistics
    best way for a culchie to get from Heuston to RDS on Saturday morning to collect registration.
    was thinking take right turn at kilmainham and over by R111?
    thanks
    John

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭seanin4711

logistics
    best way for a culchie to get from Heuston to RDS on Saturday morning to collect registration.
    thanks
    John

• Registered Users Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭Downtime

seanin4711 wrote: »
    logistics
    thanks
    John

Car or public transport?
    Car - North quays, right over OConnell Bridge, Townsend Street right to Lombard St, left at Merrion sq and it is straight down to the RDS.
    Public - Red Luas to Connolly, DART to Lansdowne and walk up

Now if you weren't a culchie I'd suggest a better route :D

• Registered Users Posts: 760 ✭✭✭PGL

RayCun wrote: »
    They should stay outside the route, get off the M50 at Templogue, drive down to the corner of Fortfield and Wainsford roads. When you pass, go around the outside again to the N11 and drive in that way.

The roads are not completely closed but there are rolling closures. Crossing the route is impossible in most places, very difficult in one or two, and no problem in Chapelizod and the Stillorgan road

great advice as ever, thanks RayCun

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭kneejerk

Some Advice Needed

Have a bad head cold and chesty cough. Hopefully it will have cleared up by Sunday

If not I’m thinking about trying Vicks VepoRub or the likes. I remember footballer used to smear it on their shirts a few years ago but the practice has since stopped.

Not a fan of trying out something new on race day but needs must, I’d like to be able to breathe through my nose!
    Anyone any experience of running marathon with a head cold/cough?

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Arsenium

Another culchie here looking for a bit of advice. The LUAS station in Milltown, is it far from the marathon route? The other half and kids are parking in the city and plan to get the Luas out to Milltown (around mile 20 or so from looking at the map) to provide some badly needed encouragement. The plan then is to take the Luas back into town and head for the finish line.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭Run and Jump

Arsenium wrote: »
    Another culchie here looking for a bit of advice. The LUAS station in Milltown, is it far from the marathon route? The other half and kids are parking in the city and plan to get the Luas out to Milltown (around mile 20 or so from looking at the map) to provide some badly needed encouragement. The plan then is to take the Luas back into town and head for the finish line.

The Milltown LUAS stop is right beside the marathon route - almost the 20-mile marker.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭Downtime

The Milltown LUAS stop is right beside the marathon route - almost the 20-mile marker.

Yep, get off the Luas and cross the tracks if coming from town. Take a left turn and go down the hill, and the pain and suffering will unveil itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭Clearlier

kneejerk wrote: »
    Some Advice Needed

Have a bad head cold and chesty cough. Hopefully it will have cleared up by Sunday

If not I m thinking about trying Vicks VepoRub or the likes. I remember footballer used to smear it on their shirts a few years ago but the practice has since stopped.

Not a fan of trying out something new on race day but needs must, I d like to be able to breathe through my nose!

Don't run it or if you feel you must go and see your GP first.

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭glacial_pace71

Downtime wrote: »
    Yep, get off the Luas and cross the tracks if coming from town. Take a left turn and go down the hill, and the pain and suffering will unveil itself.

Alas you'll smell and hear the agonised mob long before you'll see them. Close your eyes and it'll sound like Wimbledon panting meets torches 'n pitchforks mob meets old steam train crossing the Nine Arches. They'll beg for jelly beans like a medieval leper would seek alms. Be kind and offer sweets from the multi pack that the kids won't touch for Halloween.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Some Advice Needed

If not I’m thinking about trying Vicks VepoRub or the likes. I remember footballer used to smear it on their shirts a few years ago but the practice has since stopped.

Not a fan of trying out something new on race day but needs must, I’d like to be able to breathe through my nose!

Don't run it, I did it when I was running new York, would of skipped it, if it was dublin. I walked from mile 17 constantly coughing. Picked a hamstring injury just after coming home, out for 6 months, I blame it on running when not right.

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭dekbhoy

Some Advice Needed

Personally i would still run it. i find with a cold its subsides when excersising but comes back later. Your immune system will be low after a marathon so your recovery from cold will take a bit longer..

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭Run and Jump

Some Advice Needed

+1 on not running it, because you say you also have a chesty cough - a sure sign that right now your immune system isn't up for the rigours of an endurance event. Even if you DID manage to do a marathon with a chesty cough, which I doubt, you'll weaken yourself so much that it'll develop into a chest infection. Go see a doctor.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Airtel31

Some Advice Needed

I'm not a doctor but I'm sure someone from the medical profession once told me the reason sports star don't play there game when they have an illness like yours apparently it can weaken the heart not to scare you so I would seek medical advice first of all, also have tried sweating it out of you hot drinks going to bed with layers on an old remedy I know but has worked for me in the past

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

Sunday's weather forecast has been very consistent and undramatic for the last few days - both the infallible [URL="[url]https://www.yr.no/place/Ireland/Leinster/Dublin/long.html[/url]"]yr.no[/URL] and boards.ie's resident amateur meteorologist agree that it's going to be dry, not at all windy and if anything a little warm! Google reckons humidity will be 86%, which is a little on the high side - sounds like summer running gear weather to me.

400178.png

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭ger664

seanin4711 wrote: »
    logistics
    thanks
    John

Get the 145 from outside Heuston, get off at Donnybrook. 5 minute walk to the RDS

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭sideswipe

The weather forecast seems to have a look of DCM 2014!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Bahanaman

sideswipe wrote:
    The weather forecast seems to have a look of DCM 2014!

Don't be saying that! Hopefully not as warm!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭snailsong

1989 Dublin marathon full recording

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TpCNacBTx9Y

Just found this on YouTube, amazing it could be done in 1989 when the country was on it's knees, which you can really see in the helicopter shots in the first few miles by Kevin St./Coombe/Rialto.

Also worth watching for the ads alone.

Firstly, curses on you for stealing an hour of my Time:D.

Secondly, thanks for posting. I found that fascinating. I was a student in Dublin back then, I think I remember a load of runners on Grafton St. Oh, the haircuts, the moustaches, stone washed jeans, Ford Cortinas, urban decay. Serious runners too. Pauline Nolan had a fantastic running style and that haircut really suited her. Where is she now? No Garmin, shag all crowd control. Nothing like the number of supporters you see now. People able to wander across the course 100 metres from the finish. Course looked good too, pity they couldn't go back to it.

Back then, I took zero interest. It was another 20 years before I ran a step. I'll be one of the 3:30 pacers on Sunday. So looking forward to it, enjoy everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭echancrure

Bahanaman wrote: »
    Don't be saying that! Hopefully not as warm!

And the sun might out too, wunderground predicts only 34% cloud cover at 9am.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Johnners1878

Healium wrote: »
    Bib No.| Username | PB | Predicted Time | Actual Time
    |echancrure|2:59:17|2:49:59|
    |diego_b|4:12:54|3:59:59|
    |schqually|4:09:50|3:49:59|
    |Singer|3:32:04|3:09:59|
    |Derco|4:22:53|4:12:59|
    |hot buttered scones|3:38:39|3:21:59|
    |Run and Jump|3:26:14|3:19:59|
    |glacial_pace71|4:16:37|3:53:53|
    |ooter|3:14:xx|3:59:59|
    |CR 7|3:08:45|2:58:27|
    |Paddybarry|2:55:28|2:58:XX|
    |Myles Splitz|2:59:25|2:39:59|
    |dna_leri|n/a|2:59:00|
    |chrislad|4:46:09|4:19:59|
    |Sandwell|n/a|2:57:30|
    |Murph_D|3:29:16|3:19:59|
    |Averagejoe123|3:18:20|3:09:59|
    |Healy1835|3:39:52|3:19:59|
    |boydkev|n/a|3:39:59|
    |Wubble Wubble|4:18:52|3:49:59|
    |Spaceylou|n/a|4:29:59|
    |Budhistmonk|5:07:45|4:29:59|
    |Fieldsman|4:48:XX|4:29:59|
    |younganne|3:55:25|3:50:00|
    |pink11|4:04:00|5:00:00|
    |donnacha|3:57:11|3:29:59|
    |wookiesleep|3:33:00|3:29:30|
    |jake1970|3:18:30|3:09:59|
    |Classic21|N/A|3:29:59|
    |overthebridge|3:50:43|3:29:59|
    |Djemba Djemba|N/A|2:59:59|
    |psalm69|3:33:14|3:15:59|
    |gucci|3:16:XX|3:09:59|
    |BeepBeep67|2:55:51|3:19:29|pacing
    |Healium|3:50:10|6:59:59|
    |Johnners1878|3:29:04|3:40:00|

Lost lots of training time earlier this year, have struggled back into reasonable fitness but going in to this half a stone heavier than last year, now 50, and after getting sub 3:30 last year am pretty relaxed about time this year. However, if I'm going well no doubt the competitive spirit will kick in! Good luck to everyone. Weather forecast sounds a bit like 2014 when it was unseasonably warm and humid and people were dropping like flies over the final 5 miles. Hopefully it stays reasonably cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭budhistmonk

snailsong wrote: »
    Pauline Nolan had a fantastic running style and that haircut really suited her. Where is she now?
    My wife is a business trainer and Pauline was on one of her courses recently. They had the usual ice breaking "greatest achievement / proudest moment" questions. One girl said her's was recently completing a marathon. Pauline's then was winning the Dublin City marathon. I felt sorry for the first girl when I heard that :). My wife thought Pauline was absolutely lovely.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Bahanaman

I've been spending the week teaching in a room with thirty two 6 year olds and at least 4 of them have literally been trying to wipe snot into my clothes! Walking petri dishes they are!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭aero2k

The very best of luck to all running - even if the weather is not perfect, at least you'll have a lovely new stretch of smooth tarmac on South Circular Rd.

I'm (slightly) jealous - I do plan to get out to support at 2 or 3 spots.

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭echancrure

I've been spending the week teaching in a room with thirty two 6 year olds and at least 4 of them have literally been trying to wipe snot into my clothes! Walking petri dishes they are!

Still: you must have a target!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭gucci

This will be me in work tomorrow....i am convinced that more and more people are infected!!! I considered changing a meeting location to a more airy meeting room earlier, but ended up skipping it!!

mr_1320868377.jpg

Advertisement