Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin City Marathon 2016 *NO NUMBER SWAPS/SALES/TRANSFERS*

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 250 ✭✭joesoap5

ultrapercy wrote: »
    Anyone know the criteria and procedure for applying for an elite number?

I'd suggest you send a mail on the Dublin Marathon website or Facebook.
    How many members on this site are applying for it I wonder.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭Myles Splitz

ultrapercy wrote: »
    Anyone know the criteria and procedure for applying for an elite number?

Pretty sure you HM time from this year will qualify you, best bet would be to get onto HW here or the Marathon office;

01-6232250 or office@dublinmarathon.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭frankie2shoes

I'm following the asics online training plan. 3 runs per week. 2 x 9km and 1 x 18km last week. Seems like I'm not putting in the miles others are....hoping this plan doesn't let me down.......

I'm following the asics online training plan. 3 runs per week. 2 x 9km and 1 x 18km last week. Seems like I'm not putting in the miles others are....hoping this plan doesn't let me down.......

A lot would depend on if you were looking for a time. It sounds like a Get you around the course plan but that's about it. Unless you're extremely talented.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Bahanaman

Heard that the race might be full by next week. 14000 already registered. Cap of roughly 16000

• Advertisement

Bahanaman wrote: »
    Heard that the race might be full by next week. 14000 already registered. Cap of roughly 16000

There were 11000 registered on the 31st of July.
    They said they will be letting people know via the usual channels FB when its coming near to full capacity.
    They never gave a capping figure even though people asked for it.

joesoap5 wrote: »

A lot would depend on if you were looking for a time. It sounds like a Get you around the course plan but that's about it. Unless you're extremely talented.

I'm hoping for a 3hr 45 min finish time. running 18km in 1hr33. That's a little under my hoped-for race pace. Felt comfortable and could have gone further if I'd needed to..........

I'm hoping for a 3hr 45 min finish time. running 18km in 1hr33. That's a little under my hoped-for race pace. Felt comfortable and could have gone further if I'd needed to..........

Yeah just looked at your profile there, you have a good base behind you and have the times to back you up.

No reason why you shouldn't get it.

Does that plan incorporate weights, crosstraining etc?

Some people are more suited to minimum mileage.

Thanks Joe. your feedback is much appreciated
    I am doing just a little upper body weights and crunches. Just finished a 3 month HIIT training programme and was running 10k 3-4 times per week before that. Was getting a bit worried about the amount of runs/distances after reading several posts on here but am trusting Asics training plan ( I've always trusted their running shoes!!). For anyone interested its www.myasics.com

Thanks Joe. your feedback is much appreciated
    I am doing just a little upper body weights and crunches. Just finished a 3 month HIIT training programme and was running 10k 3-4 times per week before that. Was getting a bit worried about the amount of runs/distances after reading several posts on here but am trusting Asics training plan ( I've always trusted their running shoes!!). For anyone interested its www.myasics.com

I wouldn't go by opinion, I'm just basing it on your background and your ability to hit the times for your 10k and 18km run

If you are running the long run comfortably at those times then thats a good sign. But if you're killing yourself and feeling rundown after it you could get injured.

As the Novice thread will tell you, you're supposed to run your long run 60 to 90 s/p/m slower than marathon pace.

There's a lot more experienced people here than me who love imparting their knowledge.

I'm actually worried about my own training which is 4 days a week but splits the 3 mid week runs which is not supposed to be great for building endurance. I'm depending on the long run for that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Bahanaman

joesoap5 wrote:
    There were 11000 registered on the 31st of July. They said they will be letting people know via the usual channels FB when its coming near to full capacity. They never gave a capping figure even though people asked for it.

I got that info from the marathon office today. The 16000 limit I was given was fairly non committal. The lady told me they'd be speaking with the relevant parties eg the guards, city council etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭Derco

Anyone got any advice about how to get back training after a cold. Haven't trained since the weekend. Should I take it easy for another week or should I go straight back to regular mileage?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭tony1980

Derco wrote: »
    Anyone got any advice about how to get back training after a cold. Haven't trained since the weekend. Should I take it easy for another week or should I go straight back to regular mileage?

Hey Derco,

I was out of action last week with a bad flu, still wasn't feeling right on Sunday but I decided to head out Sunday night and got my 12 mile lsr done.
    I was feeling really crappy yesterday after it but the body was much better today. I am still far from 100% so I decided to run my 3 miler tonight at lsr pace and I think I will do that with the rest of my runs this week.
    My heart rate was on the high side for such a slow run tonight so I am definitely not right yet but I think I will able to do the mileage this week as long as they are all slow runs so it might be worth trying that.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭Derco

tony1980 wrote: »
    Hey Derco,

I was out of action last week with a bad flu, still wasn't feeling right on Sunday but I decided to head out Sunday night and got my 12 mile lsr done.
    I was feeling really crappy yesterday after it but the body was much better today. I am still far from 100% so I decided to run my 3 miler tonight at lsr pace and I think I will do that with the rest of my runs this week.
    My heart rate was on the high side for such a slow run tonight so I am definitely not right yet but I think I will able to do the mileage this week as long as they are all slow runs so it might be worth trying that.

Thanks Tony. I'll see how I'm feeling tomorrow but definitely hope to be back on the road Thursday night. Only missed one long run so it shouldn't have set me back too much

I've noticed that a lot of people seem to be doing way more miles than me in their prep for the marathon. This will be my first and am hoping for something in a 3hr 45 kinda time. Below is my training plan from ASICS. Will this do the job for me? All advice welcome.....

[*]
      Dashboard

[*]
      Running

[*]
      My Plan

[*]
      Performance

logo-small-b8ea40a9d327d519d911028512fb43fdbecd11100b00f924a0d771f58de6a2ae.pngTraining plan for 3:43:10 Marathon on 31 October, 2016
      12/58 runs 113 km / 635

Show all runs
      [color][size][font]Print my plan
      [url=webcal://my.asics.com/app_en/plan/ics?token=%242a%2410%24QxLmqHeL2Dr4YOgzqT56H.BH8FCwYZXAjYTHEwq3rfYjLIMmyiium&user_id=1289437]Calendar sync (ics)[/url]
      Plan Options[/font][/size][/color]

[th]Monday[/th]
      [th]Tuesday[/th]
      [th]Wednesday[/th]
      [th]Thursday[/th]
      [th]Friday[/th]
      [th]Saturday[/th]
      [th]Sunday[/th]

Getting faster

This phase uses a variety of speed focused training sessions to boost your running pace. These start around 10km long and build in length as the weeks go by. They will allow you to build speed for long distances.

Rest

8.9km Run4:59 min/km0:44:22

Rest

Rest

8.2km Run5:00 min/km0:41:00

Rest

31 July 2016
      18.1km Run5:08 min/km1:32:55

1 August 2016
      Rest

Rest

8.9km Fast5:04 min/km0:45:08

Rest

Rest

4.8km Jog6:27 min/km

8.9km Fast5:14 4:57

Rest

8.9km Fast5:14 4:57

Rest

Rest

8.9km Fast5:13 4:56

Rest

17.7km Comfortable5:54 5:20

Rest

Rest

8.9km Comfortable5:53 5:20

Rest

Rest

4.8km Jog6:26 min/km

13.7km Comfortable5:53 5:20

Going further

Rest

Rest

13.7km Fast5:16 5:13

Rest

Rest

8.9km / 13.7km Fast & Comf.5:13 4:56
      5:53 5:20

Rest

Rest

31 August 2016

1 September 2016
      13.7km Fast5:16 5:12

Rest

Rest

13.7km Comfortable5:52 5:19

Rest

Rest

4.8km Jog6:25 min/km

13.7km Fast5:15 5:12

Rest

Rest

8.9km / 18.5km Fast & Comf.5:12 4:55
      5:52 5:19

Rest

Rest

4.8km Jog6:25 min/km

8.9km Comfortable5:52 5:18

Rest

Rest

13.7km Comfortable5:52 5:18

Race simulation

Rest

Rest

4.8km Jog6:24 min/km

13.7km Fast5:15 5:11

Rest

Rest

29.8km Pace5:22 min/km

Rest

Rest

13.7km Fast5:14 5:11

30 September 2016
      Rest

1 October 2016
      Rest

13.7km Comfortable5:51 5:18

Rest

Rest

8.9km Fast5:14 5:11

Rest

Rest

35.4km Pace5:22 min/km

Tapering & Race Day

Rest

Rest

4.8km Jog6:23 min/km

8.9km Race-pace5:17 min/km

Rest

Rest

17.7km Race-pace5:17 min/km

Rest

Rest

Rest

Rest

13.7km Race-pace5:17 min/km

Rest

Rest

Rest

Rest

31 October 2016
      Marathon5:14 min/km

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭kit3

Looks like this is filling up quickly - was at about 11,000 last week & 15,000 today

Source - Dublin marathon FB page - can't manage the link on the tablet :(

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭Bugsy2000

kit3 wrote: »
      Looks like this is filling up quickly - was at about 11,000 last week & 15,000 today

Source - Dublin marathon FB page - can't manage the link on the tablet :(

Apparently the response to the race being moved to Sunday has been phenomenal. They had over 2,000 entries last weekend alone before the price change & expect it could sell out very soon. Wouldn't commit to a capped figure but I'm guessing the 16,000 sounds right.

If you want to enter do it now.

Bugsy2000 wrote: »
      Apparently the response to the race being moved to Sunday has been phenomenal. They had over 2,000 entries last weekend alone before the price change & expect it could sell out very soon. Wouldn't commit to a capped figure but I'm guessing the 16,000 sounds right.

If you want to enter do it now.

They say themselves that theres about 3 to 4 weeks left to enter before they close so doubt its 16000 cap.

They say themselves that theres about 3 to 4 weeks left to enter before they close so doubt its 16000 cap.

Where did you see 3/4 weeks - anything I saw was fairly non commital

Where did you see 3/4 weeks - anything I saw was fairly non commital

if you follow the link you posted and view the comments, the management have responded to 'worried' posters telling them they have 3 to 4 weeks left to commit.

• Advertisement

if you follow the link you posted and view the comments, the management have responded to 'worried' posters telling them they have 3 to 4 weeks left to commit.

Thanks - must have responded since I looked at it. I registered last week anyway.

Thanks - must have responded since I looked at it. I registered last week anyway.

I'm waiting for another few long runs to see how my legs hold up before commiting. I had mild shin splints last week and a tight calf in same leg.

I'm waiting for another few long runs to see how my legs hold up before commiting. I had mild shin splints last week and a tight calf in same leg.

Fair enough - best of luck with it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

As per email received from my club they expect to close entries on 31st of August.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭Hard Worker

tang1 wrote: »
      As per email received from my club they expect to close entries on 31st of August.

Unless the limit is reach beforehand.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Unless the limit is reach beforehand.

And what is the limit and what are we currently at?

They have certainly generated a lot of hype this year that's for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,253 ✭✭✭donnacha

The organisers appear to have added a fourth wave for the start. I'm assuming due to the numbers signing up this year that it's a sensible approach to break the runners into 4 groups but I can see confusion at number collection when people with emails stating a particular wave are giving a higher wave number.

We only discovered this as my wife forwarded her reg slip to a friend she is running with - both registrations happened in the last couple of days but one slip lists the original wave 2 slots and the other lists the new ones!

Original waves:
      1st wave: sub 3:50
      2nd wave: 3:50 to 4:15
      3rd wave: 4:15+

New waves (From the updated FAQs/website):

1st wave Sub 3:35
      2nd wave 3:35 to 4:05
      3rd wave 4:05 to 4:35
      4th wave 4:35+

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭coolhandspan

Hi folks, just a quick warning.. Just spoke to a friend in thr know and it is possible dcm 16 will sell out in next 4 to 5 days... Registration rstes are accelerating every day... Just a friendly bit of advice, i know most people do not like to sign up until after frank duffy . Take it or leave it...

• Advertisement
    • Registered Users Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭Clearlier

You'd swear that nobody from the organising committee of DCM was posting on this thread sometimes.

I entered last night after reading the thread. Woke up with an injury this morning :rolleyes:

Advertisement