Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin City Marathon 2016 *NO NUMBER SWAPS/SALES/TRANSFERS*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭chinguetti

I'm gutted, I've been training for this months and clean forgot to enter my goal race:D:D

Can't see how anyone can say they weren't warned that it would close very quickly with the last 10 days but sure, that's what Facebook is for.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭Hard Worker

It's been mad all day in the Dublin Marathon office. Phones hopping non stop. "But I've collected €5000 for charity ....." etc. But the best one of all was "this is a national emergency. You have to release more entries".
    I can understand peoples disappointment as this is the first time this has ever happened, although there was plenty of notice given that entries were way up on last year and that it would close when the limit was reached.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,517 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

It's been mad all day in the Dublin Marathon office. Phones hopping non stop. "But I've collected €5000 for charity ....." etc. But the best one of all was "this is a national emergency. You have to release more entries".
    I can understand peoples disappointment as this is the first time this has ever happened, although there was plenty of notice given that entries were way up on last year and that it would close when the limit was reached.
    Maybe you should do a Garth Brooks and have a second gig on Monday?

/kidding....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 250 ✭✭joesoap5

chinguetti wrote: »
    I'm gutted, I've been training for this months and clean forgot to enter my goal race:D:D

Can't see how anyone can say they weren't warned that it would close very quickly with the last 10 days but sure, that's what Facebook is for.

I can, they said a few days ago on FB that it would close within 3 to 4 weeks. Not everyone logs on every day for updates.

tomwaits48 wrote: »
    facebook page is already littered with people moaning about this despite the fact entries have been available for months.

A lot of people don't want to risk entering early due to injury risks or life getting in the way. 80 quid is a lot of money to be shelling out if you don't use it.

I'm sure people thought the numbers were hyped up as well to sell the race as this hasn't happened before.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Chartsengrafs

joesoap5 wrote: »
    I'm sure people thought the numbers were hyped up as well to sell the race as this hasn't happened before.

Or else people knew that the organisers don't have a reputation for messing people about, took the advice in good faith and signed up.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,517 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

I can, they said a few days ago on FB that it would close within 3 to 4 weeks. Not everyone logs on every day for updates.
    It really doesn't matter how they communicate it, or when they communicate it. They still have the same maximum number of entries. So if Bob read the message some weeks ago and didn't act on it, Bob didn't get in. If Billy saw the note and did act on it, Billy got his spot. Did bob deserve a spot more than Billy? Nope.

It's like buying concert tickets. If you wait around because you're not sure if you'll be able to get a babysitter that day and someone else buys the last ticket, you just suck it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,186 ✭✭✭ooter

A lot of people will pick up injuries between now and October, the race is still almost 11 weeks away. Is there an option to defer if you cannot take part because of injury?

ooter wrote: »
    A lot of people will pick up injuries between now and October, the race is still almost 11 weeks away. Is there an option to defer if you cannot take part because of injury?

No there isn't, was just actually reading that on FB.
    Some guy was giving out that he broke his foot last year and couldn't get a deferral and has missed sign-up this year too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭djemba djemba

Why would they contact the marathon office surely the number they are looking for is 1850 715 815. Joe on that number is very helpful

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭wpd

Have done DCM for the last 3 years and always waited to enter after half in Phoenix park to ensure on plan and no injury assumed this year would be the same, silly me

No doubt the increase is due to the Sunday which makes me wonder how many extra entries there are from the UK???

It really doesn't matter how they communicate it, or when they communicate it. They still have the same maximum number of entries. So if Bob read the message some weeks ago and didn't act on it, Bob didn't get in. If Billy saw the note and did act on it, Billy got his spot. Did bob deserve a spot more than Billy? Nope.

It's like buying concert tickets. If you wait around because you're not sure if you'll be able to get a babysitter that day and someone else buys the last ticket, you just suck it up.

Yeah, i totally agree with you. I bought my own place even though I've a dodgy leg based on the fact that I've been following this thread and FB regularly.

I'm just saying I can understand why some would've missed the deadline.
    If you read back the thread here you'll see that I told Kitty that FB said they had 4 weeks left to register. They said that about 2 or 3 days ago. Now some people probably havn't logged on since.

Then you have people who dont follow social media and only heard through friends that it sold out and are now complaining.

Either way its great to see it sell out and somebody in SSE Dublin marathon office should get a raise for getting a decent marketing strategy together.

I do believe London Marathon organisers came over to Ireland to see how we ran the event as we started the marathon before them.

Yet they made a real success of it and we didn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭dublin runner

wpd wrote:
    No doubt the increase is due to the Sunday which makes me wonder how many extra entries there are from the UK???

I would hazard a guess the the majority of the increase is made up of foreign entries. Really good to see.

Starting to look forward to it now.

Or else people knew that the organisers don't have a reputation for messing people about, took the advice in good faith and signed up.

not everyone know Dublin Marathon organisers etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭dublin runner

Just looked over social media and I have to say it's a real shame to see such negativity regarding a good news story.

Everyone had AMPLE opportunity to enter the race. There really is no excuse. There are other races to enter.

Time to look forward to what will be a crackin' day of racing!

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭gigantic09

Just after seeing this now.Seems a bit unfair that club athletes who haven't already entered aren't able to compete in this years national marathon championship as a result.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Bahanaman

Really disappointed not to be able to make it this year. I just wasn't in a position to commit so early and was hoping the deadline wouldn't come so soon. It's just one of those things and as has been said earlier here, I'll just have to "suck it up". All the best to the lucky ones who made it in.

As an aside, are there any suggestions re an alternative for someone who might just do the training anyway?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

I do feel sorry for those who don't follow social media who won't even know about this yet. Plenty of folks in country areas etc and older people who would rarely even be on the net and might usually wait until much later to enter. But it can't be helped of course if it's at capacity.
    I will also feel really bad if I end up not being able to do it and my entry goes to waste :( knowing someone else would love to take it.
    I would say that there will be a lot of selling on of numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,659 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

To be fair to the organizers I don't think they could have handled things any better.

This alongside no qualifying criteria and the entries opening day after last years marathon meant everyone old or young, poor or rich, fat or thin had plenty of time to decide regarding their fitness/budget/goals.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,186 ✭✭✭ooter

I'm injured at the mo so was in no position to commit to enter this far out but if I get back out on the road soon I'll train for it in the hope I can pick a number up from somewhere, no worries if not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

I was going to register tomorrow. I'm gutted. I agree with the majority, that the organizers did all they could. It's no ones fault but my own, and since I got rid of my Facebook app, I'm didn't see any announcements. I'll keep my eye out for any charity entries or if more open up, but I may look towards Frankfurt instead. Either way, I'll keep up the training just in case!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Bahanaman

chrislad wrote:
    I was going to register tomorrow. I'm gutted. I agree with the majority, that the organizers did all they could. It's no ones fault but my own, and since I got rid of my Facebook app, I'm didn't see any announcements. I'll keep my eye out for any charity entries or if more open up, but I may look towards Frankfurt instead. Either way, I'll keep up the training just in case!

I did Frankfurt last year. Great race. Really flat and relatively inexpensive to get to. There's loads of accommodation near the start finish area. Would actually love another go at it but it looks like a marathon is out for me at the moment.

Bahanaman wrote: »
    I did Frankfurt last year. Great race. Really flat and relatively inexpensive to get to. There's loads of accommodation near the start finish area. Would actually love another go at it but it looks like a marathon is out for me at the moment.

Had a quick look and it's about 300 for flights and one night accommodation so it might be worth a look. I'm going to have to decide soon!

To be fair to the organizers I don't think they could have handled things any better.

This alongside no qualifying criteria and the entries opening day after last years marathon meant everyone old or young, poor or rich, fat or thin had plenty of time to decide regarding their fitness/budget/goals.

I think there is room for improvment, they could defer or allow for cancellations. I'd say there will be loads considering we're 12 weeks out and havn't even seen the high mileage yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 703 ✭✭✭happygoose

Always next year for improvements, I guess this couldn't be envisaged.

GFA entries, QT times, separate procedures or starts as with most marathons that demand > places. It needs to stay credible and not go the RnR route.

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭UM1

Shud do an early start......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

There really should be a very obvious message on the DCM webpage to say it's sold out.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Guess this is all only relevant if the marathon is on Sunday next year too.
    Guaranteed good for age and championship entries would be good, but bear in mind that good for age entries to London close 8 months before the race is on, and Dublin is only closing 12 weeks early

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭Jakey Rolling

Looking at Frankfurt as an alternative, and Dublin could do with taking a leaf out of their book - runners are able to transfer their registration online up until 3 weeks before the event. However it may suit them to have a percentage of no shows?

100412.2526@compuserve.com

• Advertisement

I think there is room for improvment, they could defer or allow for cancellations. I'd say there will be loads considering we're 12 weeks out and havn't even seen the high mileage yet.

Agreed. All they are encouraging is people swapping numbers anyway. Probably be close to 10% who drop out due to injury/sickness/etc

Advertisement