Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin City Marathon 2016 *NO NUMBER SWAPS/SALES/TRANSFERS*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭chinguetti

Good to see that the Facebook reaction has been supportive:rolleyes:.

The marathon people just can't win; tell people the situation fairly often for the last 3 weeks before it sells out and still get berated when it sells out that they told no one even though the race is opened since November; try to address some of the complaints from people and get given out to hand over fist for trying to fleece people.

Heaven help them, you'ld wonder why they bother.

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭dintbo

That's a nice way to make sure the half sells out next month!

• Registered Users Posts: 44 15YemenRoad

Lot of entitlement from people on that Facebook page!

Saw a few people giving out that they've already raised hundreds/thousands of euro for charity and now they can't run. Pretty bad form for people to accept charitable donations for an event that they haven't even registered for, then blame the organizers when it sells out.

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭JMSE

Sheesh soon there'll be no room left on the high moral ground with all these comments. I can just see ye bolting out the door every time your man says 'when they're gone they're gone'

• Registered Users Posts: 46 d7guy

I agree with the comments above. I am not on facebook and assumed I had time left to book .I am absolutely gutted planned to run with some family members ..hopefully something can be done to facilitate those of us who wish to run

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

d7guy wrote: »
    I agree with the comments above. I am not on facebook and assumed I had time left to book .I am absolutely gutted planned to run with some family members ..hopefully something can be done to facilitate those of us who wish to run

You had all year to enter. But It was in all the newspapers and on the rte news.

It was on boards and twitter and the website

There be no second chance

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭ISOP

Lot of entitlement from people on that Facebook page!

Saw a few people giving out that they've already raised hundreds/thousands of euro for charity and now they can't run. Pretty bad form for people to accept charitable donations for an event that they haven't even registered for, then blame the organizers when it sells out.
    its the classic Irish mentality, stroll in late or with 2 minutes to go expecting everything to be grand

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭Hard Worker

dintbo wrote: »
    That's a nice way to make sure the half sells out next month!

The Half sells out every year anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Nd7

Anyone aiming for a 4:05 ish finish like to be Fitbit friends ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Extrasupervery

Entered on the 27th of October 2015. Have limited sympathy for those who missed out. Thanks to the organisers who do such a great job, it really is appreciated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Entered on the 27th of October 2015. Have limited sympathy for those who missed out. Thanks to the organisers who do such a great job, it really is appreciated.

But you have the inside track, clearly! You knew it would sell out as you were able to register before it opened!

:D :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Extrasupervery

chrislad wrote: »
    But you have the inside track, clearly! You knew it would sell out as you were able to register before it opened!

:D :pac:

Mobile site won't let me post a screenshot but I just checked my registration email confirmation, I did indeed register on 27/10/15 for 2016, I think you have your dates mixed up.

Mobile site won't let me post a screenshot but I just checked my registration email confirmation, I did indeed register on 27/10/15 for 2016, I think you have your dates mixed up.

Perhaps. I thought it didn't open until early November. Either way, it doesn't matter :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭groovyg

ISOP wrote: »
    its the classic Irish mentality, stroll in late or with 2 minutes to go expecting everything to be grand

From looking at some of the comments on their FB page I can't get over how some people are so disorganised. I saw a comment on their fb page where one poster said they were coming from the UK had booked flights and accommodation and they were beyond angry that entry to marathon had closed early !! Surely if you are doing a marathon abroad, entry to the marathon would have been number 1 priority before booking flights and accommodation. crazy stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

Being discussed on Live Line now.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,483 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

RubyK wrote: »
    Being discussed on Live Line now.

Whats to discuss?
    They gave people around 10 months to enter and people still want to bitch and moan? Are they also going to bitch about how they increase the price at different stages?

:rolleyes:

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,483 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Its available on liveline podcast http://www.rte.ie/cspodcasts/media.mp3?c1=2&c2=16951747&ns_site=test&ns_type=clickin&rte_vs_ct=aud&rte_vs_sc=pod&rte_mt_sec=radio&rte_vs_sn=radio1&rte_mt_pub_dt=2016-08-15&rte_mt_prg_name=test-liveline&title=Dublin%20Marathon.&c7=http%3A%2F%2Fpodcast.rasset.ie%2Fpodcasts%2Faudio%2F2016%2F0815%2F20160815_rteradio1-liveline-dublinmara_c21037073_21037079_232_.mp3&r=http%3A%2F%2Fpodcast.rasset.ie%2Fpodcasts%2Faudio%2F2016%2F0815%2F20160815_rteradio1-liveline-dublinmara_c21037073_21037079_232_.mp3
    Peter Boylan is disappointed that entries have closed for the Dublin Marathon at such and early stage in the year.

Two months out is early?
    I've registered for races that have filled up the day they've opened (within hours or minutes),

Fact he's done 40 marathons before is beyond belief, he should have known better

Ah come on now, lads! I know people are disappointed but that shouldn't lead to the abandonment of reason!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 250 ✭✭joesoap5

Cabaal wrote: »
    Whats to discuss?
    They gave people around 10 months to enter and people still want to bitch and moan? Are they also going to bitch about how they increase the price at different stages?

:rolleyes:

Why, do you support the hiking of prices for no reason? Must have loads of money then. Throw a bit of it my way cheers!

joesoap5 wrote: »
    Why, do you support the hiking of prices for no reason? Must have loads of money then. Throw a bit of it my way cheers!

Supply and demand,
    They give more then enough time to get the lower price.
    Loads of races have higher prices closer to the event or on the event day, even small 10km and 5km's do it.

If you want the best price you just need to be a little organised, not much of an ask.

• Advertisement

Cabaal wrote: »
    Supply and demand,
    They give more then enough time to get the lower price.
    Loads of races have higher prices closer to the event or on the event day, even small 10km and 5km's do it.

If you want the best price you just need to be a little organised, not much of an ask.

More like extortionate prices, enter early and risk losing your fee due to injury or life issues. We'll take that thanks very much.

There's plenty of races that are cheaper around the world with a set fee throughout the race entry period.

They might even sell out sooner if they were to hatch a plan to have a set price of 60 quid.
    Allow the cancellation of the entry before September and expand the amount allowed to enter.

More like extortionate prices,

Nobody is forcing anyone to pay these prices, again there's loads of choices to do other races.
    There's plenty of races that are cheaper around the world with a set fee throughout the race entry period.

Plenty of cheaper races in Ireland so you don't even have to go to another country, you can do a marathon for 20e in Ireland on almost a weekly basis. Big city races are always most costly because they have higher costs,
    Allow the cancellation of the entry before September and expand the amount allowed to enter.

Allowing cancellations creates admin and that is extra work for the organisers.

If people get injured or life gets in the way of their race then thats the chance they take. Very few races allow for cancellation because of the extra work it would create, some allow defers to the next year for medical reasons only (with proof from a doctor).

Its very simple saying expand the amount of entries but health and safety has to be factored in, there very well may be limits due to the route the race takes.

If you don't like the terms and conditions that race organiser has then simply vote with you're feet and go elsewhere. Its all very simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

They might even sell out sooner if they were to hatch a plan to have a set price of 60 quid.

They might sell out sooner? So there'd be even more moaning from people who have no idea what is involved in organising an event like this

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭pudgeydev

Put myself on the waiting list the day it was open, I'm one of those who decided to procrastinate about entering (my own fault, please don't give out!!!). My garmin forerunner broke down on the same day, after 7 fantastic years service to the cause, a bad day for Dev all round.

Hope to get a spot from the waiting list anyways, otherwise might chance Galway Marathon, not ideal training wise. Did 16 miles at the weekend so is doable but not ideal.

Good luck to everyone training, hope to see you there :)

RayCun wrote: »
    They might sell out sooner? So there'd be even more moaning from people who have no idea what is involved in organising an event like this

Well in fairness they've had plenty of practice at this stage and they have chosen their vocation or are 'carrying their cross' by choice, whatever way you want to look at it.

But yeah there is a lot more to capitalise on if you try for one moment of your life to look positively at the prospects of broadening the scope of the event.

RayCun wrote: »

speaking of moaners, what would you and your 'thankers' do without them? You'd have nothing to be self–righteous about without these disorganised buffoons.

What would you discuss over brunch whilst drinking copious amounts of vino??

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

But yeah there is a lot more to capitalise on if you try for one moment of your life to look positively at the prospects of broadening the scope of the event.

I'm sure the Dublin marathon organisers would love to have 20 or 30 thousand people running, even more. But they are working within restrictions put on them by the council and the gardai, they don't have a free hand to choose the routes and times they'd like, and they need to have a safe event for all while working within those restrictions.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

From FB. 3 mins ago:

SSE Airtricity Dublin Marathon
    3 mins ·

** Important Update **

Following consultation with the relevant authorities, we're delighted to announce that we will be increasing our SSE Airtricity Dublin Marathon race capacity from 17,500 to 19,500 in order to cater for the increase in demand this year.

The 2,000 entries will be allocated to participants registered on our Marathon waiting list & we will be contacting everyone on Wednesday 31st August.

For more information on our event, visit our website on: www.sseairtricitydublinmarathon.ie

Excellent. Here's hoping!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Bahanaman

Fair play DCM organisers!

Advertisement