Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin City Marathon 2016 *NO NUMBER SWAPS/SALES/TRANSFERS*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,659 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

Win win for everyone involved.
    Hotel rooms a premium now, have mine booked and would suggest people get on it asap.
    AirBnB going to clean up too.

Sure with 4 wave starts / 19500 runners vs 3 wave starts / 15000 last year it won't need much extra attention from a health and safety point of view.

Reckon we will see over 18500 finishers this year with a lower than normal percentage of drop outs, minds have been focused by the panic for an entry so I'm guessing start line will be packed.

Hotel rooms a premium now, have mine booked and would suggest people get on it asap.
    AirBnB going to clean up too.

Sure with 4 wave starts / 19500 runners vs 3 wave starts / 15000 last year it won't need much extra attention from a health and safety point of view.

Reckon we will see over 18500 finishers this year with a lower than normal percentage of drop outs, minds have been focused by the panic for an entry so I'm guessing start line will be packed.

There will be still less than 17,500 runners on the day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 250 ✭✭joesoap5

RayCun wrote: »
    I'm sure the Dublin marathon organisers would love to have 20 or 30 thousand people running, even more. But they are working within restrictions put on them by the council and the gardai, they don't have a free hand to choose the routes and times they'd like, and they need to have a safe event for all while working within those restrictions.

I'm delighted with the bit of news above for disappointed people but find it aggravating when people who have no actual inside knowledge of the organisation of the race start dictating about how the race is run and will be run.

It just shows there that it's actually you and your crew who dont have a clue what it takes to run the race.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,483 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

No doubt they are and they will clean up,
    Think I'll stick to driving up on the morning of the race :D

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,483 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

joesoap5 wrote: »
    I'm delighted with the bit of news above for disappointed people but find it aggravating when people who have no actual inside knowledge of the organisation of the race start dictating about how the race is run and will be run.

It just shows there that it's actually you and your crew who dont have a clue what it takes to run the race.

There's people on this forum far far more knowledgeable about whats involved in organising this race and others then yourself, don't you worry.

But if making comments like the above makes you feel warm and fuzzy inside, then work away :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

You know people here organises alot of good races. So show a little bit of respect

Cabaal wrote: »
    There's people on this forum far far more knowledgeable about whats involved in organising this race and others then yourself, don't you worry.

But if making comments like the above makes you feel warm and fuzzy inside, then work away :)

You're just trying to provoke another response.
    I never claimed to be a race organiser but I am entitled to my opinion.
    There's no gods on this site. Remember that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Wild Garlic

That's true, a few knobheads however eh.......

I never said you were a race organiser, but the fact remains that there's people with far more experience and knowledge then you and as such can make a much more informed comment then you regarding such a topic.

You're certainly entitled to an opinion, but that doesn't mean people have to agree with it or respect such a opinion.

I'm certainly not trying to provoke any response,
    I'm merely posting on a thread without resorting to name calling. Something it seems you are unable to do previously.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

aquinn wrote: »
    From FB. 3 mins ago:

SSE Airtricity Dublin Marathon
    3 mins ·

** Important Update **

Following consultation with the relevant authorities, we're delighted to announce that we will be increasing our SSE Airtricity Dublin Marathon race capacity from 17,500 to 19,500 in order to cater for the increase in demand this year.

The 2,000 entries will be allocated to participants registered on our Marathon waiting list & we will be contacting everyone on Wednesday 31st August.

For more information on our event, visit our website on: www.sseairtricitydublinmarathon.ie

Super news indeed. I wonder how many people are on the waiting list? Couldn't be much more than 2,000 could it? In which case pretty much everyone who wanted to run will be able to run...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Chartsengrafs

The annual DCM thread is always an entertaining read but it's particularly good craic this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭El Caballo

but find it aggravating when people who have no actual inside knowledge of the organisation of the race start dictating about how the race is run and will be run.

Pot...
    More like extortionate prices, enter early and risk losing your fee due to injury or life issues. We'll take that thanks very much.

There's plenty of races that are cheaper around the world with a set fee throughout the race entry period.

They might even sell out sooner if they were to hatch a plan to have a set price of 60 quid.
    Allow the cancellation of the entry before September and expand the amount allowed to enter.

El Caballo wrote: »
    Pot...

I actually had some really positive suggestions which I posted.

How in gods name have you related those posts to each other....oh yeah POT

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭El Caballo

I actually had some really positive suggestions which I posted.

How in gods name have you related those posts to each other

Fair enough, not saying you didn't have positive suggestions, this is a discussion site after all but just pointing out that just because you are not the organiser of the DCM doesn't mean points are any less valid for discussion like you are doing, Are your points useless because you are not the RD as well and don't have insight into the preparation of a race of this size? Just saying.

It's all petty for the last few pages anyway, The DCM organisers are offering up a race to people, it's theirs to organise the way they want to, not forcing down anyone's throat as the it's the runner's choice and responsibility to enter if they want to. Sure they're will criticism/positive feedback of where improvements can be made but is it really something to get heated about when the choice is fully with the runner at the end of the day?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,365 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

joesoap - Your final warning. Any more personal attacks or trolling, anywhere on the athletics forum and you are taking a week off.

Everyone else - stop feeding, dear god...please stop feeding

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,937 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Really glad to see the race is so popular, looking forward to the 31st where I hopefully am picked from the list.

I've spent 3 of the last 4 months recovering from a broken shoulder so was always going to wait till end of Aug before entering.

Great work DCM

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭coolhandspan

Hope everyone that did fd10 today got through in one piece. saw a few runners pull up along route..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Extrasupervery

Hope those who were disappointed got in! Commentator at FD this morning kept going on about '71 days' but that has to be bull cause I surely still have 6 months left to train for this thing.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

What's the story with the waves now, I registered months ago and was in Wave 1. I see there are more waves now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

Dub13 wrote: »
    What's the story with the waves now, I registered months ago and was in Wave 1. I see there are more waves now.

I emailed them 2 weeks ago about this and got no reply, my original wave was 4.15 plus, as I want to finish in and around 4 I really hope I'm not pushed back into what I presume will be the 4th 4.35 plus wave. I'll fire another email tomorrow as I know they were probably getting it from all angles that week over the cut off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Extrasupervery

They're very responsive on Facebook if you wanted to ask over there ^

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

They're very responsive on Facebook if you wanted to ask over there ^

They just gave me a number to ring

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Pink11

Looking for some help guys. My plan for this year was to go and get a PB in the marathon but that has gone horribly wrong.

I've had so many injuries and sickness since January and have been set back completely. I know a PB is out of the question I just want to compete and finish the marathon in one piece.

My average pace is at it's worst - I am hitting about 10mpm per mile on average (I used to be 8.30-9.20 last year).

I am *touch wood* doing very well the last 3/4 weeks and I have done two half marathons since July and the 10m on Saturday. I did a 10k recovery run last night and felt great. Doing my physio and strengthening work too 2 times a week.

Is it SAFE for me to compete in the marathon if i can train injury free from now until then? (*touch wood again!*)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Pink11 wrote: »
    Is it SAFE for me to compete in the marathon if i can train injury free from now until then? (*touch wood again!*)

What do you mean by SAFE?

You've completed a couple of half marathons and a 10 mile race in the last two months. You've run a marathon before. Why wouldn't it be safe to go from a half marathon to a marathon? If you get some long runs in, and you start at an appropriate speed, you should be able to keep that speed up to the end, surely?

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Pink11

RayCun wrote: »
    What do you mean by SAFE?

You've completed a couple of half marathons and a 10 mile race in the last two months. You've run a marathon before. Why wouldn't it be safe to go from a half marathon to a marathon? If you get some long runs in, and you start at an appropriate speed, you should be able to keep that speed up to the end, surely?

thanks!

haha by safe I mean... am I being stupid? Considering I don't have the speed or mileage under my belt that I should by now to comfortably complete it, i didn't want to do anything dangerous (more injuries) to a less than prepared (as I'd like) body. It's late August now, I don't have much time.

I know I've done those races but I'm about 20 minutes slower this year on my HM times.

I learned to 'respect the marathon'. You can't show up and just run it on the day for the glory.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Djoucer

Wouldn't be the greatest idea given the number of injuries you had.

May end up injuring yourself again in a rush to build up mileage.

That said, I think every runner has ran a race that they probably shouldn't have ran. Sometimes it works out, sometimes not.

Keep training but try not to chase missed miles.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Airtel31

I'm coming back after an operation which had me out for 3 weeks back training 3 weeks and up to 12 miles don't think I'm going to beat my 4.20 time but I will definitely get around that's all you can do I'm going to consentrate on strengthening as well as getting a few long runs in

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Pink11 wrote: »
    thanks!

haha by safe I mean... am I being stupid? Considering I don't have the speed or mileage under my belt that I should by now to comfortably complete it, i didn't want to do anything dangerous (more injuries) to a less than prepared (as I'd like) body. It's late August now, I don't have much time.

I know I've done those races but I'm about 20 minutes slower this year on my HM times.

I don't know what your injury history is like...

Are you going to train for where you are now, rather than try to do the training you had planned?
    Are you comfortable with the idea of running the marathon an hour slower than you did last year? (I don't know what you did last year, I'm just going on your half times)

The marathon is a long run, so if you're on the edge of an injury it could push you over. But if you're running it slowly there's less of a risk. Trying to increase your training rapidly to catch up, or trying to push past what you're capable of in the race, they're the things that will get you.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭aoboa

Dub13 wrote: »

Mailed them last night to move wave and got a reply just now and they resent my confirmation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Bahanaman

Was wondering if there are any here in the know as to the chances of being successful in being allocated one of the extra places on the 31st? I wasn't in a position to register before it closed and won't have done any of the races in the race series. I am training at the moment as if I had a place but am finding it hard! What're the odds on the 31st? I have a feeling that the training would become easier mentally from then if I'm in. If not I can see a major fall off with no target race lined up for the rest of the year.

Advertisement