Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dispensing with letting agent

Options
  • 20-06-2016 10:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭

The wife has an apartment rented through a letting agent for the past 3 years. The current tenant will have been insitu for 2 years next month and we wanted to increase the rent to market value and asked the agent to tell the tenant about the rise but they could move out if not happy with the proposed increase.

The agent hasn't been the best but was a friend of a friend and only charged 8% of the rent a month. We'd love to dispense with the letting agent and deal directly with the tenant ourselves as this would financially benefit both us and the tenant!!
    But where would we all stand if we did this??
    Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

I'm not sure what you mean. Plenty of LLs including myself don't use agents.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

Unless you have a contract with the agent, i'm pretty sure you can dump them whenever you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Baby01032012

+1 on the replies above. Also 8% for managing the let is the normal fee maybe a little high..so the friend of a friend is doing no favours.

Just be familiar with the RTA and the new rules. Do your research re: market rent in the area by simply looking at daft. You don't need a new lease. Just be prepared to put in a bit of work/time if you have to relet - if tenant doesn't agree to the increase and moves out.

Advertisement