Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Yamaha DT 125R A1 Licence and New Exhaust

Options
  • 20-06-2016 10:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Ok so I plan to get a 04 Yamaha Dt 125R and I am just curious is it legal to have this bike on the A1 license.

Also the bike i will be getting has some damage to the stock exhaust so would i be able to upgrade to a performance or aftermarket exhaust and still drive the bike on the A1 license.

Thanks Aran

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

A1: Motorcycles up to 125cc, with a power rating not more than 11kW with a power to weight ratio no greater than 0.1kW/kg

From the specs I've found, the DT125R is;

124cc
    10.3Kw
    0.09kw/kg

This means it should be an A1 category bike and I presume it has been designed to fall into the category. However, the onus is still on you to confirm these details and make sure that the variant you buy conforms to these specs and isn't, for example, from a different market with some other specs.

If you go for an aftermarket exhaust, there is a risk that it may be performance enhancing enough to push the bike over the A1 restrictions. I'd definitely play it safe in this regard and if you are in any doubt, you may have to get the bike dyno'd to be sure (and that's assuming the volume isn't impacted greatly). I'm sure there are more restrained aftermarket options too.

Advertisement