Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice Needed Please

Options
  • 20-06-2016 10:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Just noted that our smoke alarm is beeping. It is mains connected but this seems to have failed and its been relying on the backup battery, which is failing hence the beep.

Presumably whats in the picture is the problem.

Few questions:
    - Anyone know how that happened?
    - Anyone guess if it'll continue to be a problem?
    - Is it easy to swap out that connector? What do I need to do?
    - Does the connector come with a new smoke alarm?

Thanks all. I'm always very cautious with electrical issues.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

They only last for so long. The expiry date should be on the alarm.
    Bring the head to an electrical wholesaler and see if they can get you a new one so that you don't need to go near the wiring

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

Stoner wrote: »
    They only last for so long. The expiry date should be on the alarm.

Typically ten years.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

The Nest smoke detectors have a 7 year life. I find these units excellent as not only do they connect to an app on your phone but the have a built in carbon monoxide detector too. They will also "tell" you when they need replacement.

https://nest.com/ie/smoke-co-alarm/meet-nest-protect/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭karlitob

Thanks everyone. Appreciate that.

I don't understand about bringing the head to electrical wholesaler. How do I change the connector itself that's attached to those wires? (Probably the stupidest question you'll be asked today). And is it easy to replace the connector itself.
    (Edit: yes I'll buy a new one from the wholesaler rather than just replacing the connector. It's just how do I take off the connector in the first place - sorry I didn't ask the question well)

They've been in place 5 years. The expiry date is confusing.
    Date of manufacture: 201011
    Date of replacement: 202011

We've been having a lot of problems with the alarm going off while cooking - every meal. The alarm is an ionising smoke alarm. Would a heat alarm be better - though I know they're less sensitive.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭aido79

karlitob wrote: »
    Thanks everyone. Appreciate that.

I don't understand about bringing the head to electrical wholesaler. How do I change the connector itself that's attached to those wires? (Probably the stupidest question you'll be asked today). And is it easy to replace the connector itself.
    (Edit: yes I'll buy a new one from the wholesaler rather than just replacing the connector. It's just how do I take off the connector in the first place - sorry I didn't ask the question well)

They've been in place 5 years. The expiry date is confusing.
    Date of manufacture: 201011
    Date of replacement: 202011

We've been having a lot of problems with the alarm going off while cooking - every meal. The alarm is an ionising smoke alarm. Would a heat alarm be better - though I know they're less sensitive.

I think your problem is with the batteries rather than the mains power.Is the mains power light on or have you tested it to confirm there is no mains power at the detector?Smoke detectors will beep when the batteries need changing so it might be worth changing the batteries before buying new smoke detectors.
    I read the date of replacement as November 2020 but am open to correction. Was the house built in 2010?

I think a heat detector would be more suited to a kitchen but maybe someone else who deals with smoke detectors can confirm this.

• Advertisement

A heat detector should be in the kitchen.
    Are your detectors expired or not? Is that a date format you gave?
    You can leave the base and connector in place and just buy an identical unit that you can connect into the same existing base.
    There are no electronics in the base.
    It's just like and egg cup. You might just need a new egg!!

As posted above you might just need batteries, if the detectors are in date replace the batteries.

aido79 wrote: »
    I think your problem is with the batteries rather than the mains power.Is the mains power light on or have you tested it to confirm there is no mains power at the detector?Smoke detectors will beep when the batteries need changing so it might be worth changing the batteries before buying new smoke detectors.
    I read the date of replacement as November 2020 but am open to correction. Was the house built in 2010?

I think a heat detector would be more suited to a kitchen but maybe someone else who deals with smoke detectors can confirm this.

Thanks. Much clearer.

Yes the green mains light is not working.

Any advice on the connector and how to replace would be great.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭aido79

Thanks. Much clearer.

Yes the green mains light is not working.

Any advice on the connector and how to replace would be great.

It's hard to tell from your pictures but is there screws on the connector? If there isn't then there is more than likely a junction near the detector in the ceiling. Turn the power off and gently pull the wires to check if there is and let us know what you find.

Stoner wrote: »
    A heat detector should be in the kitchen.
    Are your detectors expired or not? Is that a date format you gave?
    You can leave the base and connector in place and just buy an identical unit that you can connect into the same existing base.
    There are no electronics in the base.
    It's just like and egg cup. You might just need a new egg!!

As posted above you might just need batteries, if the detectors are in date replace the batteries.

Understood. Thank you.

I'll get new batteries firstly

The green mains light isn't on so I'll purchase a heat alarm (not smoke which I think is causing the problem of alarming at each meal). I see what you mean about egg and cup. I just thought that since the connector looks black that something damage might have occurred there.

Yes the date format is on the alarm. They were installed in Feb 2012.

Any recommendation for a good heat alarm?

As they are interlinked with your other alarms it must be of the same type. You can't mix and match brands.

• Advertisement

Risteard81 wrote: »
    As they are interlinked with your other alarms it must be of the same type. You can't mix and match brands.

Are you kidding me?

Are you kidding me?
    No, I am not.

No, I am not.

Sorry - frustrated. The more I learn about homes and DIY the more frustrating it gets. If it can go wrong it will go wrong and it'll cost you!

It just doesn't make sense that a system has to have the same type of alarm (not challenging what you said). If the company goes bust; or if an alarm breaks and you want to upgrade to something better; or who knows where an electrician gets the alarms from - then you'll have to change all the alarms across the house. The cost would be huge. Would that not be the same as having to have one type of light switch because they're linked. Anyway I'm sure there's a good reason why they are linked and need to be the same system.

Hopefully that company has good quality heat alarms. Thanks again.

If they are interlinked the brands will need to match for the interlink to work.
    They are interlinked so that a fire in your kitchen will sound in your bedroom. Light switches don't need this awareness

Have you the old head? If it's not batteries , bring it to an electrical wholesaler and ask them if they can get you a new one,
    But it sounds like you don't need a new one just batteries. It's a 5 minute job..
    Best of luck with it.

Advertisement