Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Child marked absent from school because he had a doctors appointment

Options

Comments

I totally sympathise with the child and parent. I have three children, the oldest just about to finish 6th class. Out of the three of them they have never missed a days school. I know that they too would be upset if 99% was on there report when they had gone in for the remainder of the day. This child should be applauded as they still had the mind set to go in when plenty of other children and parents would say why bother.
    There are plenty of parents and children too lazy to bother getting up in the mornings to get to school. However a lot of these are on social welfare payments and getting every hand out going that the rest of us dont get. And are just leading there children down the same lazy paths they have taken and will never have any ambition in life only to go on social welfare as well. These are people who are too lazy to hold down jobs and think it's also ok to skip work. There teaching there kids from an early age that attendance for school doesn't matter and as they get older that the same applies to work and college.
    When my children weren't in the school system I had to pay childcare when me and my husband worked, we got no hand outs. We still had to pay childcare if the children were sick or on holidays. We were paying 480 euro per week in childcare at one stage. I couldn't turn around to a crèche and say I won't bother today and won't pay. It's the same with school your legally obliged to send your kids to school so why are so many parents and kids so lazy and useless. I can guarantee you that the majority of the moaners to this topic are the people who never paid for childcare and are getting hand outs and are not dedicated to anything in life only being layabouts. But see nothing wrong with missing school for no good reason.
    My children take pride in there attendance but also have achieved the top grades in all there subjects in school from junior infants up. I am not a pushy mother my children take pride in everything they do and I think that this other patent and child have every right to be upset. And I too would be.

Hopefully, now that your children have attended school everyday, they will be able to tell the difference between there & their.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Starokan

What's a small issue or even a non issue for most can be a big thing for someone else so I'm not going to belittle your feelings on it op

It's simple though your child was not present 100% of the time so if you want to be absolutely correct in this the attendance will be 99.whatever to reflect the time missed on the day of the appointment, there is no way to spin this to say your child attended 100% , they didn't therefore you really should just let it go.

The rules of roll call in the school determine the percentage and you fall outside them, had you known about it you could have brought the child in for roll call and then took him out, you would have 100% but it also would not have been accurate even if it made you feel better

No matter what way you look at it 100% would be wrong , suck it up and move on would be my advice

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

Thats the way alot of people see these issues and that many people who are getting hand outs are too lazy to better themselves and there children. Im not the only one who thinks this im just being honest.I know the recession hit people hard. My husband is in the construction industry. But we had to manage like many others without handouts as his self employed and wouldnt have qualified for socialwelfare. But he worked right throughout the recession and is still working We still had to pay our mortgage .Like people in council houses who have little to pay in rent but still winge. My point from the start was that childtem learn from parent's its a vicious cycle that goes from generation to generation.

This is nothing but an ill-informed, incoherent and poorly spelled rant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,166 ✭✭✭Tasden

Im serious this is how many people see it, including many teachers and principles. And it is the same children from primary to secondary school who aren't good at attendance. And the majority cant hold down jobs after school due to lack of attendance for no good reason. As this is how they were brought up. So see nothing wrong with taking a day off to lie in bed. Children and parents with good attendance should be proud and I feel for this child and parent as I think it was unfair.

It's how you see it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

I guess your a non achiever aswell with no goals and wouldnt mind bringing your kids up to be unreliable

Welcome to Boards.ie

I'm getting my welcome in while you're still around :pac:

Now, if you had a full attendance yourself we may have issues with your English teacher.

• Advertisement

I guess your a non achiever aswell with no goals and wouldnt mind bringing your kids up to be unreliable

Your (note the correct use, it is different from 'you're', meaning you are, and would be the correct word to use rather than 'your' in the above sentence) view is incorrect and I would not (if you're - see, correct form again!- writing 'would not' as 'wouldn't' there needs to be an apostrophe before the 't') bring my kids up to be unreliable.
    Gosh, and I even managed to miss school occasionally!

• Registered Users Posts: 30,549 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I totally sympathise with the child and parent. I have three children, the oldest just about to finish 6th class. Out of the three of them they have never missed a days school. I know that they too would be upset if 99% was on there report when they had gone in for the remainder of the day. This child should be applauded as they still had the mind set to go in when plenty of other children and parents would say why bother.
    There are plenty of parents and children too lazy to bother getting up in the mornings to get to school. However a lot of these are on social welfare payments and getting every hand out going that the rest of us dont get. And are just leading there children down the same lazy paths they have taken and will never have any ambition in life only to go on social welfare as well. These are people who are too lazy to hold down jobs and think it's also ok to skip work. There teaching there kids from an early age that attendance for school doesn't matter and as they get older that the same applies to work and college.
    When my children weren't in the school system I had to pay childcare when me and my husband worked, we got no hand outs. We still had to pay childcare if the children were sick or on holidays. We were paying 480 euro per week in childcare at one stage. I couldn't turn around to a crèche and say I won't bother today and won't pay. It's the same with school your legally obliged to send your kids to school so why are so many parents and kids so lazy and useless. I can guarantee you that the majority of the moaners to this topic are the people who never paid for childcare and are getting hand outs and are not dedicated to anything in life only being layabouts. But see nothing wrong with missing school for no good reason.
    My children take pride in there attendance but also have achieved the top grades in all there subjects in school from junior infants up. I am not a pushy mother my children take pride in everything they do and I think that this other patent and child have every right to be upset. And I too would be.
    Thats the way alot of people see these issues and that many people who are getting hand outs are too lazy to better themselves and there children. Im not the only one who thinks this im just being honest.I know the recession hit people hard. My husband is in the construction industry. But we had to manage like many others without handouts as his self employed and wouldnt have qualified for socialwelfare. But he worked right throughout the recession and is still working We still had to pay our mortgage .many people in council houses who have little to pay in rent but still winge. My point from the start was that children learn from parent's its a vicious cycle that goes from generation to generation.
    Im serious this is how many people see it, including many teachers and principles. And it is the same children from primary to secondary school who aren't good at attendance. And the majority cant hold down jobs after school due to lack of attendance for no good reason. As this is how they were brought up. So see nothing wrong with taking a day off to lie in bed. Children and parents with good attendance should be proud and I feel for this child and parent as I think it was unfair.

I often wondered during my school days and as I got older about how theirs a few children so snobby going to school. I figured it out a while ago. They get it from there parents.
    Don't worry tough, they generally rebel against their parents when their teenagers and from speaking to teachers/principles, they find the same!(from speaking to them as well, they love seeing the snobby/perfect parents children rebel)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

lazygal wrote: »
    Gosh, and I even managed to miss school occasionally!

Dats caus you is lazy

Dats caus you is lazy

Your rong.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,074 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

What a bizarre thread.

Go volunteer at Crumlin hospital for a few days and see if 100% attendance matters to the parents you would meet - they'd be praying for 30% and just a few days of normality and friendship for their kids.

Some things matter in life and some things do not. 99% against 100% for school attendance does not and any child that gets it into their head that only 100% in everything is the bar, there will be problems.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭tuisginideach

Well done to your child and to the parent(s) who encouraged him. However as per the circular quoted above, the school cannot change the present/absent mark that is inserted at roll call time. Your comment/complaint should be to the department, not the school.

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭hearmehearye

OP- you say attendance is important to both you and your son. That's understandable, it's important for the vast majority of parents and kids.

The only difference is - attendance varies amongst kids for various reasons. It's just pure pox that you've never had a death during term, the child was never ill (debatable) or indeed, the child was happy to go to school every day.

In my case, throughout both primary and secondary, i missed maybe 5 days or more every year, for illness, deaths, and days where I felt I couldn't cope with going in to school (depression).

And you know what - no one, not one person ever, has asked for attendance records.

In fact I'd be using this experience as a valuable lesson to teach your son. In life, we may do amazing things as a result of hard work and dedication, but not everyone, or indeed anyone, is going to notice it. The only thing to do is put the head down, and keep going. Throwing a strop reflects a severely entitled attitude. That cheap print out certificate means nothing. Be thankful you've a healthy child and that your family members aren't dropping like flies.

You say you don't want to be told that it's not a big deal. Sorry, it's not a big deal.

I am just putting over my point of view like every one else. As they say freedom of speech. And for the comment on teachers loving to see kids rebel I dont agree. I have worked in teaching and so have many of my friends from primary school to college and they don't have that attitude. We encourage kids. In fact we do everything we can to motivate and help them. On a note to the original poster you can ring the department of education and they might be able to adjust
    A point of view can be wrong. Everyone has a point of view, but we can't all be right all of the time.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,764 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Sounds like the OP got codded on a technicality though, if the doctors appointment had been in the afternoon and they just brought their child in for an hour or two in the morning they would have been marked down as present and got the 100% record?

Sounds like the OP got codded on a technicality though, if the doctors appointment had been in the afternoon and they just brought their child in for an hour or two in the morning they would have been marked down as present and got the 100% record?

The kid still missed a day in first class, no?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,678 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

My two younger ones missed 7 days last November for a family holiday.

Do you thing they were concerned about missing a few days off school..no they were more happy with the family memories that they`ll have of that holidaynot whether they had a 100% attendance record.
    Reading the OP Id be more concerned that this is coming from the parents and not the child wanting a full attendance record.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭somefeen

Its a lesson in life that sometimes no matter how hard you try you just get unlucky.
    What kind of lesson are you teaching by getting upset over it? He was absent for some of that day so it will never be 100% Unlucky, move on.

You should point out that it is OK to miss a day. Otherwise in 10 years or so you'll have a burnt out adult.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,166 ✭✭✭Tasden

Hellrazer wrote: »

Do you thing they were concerned about missing a few days off school..no they were more happy with the family memories that they`ll have of that holidaynot whether they had a 100% attendance record.
    Reading the OP Id be more concerned that this is coming from the parents and not the child wanting a full attendance record.

My daughter is extremely proud of her attendance record. And we dont actually make a conscious effort towards it. It means little to me, some kids find these things a big deal. Now I wouldn't be kicking up a fuss about it if i was in ops shoes but it may very well be the kid that wants the award and the parent is disappointed for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭njs030

Tasden wrote: »
    My daughter is extremely proud of her attendance record. And we dont actually make a conscious effort towards it. It means little to me, some kids find these things a big deal. Now I wouldn't be kicking up a fuss about it if i was in ops shoes but it may very well be the kid that wants the award and the parent is disappointed for them.

The problem with the entire thread is that the child was absent a half day and did not have 100% attendance whatever way you look at it.
    Op said it was a non urgent doctors appointment so maybe in future these should be scheduled outside school hours where the child won't be missing school.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭finglashoop

My kids rarely miss school and often get term certs for 100% attendance which is nice but not the most important. My two daughters are currently on holiday in spain with their nanny Theyll be going to school Monday when they are back.

( first and only time it will.be happening so keep your high horsery to yourself)

3 days missed between both up to the report being sent out.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,764 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

The kid still missed a day in first class, no?

But it'S only the report for this year the OP is questioning

But it'S only the report for this year the OP is questioning

Ah yes, my apologies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Lady is a tramp

I completely disagree with certificates/awards for attendance.

Why should you be "rewarded" for being lucky enough not to experience illness/bereavements/etc? Some children with chronic illnesses and subsequent poor attendance are far more deserving of an award for the days they do make it into school.

I know of a young fella in primary school with terminal cancer, and even when he was in the final weeks of his life, his parents arranged for him (at his request) to be hooked up via Skype with the classroom from his bedroom. Puts things into perspective. He may not have been physically present, but he probably made a hell of a lot more effort than his classmates who were lucky enough to have 99%/100% attendance.

Attendance shouldn't even be mentioned in school reports, in my opinion, unless it's problematic, i.e. lots of unexplained/unjustified absences. Even if your son had gotten 100%, it's nothing for you or him to be particularly proud of, you should just be happy that he's healthy and well. He probably wouldn't consider it such a big deal if you didn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭Flippyfloppy

Seriously, both teachers and principals and society in general would prefer if sick kids were kept at home and not sent in to school because they're not that sick. 100% attendance over 6 years is insane!

I guess you're a non achiever when it comes to spelling correctly. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 642 ✭✭✭qrx

Hellrazer wrote: »

We go on holidays during school holidays, you know, so the kids don't miss any school.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,549 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I am just putting over my point of view like every one else. As they say freedom of speech. And for the comment on teachers loving to see kids rebel I dont agree. I have worked in teaching and so have many of my friends from primary school to college and they don't have that attitude. We encourage kids. In fact we do everything we can to motivate and help them. On a note to the original poster you can ring the department of education and they might be able to adjust

Of course any good person in education wants all students to do their best. I never said that. You can still do good in education and rebel against mammy and daddy.
    Teachers/Principals understand that all families are different and in they don't have such a dim view of people on social welfare because they understand that circumstances can be very difficult for families!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Rallycrazygirl - enough with the sweeping generalisations regarding people on social welfare.
    Take some time to read the forum charter and general rules for posting on boards.
    Warning issued.

Every one else - please do not respond to obviously inflammatory posts.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Good sweet mighty mercy, you turn your back for one day and the primary forum goes loo-laa. As Spurious says, no silly generalizations. I have the cards in my pockets, folks and I'm not afraid to hand them out.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,678 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

qrx wrote: »
    We go on holidays during school holidays, you know, so the kids don't miss any school.

Well I don't.Since they were all small I've taken them out for family holidays.
    Usually the last week when they are doing nothing.Except this year as I have one doing a leaving cert.

And you know something?

It hasn't affected any of them one bit.All high achievers.And if there is anything they might miss they bring their work with them or we ask the teacher for extra work for them to do while we are away.

Advertisement