Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Launch PS4 fan like a jet engine

Options
  • 21-06-2016 2:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭

My launch system was always a bit louder than I'd like, but in recent months it's become very noticeable. While playing uncharted 4 it was getting so loud I was afraid it'd overheat. I've tried my best to clear out the dust and keep it ventilated but not much luck.

It's obviously out of standard 2 year warranty, but I read that I might be able to contest it given Ireland's 6 statutory warranty. Might it be worth a shot?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Murseyless

Mine was the same. If i wanted to play without headsets I'd have to crank the volume up. It was a brand new purchase and I began experiencing this problem after only a few months of very regular use.

It because such a bother that it now sits as a stand gathering dust.

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭uprooted tradition

I have a launch system too and it has always been loud when starting up or when a game was loading but it settled down soon enough. If it is getting worse than there may be a problem, if you think you can get it repaired or replaced out of warranty it is definitely worth a shot but I wouldn't get my hopes up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭LunarSea

I have a launch system too and it has always been loud when starting up or when a game was loading but it settled down soon enough. If it is getting worse than there may be a problem, if you think you can get it repaired or replaced out of warranty it is definitely worth a shot but I wouldn't get my hopes up.

I don't know how people can confuse the noise of the disc drive at start up for the fan noise.

OP basically has a typical early model - the model number will probably be CUH-10xx or CUH-11xx.

I'm on my third PS4 - launch model was like the OP's, got it replaced as I figured it shouldn't be that loud. Nope, that's how the earlier consoles are. Thought it was going to explode playing The Witcher III last year.

The only way to remedy it is to pick up a newer (CUH-12xx) model. They're the standard model since about October last year (first version of it to hit Ireland was the MGS V LE, so I jumped on that ASAP). They're not totally silent (mine still makes a good bit of fan noise with Uncharted 4), but it's a reasonable enough sound (probably as loud as my old PS3 Slim under load), certainly not like the older models.

Advertisement