Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Legal requirements when switching a mortgage

• 21-06-2016 6:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭

I'm switching my mortgage. It's for the only reason that my current provider is too expensive. Nothing in the house has changed and my wifes financial circumstances and mine have gotten better since we took out original mortgage 10 years ago.

I've just been asked for the following by my solicitor.

1: Certificate of exemption regarding NPRR. I don't know why. I live in the house and it's our only one.
    2: Proof that the property tax is paid up to date. I can see why this is important when buying a house. Is it necessary when switching a mortgage.
    3: Proof that the Irish Water bill is up to date. Similar to 2.
    4: A BER certificate. I don't have one. So I've to pay an engineer a couple of hundred quid to give me a certificate that I don't care about.

Is this stuff normal for a switcher? I can get all of this together but it's a pain in the hole and a cost I don't need. For NPRR I've to get bills from 2009 -> 2013. For BER I've to pay for a cert I don't need. And it delay our application by another couple of weeks. This'll bring us into month 4 of this process.

I know people who have switched recently and they haven't been asked for this stuff. I'd like to say to my solicitor that it's not needed but I can't really argue with her from a position of knowledge. I did ask her when she sent me these requirements if this was normal for a switcher. She said yes. There must be regulations of what is required to switch a mortgage. Can anybody point me in a helpful direction?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 210 ✭✭PaulM1977

I would query these with the lender you are switching to as they are asking your solicitor for them, when they may not be needed. Are you dealing with a bank directly or through a broker?

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭mickoneill31

PaulM1977 wrote: »
    I would query these with the lender you are switching to as they are asking your solicitor for them, when they may not be needed. Are you dealing with a bank directly or through a broker?

Dealing with Ulster Bank. They're not proving great when I ask them anything. I did query my mortgage adviser yesterday. He said he'd get back to me this morning. Still holding my breath.

I would imagine that they'll come back and say they don't need these (or some of them anyway). I just don't want the solicitor to say ah but it's part of her due diligence. I can't argue against stuff like that (as in I don't know enough about what is required to argue against it).

I've started the ball rolling on the free stuff. I contacted Bord Gais this morning to see if I could get bills for 2009 - 2013. They only keep records for 2 years and anything older than that needs a written request. Happy days :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭Trish56

Just spoke to a Solicitor a few minutes ago and to switch a mortgage none of the items mentioned are required. The Bank would not look for these either as you own the property and will continue to own the property and all those requirements are only needed if you are selling.

You need to get yourself a new Solicitor or indeed ring her and tell her you have checked and these are only requirements if you are selling your house.
    Good Luck.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 210 ✭✭PaulM1977

If you are switching providers only and not moving home, I can't see why they would need this additional information. Definitely check it with your solicitor as to why you need all this information when you are not selling your place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,422 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

What is NPRR?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭Trish56

It's an annual €200 charge brought in by Government in 2009 for properties that were not your main residence such as investment properties, holidays homes etc. It was replaced by the property tax in 2013. When you are selling a property you must prove that the property you are selling was your principle private residence between 2009 and 2013 and if not the NPPR which if not paid is now quite substantial has to be paid before the property can be sold.

Advertisement