Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Camping trip to Donegal

Options
  • 21-06-2016 10:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,353 ✭✭✭

Hi folks.
    We're planning a camping trip for 2 adults and 2 kids(7 and 4)for July and hoping to go up around the top of Ireland. Coming from Cork, we've never been up that far before so wanna see what it has to offer. We're trying to decide on wether to do 2 weeks in Donegal or maybe just a week, and then cross over the border for the 2nd week.
    Have ye any recommendations on where to stay? Is everything in the North ok for a day trip from Donegal. We dont mind doing 2/3 day trips of a few hours each way from the campsite to break things up if needed but would we be better off doing Donegal properly and then moving on and base somewhere else.
    For some reason im not finding too much info online. Apart from the Causeway theres nothing i can think of thats a must see for us so we're easy as long as the kids are happy.
    Any hints or ideas for things to do when the weather isnt great would be appreciated.
    Thanks for reading,
    Red.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

.red. wrote: »
    Hi folks.
    We're planning a camping trip for 2 adults and 2 kids(7 and 4)for July and hoping to go up around the top of Ireland. Coming from Cork, we've never been up that far before so wanna see what it has to offer. We're trying to decide on wether to do 2 weeks in Donegal or maybe just a week, and then cross over the border for the 2nd week.
    Have ye any recommendations on where to stay? Is everything in the North ok for a day trip from Donegal. We dont mind doing 2/3 day trips of a few hours each way from the campsite to break things up if needed but would we be better off doing Donegal properly and then moving on and base somewhere else.
    For some reason im not finding too much info online. Apart from the Causeway theres nothing i can think of thats a must see for us so we're easy as long as the kids are happy.
    Any hints or ideas for things to do when the weather isnt great would be appreciated.
    Thanks for reading,
    Red.
    outdoor activities, if you like them donegal is heaven for kayaking, hillwalking, rock climbing etc

• Registered Users Posts: 22,308 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Bring good insect repellent! The midges are vicious.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭nmg_ire

For Donegal i would say the following
    -Donegal Town - good tourist town - trips to sliabh league
    -Arranmore Island - you travel out on a car ferry
    -Dunfanaghy or Downings- 2 small villages but are big tourist areas with great beaches - trip to Fanad head lighthouse.
    -Greencastle/Moville

So Donegal Town is the south of the County travel around the west coast and they you go through Derry from Greencastle

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭all the bais

- Derry city. They do a great walking tour of the cities surrounding walls & Bogside area.
    - Fermanagh lakes. Spent a weekend camping in Lisnaskea. The area was called Share Village, if you want to google it.

• Registered Users Posts: 46,103 ✭✭✭✭muffler

This is worth a look and also have a read through this thread

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭CiaranMcDCFC

If you are up in Inishowen then Greencastle / Moville is a good shout if you want kayaking, fishing, walking etc. Not much in the towns themselves. Go to Kinnagoe Bay as well, best beach in Ireland!

Malin Head is great for dolphin, basking shark watching. Also set for Star Wars so if the kids are into Star Wars an added attraction.

The Isle of Doagh famine village is also worth a visit as is Dunree Fort and Musuem.

Derry has already been covered above, great walking tower and lovely city to have a wander in.

If you are in the North the kids will love Portrush, lots of amusements etc.

Is everything in the North ok for a day trip from Donegal.
    Nearly forgot about this part of your post. Most times of the year its fine to go into NI...in fact you wouldnt really notice any great difference other than the different currency and better roads :)

However in the period around 12th July its probably best to avoid unless you are familiar with the different areas in the north. Literally thousands of people leave NI during that period and go to Donegal/other parts of Ireland or abroad for a week or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,353 ✭✭✭.red.

muffler wrote: »
    Nearly forgot about this part of your post. Most times of the year its fine to go into NI...in fact you wouldnt really notice any great difference other than the different currency and better roads :)

However in the period around 12th July its probably best to avoid unless you are familiar with the different areas in the north. Literally thousands of people leave NI during that period and go to Donegal/other parts of Ireland or abroad for a week or so.
    Ha ha, thanks for all the replies. Keep them coming. Much appreciated.
    What i meant was,
    Ive always heard about Donegals beautiful landscape, the beaches, the cliffs etc so i want to see it for myself. Would we be better off basing there for the 2 weeks and would everything worth seeing across the boarder be in commuting distance for a few day trip's, or just stay a week and see what we want to see locally. Then cross over the border for a week and see what we want in the north.
    We originally planned to stay in Donegal but looking at the camping Ireland website the campsites in the north seem much better. We were thinking of just staying in the north cos of this but i have Donegal in my head so a bit torn.
    We're heading up on the 18th so hopefully everything will have calmed down by then.
    Thanks again.

Ive just read my reply above aend its more confusing than the original one lol. Ive been up at 4am the last 3 morning so im blaming that.
    What i mean is,
    If i stay somewhere nice and coastal in Donegal, can i commute to anything worth seeing in the north within 1/2ish hours maybe from where im based. I could do 2 or 3 day trips across the boarder as long as the spins arent too long or the kids will drive me mad.
    The drive from Cork to Donegal is gonna be long enough as it is with the 2 of them fighting between themselves.
    Thanks again.

Ive just read my reply above aend its more confusing than the original one lol. Ive been up at 4am the last 3 morning so im blaming that.
    What i mean is,
    If i stay somewhere nice and coastal in Donegal, can i commute to anything worth seeing in the north within 1/2ish hours maybe from where im based. I could do 2 or 3 day trips across the boarder as long as the spins arent too long or the kids will drive me mad.
    The drive from Cork to Donegal is gonna be long enough as it is with the 2 of them fighting between themselves.
    Thanks again.
    Depends a lot on what part of Donegal you're basing yourself in. Most of the coastal areas are indeed a good 1.5 hours drive on average to get to places in the north that would be close to the border. Derry would be great for shopping and taking in a few views of the city and its history. Another 45 - 60 mins further on would take you to the likes of Portrush, Bushmills, Giants causeway etc all of which are in either north Derry/Antrim.

If you intend visiting in Derry/Co. Derry/Co. Antrim then it would be best to pitch tent in the Inishowen area which is in the North East of the county. However if you intended to go to Fermanagh which is beautiful especially around Enniskillen then having a base around the south west of the county would be best. Maybe move to a couple of different places around the county here and stay for 2 or 3 nights at each location.

But Donegal is a big county and while it may not have as many facilities (thinking children here) as some other counties it has lots of glorious scenery and it would take you a good week to visit just a few of them.

Have a good study at a map of the Northwest in advance :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭Pique

There's a glamping place out near Glen (can't remember the name, someone else might be able to post a link) that might be of interest.

Thanks for all the replies.
    Ill have a proper look thru all the suggestions on my days off and decide on where to go then.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,218 ✭✭✭overshoot

Ive always heard about Donegals beautiful landscape, the beaches, the cliffs etc so i want to see it for myself.
    just as i see beaches and cliffs highlighted i would recommend at least a day trip out to sliabh league (save the walk and drive past the gate - you will understand when there!), from there to Malin Beg beach (both wild atlantic way points so well signposted).
    From Malin Beg to Glencolmcille (great drive) and from there go to a place called "Port" - may need directions from the locals initially. It really is the middle of nowhere, say 30mins from Glen but a ushaped valley & lake on approach, great cliffs, sea stacks and a nice white stoney beach. (climb to the right of the beach when looking out to see to find the sea stacks).

There is a full day in that depending on how far you venture in Sliabh League & port.
    The coast road to Kilcar (coming from killybegs turn left just after the Blue Haven), Glengesh pass going back to Ardara are worth (minor) detours.

Another detour would be Maghery beach and caves (tide must be out) near Ardara and Asceranca waterfall along the road to the beach. All the above could be done in one loop but it will be a long day

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

There's a campsite in Creeslough, whose name escapes me now, but which looks pretty good. On a wet day, Tropical World in Letterkenny is a very good two hour excursion for the family. Arena 7 has bowling, laser shooting, slot machines, an indoor play area and is as noisy and brash as you'd expect. The best of Donegal is outdoors of course.

It you have two weeks you'd really be better to base in Donegal for one and NI for another. You'd be knackered doing day trips from e.g. west Donegal to the Causeway coast.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Not sure if too late but.... the Ulster American Folk Park near Omagh is worth a visit. It's doable as a day trip from Donegal depending on where you stay.

We're booked into Rosguil holiday park near Downings, looks like a really nice spot(if the weather behaves). Im really looking forward to it now.
    Gonna head over to Newcastle direction after that.
    Thanks for all the replies,

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭CarrickMcJoe

Pique wrote: »
    There's a glamping place out near Glen (can't remember the name, someone else might be able to post a link) that might be of interest.

There's also a fantastic restaurant in Glen.

Hi folks,
    We're home from our trip and had a great time. The campsite was a little isolated but in a stunning location so we loved it. The beach below it was like something from a postcard when the sun shone.
    We didn't do a whole lot as the weather was mostly good but did a few scenic drives and did Fanad lighthouse which the kids loved.
    We moved over to a spot near newry after that.
    Thanks for the recommendations.

Hi folks,
    We're home from our trip and had a great time. The campsite was a little isolated but in a stunning location so we loved it. The beach below it was like something from a postcard when the sun shone.
    We didn't do a whole lot as the weather was mostly good but did a few scenic drives and did Fanad lighthouse which the kids loved.
    We moved over to a spot near newry after that.
    Thanks for the recommendations.
    Glad you enjoyed it :)

Advertisement