Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Italian restaurant Limerick

• 21-06-2016 10:25am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I'm looking for a good Italian restaurant for a birthday dinner for the missus.

She's been to Da Vincenzo's in the George recently so would prefer somewhere else.

Was tossing up between Bella Italia and La Piccola. Any opinions or other suggestions?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

Of the above, La Piccola would be my choice. There's always Milano's too ...

If you ventured out of the city there's La Cucina in Castletroy. They're opening in the city in September I think, so unless you're planning your partner's birthday dinner months in advance then this might not be of much use to you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,523 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I like Tuscany in the Newtown Center in Annacotty.

http://tuscany.ie/

By the way, Da Vincenzo's is in the George, not the Savoy. Maybe she hasn't actually been to Da Vincenzo's but thinks she has?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭sioda

+1 for Tuscany my favorite Italian in the city.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

Da Vicenzo's is the best Italian restaurant in Limerick by a country mile.They have their wine theatre coming up on the 5th July which would be a lovely birthday treat. Da Vicenzo is fast becoming my favourite new Liemrick person. look at him kayaking here in his Da Vicenzo chef outfit, so cute :)
    da%20vicenzo_zpsvcunarje.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭moby2101

sioda wrote: »
    +1 for Tuscany my favorite Italian in the city.

+2 !! Best by a mile

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

panda100 wrote: »
    Da Vicenzo's is the best Italian restaurant in Limerick by a country mile.They have their wine theatre coming up on the 5th July which would be a lovely birthday treat. Da Vicenzo is fast becoming my favourite new Liemrick person. look at him kayaking here in his Da Vicenzo chef outfit, so cute :)
    da%20vicenzo_zpsvcunarje.jpg

fee09c31a3403c5553ed225c8a4bc034.jpg

For me personally - La Piccola is mile's ahead of Da Vincenzo's in terms of authentic italian food.

Mc Love wrote: »
    For me personally - La Piccola is mile's ahead of Da Vincenzo's in terms of authentic italian food.

I will give La Piccola my vote when I see them kayaking down the Shannon in their chef's uniform :pac:

No love for Vincenzos at all went once was very clear not a mushroom fan both dishes with mushroom based sauces.

Starters were nothing special.

Never liked la Piccola again ate there a few times and it was fine but never rushed back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

Another vote for Tuscany from me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭Jofspring

Ya another one for Tuscany. To be honest I don't really understand how some of the other Italians are so popular and tuscany isn't. Best around that I have tried.

Tuscany is a bit of a pain in the arse to get to. It's miles out of the city!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

Sounds like Tuscany is the one then! Doesn't bother me as living out of town means I'm going to be the designated driver anyway.

Thanks everyone for your responses, must give some of the others a blast too at some stage. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,045 ✭✭✭✭gramar

La Piccola had fantastic food when I was there. Lovely cosy place and an authentic feel and the hazelnut ice-cream...jaysus!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,853 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

zulutango wrote: »
    They're opening in the city in September I think, so unless you're planning your partner's birthday dinner months in advance then this might not be of much use to you.

Yeah, I think La Cucina are due to start work on the fit out very soon.

Yeah, I think La Cucina are due to start work on the fit out very soon.
    Any idea where

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭Vanquished

sioda wrote: »
    Any idea where

The former cafe cupcake/Maze unit on Henry Street.

Surprised by that the unit isn't great but will see plenty of me

Nothing has worked in that unit. The very narrow footpath and busy street makes it somewhat uninviting. But La Cucina is a cut above anything else that has been in there. Hope they succeed and go from strength to strength. They're a great outfit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭TonyCliftonEsq

Vanquished wrote: »
    The former cafe cupcake/Maze unit on Henry Street.

That place is cursed. Worst unit they could have picked

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭PetKing

You never would have thought they'd work in some retail unit stranded in Castletroy, but there ya go. If they quality is up to scratch, they'll be fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭Tefral

Tender is gone out for the hanging gardens construction contractors so they could be playing the long game waiting for all of that.

cronin_j wrote:
    Tender is gone out for the hanging gardens construction contractors so they could be playing the long game waiting for all of that.

Great point. The Hanging Gardens is likely to be a big stimulus to Henry Street and around there.

Also, House will be just around the corner. I think La Cucina will do great business there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,853 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

Jaffa traded out of that unit successfully for a long time. It's only everything else that went in after it that was a failure.

Plus, as someone mentions you have House opening soon as well as the Hanging Gardens development. Add to that, the Savoy and The George within a minute or two's walk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭TonyCliftonEsq

panda100 wrote: »

Can't believe Da Vicenzo isn't on the list. Arguably the best in Limerick

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,523 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Or Tuscany...

Advertisement