Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

When can pups be weaned

• 21-06-2016 10:31am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭

I am curious about when pups can be weaned. They are 4 week old border collies. There are 4 so there has always been plenty of milk for them. They are all quite fat (and immensely cute!). Mom is on mother and pup dried food, with cans of select gold junior, mixed with fresh meat/fish, twice a day. Managing to maintain her weight quite well. I've noticed over the last few days the pups are licking the side of mom's food bowl and when I picked one up yesterday, having torn up some meat for mom, he licked my fingers because he could smell the meat. I took a tiny piece of jelly from the canned food and he ate that. So they definitely seem hungry.

Is it too early to try them on puppy mousse maybe mashed up with some formula?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,611 ✭✭✭muddypaws

I start around 3 weeks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

muddypaws wrote: »
    I start around 3 weeks

Wow didn't realize it could be that soon. I feel bad now, they are probably hungry :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Springwell

I start at 2.5-3 weeks - minced beef or chicken mixed with goat's milk

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,760 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Although it was long ago, we started weaning our lab pups on a mix of porridge and bovril

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

Springwell wrote: »
    I start at 2.5-3 weeks - minced beef or chicken mixed with goat's milk

Is goats milk better for them than formula?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

I raised my Rottie litter on Goats milk, cost a fortune lol, but well worth it.

You can start introducing food from around 3 weeks so i would def make a start now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Springwell

OldNotWIse wrote: »
    Is goats milk better for them than formula?

It depends on the formula! Goat's milk is easy to digest and easy to get hold of in any supermarket. I also give it to my older dogs so always have it on hand.

Advertisement