Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Replacement bath tub

Options
  • 21-06-2016 11:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Hi guys,

I'm hoping someone can provide a solution to this situation. My mother purchased a bath tub from B&Q in Limerick there in April and it was installed with no issues. A couple of weeks later, cracks developed in the base of the tub near the drain which resulted in some water damage to the room below. Nothing major but annoying none the less. My mother was in contact with B&Q and they agreed to replace the bath tub and fit it too.

However, here is where the problem begins. The person my mother was speaking to went on holidays, then on sick leave and now he has apparently left the company. All this time, my mother was chasing for the replacement and nothing happened. The store manager has now taken it upon himself to supply a replacement but he says that they will no longer fit it. Of course, all this was done over the phone and in person so we have nothing in writing apart from the receipt for the bath.

Where do we go from here? I find it hard to believe that a company would supply a faulty product and not also cover the associated costs with fitting it.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

benny194 wrote: »
    Hi guys,

I'm hoping someone can provide a solution to this situation. My mother purchased a bath tub from B&Q in Limerick there in April and it was installed with no issues. A couple of weeks later, cracks developed in the base of the tub near the drain which resulted in some water damage to the room below. Nothing major but annoying none the less. My mother was in contact with B&Q and they agreed to replace the bath tub and fit it too.

However, here is where the problem begins. The person my mother was speaking to went on holidays, then on sick leave and now he has apparently left the company. All this time, my mother was chasing for the replacement and nothing happened. The store manager has now taken it upon himself to supply a replacement but he says that they will no longer fit it. Of course, all this was done over the phone and in person so we have nothing in writing apart from the receipt for the bath.

Where do we go from here? I find it hard to believe that a company would supply a faulty product and not also cover the associated costs with fitting it.

Did they fit it in the first place? The vendor can offer the 3Rs but are not required to fit it if they did not fit/were not paid to fit it in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 benny194

davo10 wrote: »
    Did they fit it in the first place? The vendor can offer the 3Rs but are not required to fit it if they did not fit/were not paid to fit it in the first place.

No, they didn't fit it. It was a whole house refurbishment so a third party plumber installed it along with other jobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭Xterminator

Then i think they are being reasonable.

you purchased a product, you have complained it wasn't up to scratch and they have agreed to replace.

seems to me any SCC claim would fail as that is a reasonable offer.
    You can try writing a letter to B&Q head office looking for a gesture of goodwill?

Then i think they are being reasonable.

you purchased a product, you have complained it wasn't up to scratch and they have agreed to replace.

seems to me any SCC claim would fail as that is a reasonable offer.
    You can try writing a letter to B&Q head office looking for a gesture of goodwill?

Normally I'd agree but what riles me up was that they initially offered to fit the bath and then withdrew this offer with no explanation and no desire to discuss further. With nothing in writing though, I'd agree with you that I'd have little chance in succeeding in the small claims court.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭magentis

I would escalate it beyond the store manager if I were you op.Their defective product damaged your home.The very least they could do is fit the bath.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,626 ✭✭✭rock22

magentis wrote: »
    I would escalate it beyond the store manager if I were you op.Their defective product damaged your home.The very least they could do is fit the bath.

How do you know?
    It is just as likely that the bath was fitted incorrectly, resulting in a crack developing. The OP has said there were no issues when it was installed and problems only developed later. So the product may not have been faulty.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭JimsAlterEgo

cant see you having any luck bar goodwill, house insurance is the best route

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

...Their defective product damaged your home...

There is no evidence that the product was defective. The issue could have been caused by the third party who fitted the bath.

TBH, I think they're doing very well to offer a replacement bath, as they could contest the clam for the reason above. It all depends on you and how much you want to push their goodwill.

I've tried talking to customer services in the UK but they say that since they didn't fit the bath themselves, there's nothing they can do. They will not override the store manager's decision.

dudara wrote: »
    There is no evidence that the product was defective. The issue could have been caused by the third party who fitted the bath.

TBH, I think they're doing very well to offer a replacement bath, as they could contest the clam for the reason above. It all depends on you and how much you want to push their goodwill.

At this point, I'm inclined to agree. The store manager's attitude has been shockingly bad so goodwill would be in short supply I think. I suppose we'll just have to accept the replacement and fit it ourselves at extra cost.

Thanks everyone for your input. Much appreciated.

• Advertisement
Advertisement