Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dairy Farming Opportunities

Options
  • 21-06-2016 11:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 26

Hi all,

I am a farmers son from Wexford. We run a suckler to beef system and have some tillage. I am in my mid 20s, finally finishing up my education - I am hoping to get a job that I can have and farm on a part time basis also.

We try to do things as well as possible, and would be regarded as good farmers.

I am looking for an opportunity to get involved in a dairy/milking arrangement. That could include anything from an existing dairy farm looking for investment to improve profitability/efficiency to someone looking to move into dairy farming from a tillage or suckler background.

I would love to get in contact with anyone that would be interested in such a venture. Someone that would like fresh blood in the business, that would like to see the farm business move forward, someone that would like to step back, watch the business improve and expand but still have an input.

Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions of who, where or how to get these wheels in motion.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭pedigree 6

tatyoman wrote: »
    Hi all,

I am a farmers son from Wexford. We run a suckler to beef system and have some tillage. I am in my mid 20s, finally finishing up my education - I am hoping to get a job that I can have and farm on a part time basis also.

I am looking for an opportunity to get involved in a dairy/milking arrangement. That could include anything from an existing dairy farm looking for investment to improve profitability/efficiency to someone looking to move into dairy farming from a tillage or suckler background.

I would love to get in contact with anyone that would be interested in such a venture. Someone that would like fresh blood in the business, that would like to see the farm business move forward, someone that would like to step back, watch the business improve and expand but still have an input.

Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions of who, where or how to get these wheels in motion.

You might get someone from posting on here.
    But another man who might help would be Tim Morrissey in teagasc enniscorthy.
    I think he knows every farmer in the county.

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭yewtree

Hi all,

It's worth talking to land mobility service. I can't post link to website but should be easy find.

They have a page most weeks in the journal with farms looking to lease/partnerships/ share milking.

The idea is they act as an honest broker between land owner and young farmer. So a deal that works for both parties can be worked out.
    I have no direct experience with them just heard them talk at a few meetings

• Registered Users Posts: 26 tatyoman

Hi lads,

Thanks very much for the replies. I know actually know Tim, but I haven't approached him with the concept yet. I might drop him an email. But I would like to find out a bit more before I take the step of talking with him.

I have been keeping my eyes on the land mobility page in the Journal also, thanks for the mention.

I'm not wanting to pigeon hole myself to Wexford either. Carlow, Kilkenny, Waterford are all still good close options.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,497 ✭✭✭rangler1

Hi lads,

Thanks very much for the replies. I know actually know Tim, but I haven't approached him with the concept yet. I might drop him an email. But I would like to find out a bit more before I take the step of talking with him.

I have been keeping my eyes on the land mobility page in the Journal also, thanks for the mention.

I'm not wanting to pigeon hole myself to Wexford either. Carlow, Kilkenny, Waterford are all still good close options.

Former macra president, kieran O Dowd is heading the land mobility service, he seems to be good and a barrister as well, you should contact him, he might have something to suit

• Registered Users Posts: 26 tatyoman

Thanks very much. I've sent Kieran O'Dowd an email. I'll see if he replies and if he does I'll post what he advises.

• Advertisement
Advertisement