Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A universe full of dead aliens

Options
  • 21-06-2016 1:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭

Not much new here, but it's a relatively interesting high-level article with a good number of reference links:
    We’re Probably Living In A Universe Full Of Dead Aliens

The stand-out take for me is how the Gaia hypothesis might well out-weigh the Goldilocks zone theory:
    Planetary habitability is a property more associated with an unusually rapid evolution of biological regulation of surface volatiles than with the luminosity and distance to the host star

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭jcsoulinger

If an alien race had evolved to a level above us then why would they contact us? No good would come from it, I reckon our only chance of contact is with a race that are equally evolved and are also just sending out radio waves in a stab in the dark kind of way.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭hgfj

If an alien race had evolved to a level above us then why would they NOT contact us? They would have nothing to fear from us as they would be technologically superior to us. Also, what if we were the ONLY OTHER intelligent life-form they had come across? Surely curiosity alone would entail some kind of contact. Being more technologically advanced than us wouldn't mean they have nothing to learn from us.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

The problem with discussions that try to draw conclusions from the silence of the universe is that they lack sufficient information to draw those conclusions in the first place.

If I were stand in the middle of the sahara shouting "Hello?" over and over for my entire life, it's pretty likely that I would never see or hear from anyone. So I could conclude that everyone else is gone. On an astronomical scale I can move a centimetre or so in any direction to try and shout from there. I can also whip out a telescope, but I'm not going to be able to detect a human at 500km.

A passing satellite might spot me; but from its point of view I'm one of several billion and therefore not exactly remarkable and worthy of investigation.

When I get to the stage of launching my own satellites, then the US government might send someone out to find out WTF I'm doing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

seamus wrote: »
    not exactly remarkable and worthy of investigation.

Bit harsh on yourself there, Seamus.

“Even if life does emerge on a planet, it rarely evolves quickly enough to regulate greenhouse gases, and thereby keep surface temperatures compatible with liquid water and habitability,”

The above quote is taken from OP link about 5 or 6 paragraphs down. I'd be curious to know how many other planets life has emerged on to justify stating "it rarely evolves quick enough". So far as I know Earth is the only planet where any form of life has evolved that we know of. Do the authors know something the rest of us don't?

• Advertisement

hgfj wrote: »
    If an alien race had evolved to a level above us then why would they NOT contact us? They would have nothing to fear from us as they would be technologically superior to us. Also, what if we were the ONLY OTHER intelligent life-form they had come across? Surely curiosity alone would entail some kind of contact. Being more technologically advanced than us wouldn't mean they have nothing to learn from us.

If we discovered a race of monkeys on a planet in the next solar system over, what would we learn from them? our first concern would be not to do anything that would have any effect on there habitat, it could be we decide the best course of action is to observe them from afar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 642 ✭✭✭qrx

“Even if life does emerge on a planet, it rarely evolves quickly enough to regulate greenhouse gases, and thereby keep surface temperatures compatible with liquid water and habitability,”

The above quote is taken from OP link about 5 or 6 paragraphs down. I'd be curious to know how many other planets life has emerged on to justify stating "it rarely evolves quick enough". So far as I know Earth is the only planet where any form of life has evolved that we know of. Do the authors know something the rest of us don't?

Theoretical models and computations. Problem is their models are only as good as the data they put in. The question is, do we need more data to get a better and more accurate understanding or is the data good enough already?

Could very well be that the universe is teeming with life and they just don't know we are here. Maybe they use something other than radio waves? Maybe Jupiter is in the way and blocking their view? We could be the equivalent of an undiscovered amazon tribe.

Gwynston wrote: »
    The stand-out take for me is how the Gaia hypothesis might well out-weigh the Goldilocks zone theory:

Taken from the Wikipedia link within the article:
    the Gaia hypothesis continues to attract criticism, and today some scientists consider it to be only weakly supported by, or at odds with, the available evidence

qrx wrote: »
    Could very well be that the universe is teeming with life and they just don't know we are here. Maybe they use something other than radio waves? Maybe Jupiter is in the way and blocking their view? We could be the equivalent of an undiscovered amazon tribe.

Jupiter in the way? Only if it's constantly eclipsing us.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭PirateShampoo

That's assuming they view us as a Intelligent life form and not mearly as Monkeys using a rock to break open a nut.

If we discovered a race of monkeys on a planet in the next solar system over, what would we learn from them? our first concern would be not to do anything that would have any effect on there habitat, it could be we decide the best course of action is to observe them from afar.

I think we'd have a hard time trying to contact a race of monkeys, or any other unintelligent life form for that matter. What would even be the point? They would have nothing to tell us anymore than a monkey on Earth would. So yes , unintelligent life forms could simply be observed from afar but if the life form discovered was intelligent, albeit less technologically advanced, then at least we could communicate with them.

I think we'd have a hard time trying to contact a race of monkeys, or any other unintelligent life form for that matter. What would even be the point? They would have nothing to tell us anymore than a monkey on Earth would. So yes , unintelligent life forms could simply be observed from afar but if the life form discovered was intelligent, albeit less technologically advanced, then at least we could communicate with them.

We are not far above monkeys on the evolutionary path yet we are completely dismissive of them, if this being is even slightly more evolved it will more than lightly see us in the same way.

It may also realise that any contact could have potential risks to our development so why risk it when they have nothing to gain anyway, As I said before there first concern would probably be our preservation.

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Gwynston

the Gaia hypothesis continues to attract criticism, and today some scientists consider it to be only weakly supported by, or at odds with, the available evidence

Fair enough, but it's not much worse than the Goldilocks theory IMO.

Just look at Mars and Venus in our own Goldilocks zone (or close, anyway). They're good examples of how many different factors drive a planet's chaotic path away from habitability (as we know it).

And with serious consideration being given to the potential for life on moons around Jupiter and Saturn, we can see that there are other possible mechanisms that lead towards habitability.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

We'd have to discover and observe them first in order to be able to answer that question...

I would say we are tens of thousands of years ahead of monkeys on the evolutionary path. There may not be a huge difference DNA wise but when it comes to intelligence and self-awareness there is little comparison. Our brains have evolved far beyond any other living creature on this planet in terms of intelligence and self-awareness. Yet there is no reason to assume that intelligent aliens are MORE intelligent than us just because they may be more technologically advanced. They may be more knowledgeable and have discovered things that we haven't discovered yet, but then are we more intelligent than our ancestors from just 100 years ago simply because our society is more advanced than back then? I reckon Newton or Galileo would disagree.

Tens of thousands of years is nothing in an evolutionary sense.

In my original post I said that if they were on a similar level of evolution then they would try and make contact.

In the article it assumed that had we been discovered by an et race they would make contact, I am only suggesting the reasons why they might choose to not make contact.

Another reason is if they had discovered us they would first observe us, It would not take them long to conclude we as a race are not ready to be contacted.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

"Similar level of evolution" is something of a misnomer. There are no "levels" of evolution, nothing is "more evolved" than anything else.

Evolution doesn't have a set path that it follows where it is trying to achieve peak intelligence. Intelligence is an emergent property of evolution under certain conditions.

My point is that while we see a gulf of a world between ourselves and a chimpanzee, in real terms we are closer to chimps in evolutionary terms than chimps are to Orangutans.

Yet we would tend to place them both into the "monkeys" bucket because they have similar behaviours. Climbing trees and using simple tools - old hat, fairly primitive, a curiosity.

For aliens with the capability to travel between worlds and carry out surveillance, the existence of a species who has developed agriculture, electricity and basic machinery may similarly be quite unremarkable. Such species might be everywhere; old hat, fairly primitive, a curiosity.

Why would they go out of their way to make contact?

For the same reason we humans go out of our way to observe and make contact with gorillas in the remote mountains of Rwanda.

If tomorrow a rover on Mars suddenly detected trace signs of life in ice under rock, do you think we wouldn't immediately invest vast sums to launch new exploratory missions to find out all we could about it?

Just because life on another planet is more primitive than us, it doesn't mean we wouldn't want to investigate....

Gwynston wrote: »
    For the same reason we humans go out of our way to observe and make contact with gorillas in the remote mountains of Rwanda.

If tomorrow a rover on Mars suddenly detected trace signs of life in ice under rock, do you think we wouldn't immediately invest vast sums to launch new exploratory missions to find out all we could about it?

Just because life on another planet is more primitive than us, it doesn't mean we wouldn't want to investigate....

No one is saying they wouldn't investigate, it's making contact that's the issue

• Advertisement

Such species might indeed be everywhere. On the other hand they might not. And if not, then if an intelligent species discovered another intelligent species, regardless of their technological capabilities, and if that was the only other alien intelligence they had ever come across, then why not? They may be just as interested in our philosophical outlook on life, the universe and everything as they might be in anything else. They may actually want to get to know us. They may decide they want to help us advance. No doubt they would spend time observing us for a period but eventually if they felt safe enough and were not afraid of us I don't see why they wouldn't want to contact us.

Exactly what I was thinking, hgfj.

Just like Europeans sought to explore new lands and make contact with "more primitive" natives.

Not that that worked out especially well for the natives, mind... :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

For aliens with the capability to travel between worlds and carry out surveillance, the existence of a species who has developed agriculture, electricity and basic machinery may similarly be quite unremarkable. Such species might be everywhere; old hat, fairly primitive, a curiosity.

I see two possible reasons straight off the bat. Firstly, the great apes don't appear to simply be further behind us on the technological tree - they appear to be completely incapable of ever developing language and technology like ours; at least without eventually evolving into something else entirely. We can't, for example, take a chimpanzee from birth and teach it to be as clever as a human, whereas we could do that if we snatched some humans from the neolithic period.

The point being that if we suppose that humans are capable of one day travelling between the stars then the gulf between such a species and ours may only be one of knowledge, rather than intelligence. That would be quite a different thing than the gulf between ourselves and the great apes. Yet even so, we (as a species) do find the great apes interesting. We do study them and try to communicate with them and teach them language and tool use, for example. Their lesser intelligence doesn't negate our curiosity.

The second problem is that it seems a massive leap to assume that if a more advanced species exists and is roaming the stars, then creatures at our level of advancement must be common, unremarkable, and old hat. Even if we suppose that the evolution of intelligent species was surprisingly common, perhaps we are one of the few who make it this far without wiping themselves out after the discovery of nuclear weapons, for example. Or perhaps we are on the cusp of some even greater discovery that will almost surely wipe us out as it does most other intelligent species.

We might be incredibly rare and interesting, we might be relatively common yet still interesting due to some small unique trait or development, or we might even be completely alone.

It seems to me just as fallacious to assume that they would not attempt contact, as it is to assume that they would. We simply don't know.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭user1842

I really think the issue is "time". The chances that an alien civilisation exists at the same time as us is negligible. Our intelligence exists in an infinitesimal small time period in relation to the age of the universe. Civilisation does not exist forever and probably many civilisations have started and died even before the Earth was created and probably many will start and die after the Earth is consumed by our star.

Aliens may have visited Earth but humans did not exist at the time and may visit in the future when everyone is dead.

The chance that they visit us our we visit them when we both exist at the same time in the age of the universe is tiny.

And by the same time I mean give or take a couple of 10 thousand years.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,660 ✭✭✭storker

user1842 wrote: »
    Aliens may have visited Earth but humans did not exist at the time and may visit in the future when everyone is dead.

Imagine an alien exploration mission landing on earth long after humans have gone, perhaps even after all life has gone, and all trace of us vanished. They look around, take some samples, do some analysis and conclude, "Nope, nothing here...dead planet..." and off they go, oblivious to the amazing story that had played itself out long before they arrived...

We don't know and this probably won't change in our life time.

The Ops article suggests that there isnt a more intelligent life form in the universe than us as they would have made contact already.

Imo it is reasonable to assume that a more intelligent et race would choose not to make contact,

That kind of assumes species don't get much more advanced than us before dying out.

But the romantic argument against that is that if species get to a higher level capable of travelling around the galaxy, they'll also be capable of surviving much longer than a few thousand years. They won't be constrained by the limited resources of their original home.

That's why the length of time a species lasts is a fundamental part of the Drake equation, and is crucial to indicating if we are likely to encounter intelligent aliens during our existence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

Loads of folk assuming to know what advanced aliens would think. I'd take the more humble road, personally, and claim not to know what a more advanced being would think.

Saipanne wrote: »
    Loads of folk assuming to know what advanced aliens would think. I'd take the more humble road, personally, and claim not to know what a more advanced being would think.

Lol no one here is saying they know what aliens think, we are all just speculating, nothing to do with being humble.

• Advertisement

Personally, I love the idea of an advanced alien civilisation zipping about the universe at warp speed in and out of wormholes exploring new planets and whatnot, and all the while scratching their heads saying, "Okay, we know this and we know that, we understand this and we understand that but what does it all mean?"

Advertisement