Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on making a stool

Options
  • 21-06-2016 1:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭

I rescued a piece of wood from the fire pile and am attempting to make a stool. Any advice on how to attach legs or a base. Just have basic skills and this is my first attempt at this. Going for the rustic look.

wXYWUg.jpg

yqLb6r.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

mhairt wrote: »
    I rescued a piece of wood from the fire pile and am attempting to make a stool. Any advice on how to attach legs or a base. Just have basic skills and this is my first attempt at this. Going for the rustic look.

Google, "rustic stool bodging" for some good information on that type of work

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭The Sidewards Man

Googling stool could yield adverse results.

• Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭timfromtang

mhairt wrote: »

wXYWUg.jpg

yqLb6r.jpg
    bore 3 angled holes say 40mm dia or so, and hammer in 3 40mm round legs from the bottom?
    tim

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

Its an endgrain block and liable to split anytime. I wouldn't consider it safe to be honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭Miname

As recipio said it'll be going into end grain, I'd recommend a sub frame under it with the legs attached to that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭timfromtang

recipio wrote: »
    Its an endgrain block and liable to split anytime. I wouldn't consider it safe to be honest.

Thanks for pointing out that potential flaw in my suggestion.

an alternative solution for legs?

an approach using holes closer to the centre of the piece and steeply angled legs?

an extra piece glued onto the underside to strengthen it where it is bored for the legs?

another solution?

to find a potential flaw is easy, tis all in the execution,

tim

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

Nice iron legs maybe

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

Thanks for pointing out that potential flaw in my suggestion.

an alternative solution for legs?

an approach using holes closer to the centre of the piece and steeply angled legs?

an extra piece glued onto the underside to strengthen it where it is bored for the legs?

another solution?

to find a potential flaw is easy, tis all in the execution,

tim

Are you going to turn/shape the legs yourself ? Seasoned chairmakers tend to stand a bevel gauge on the seat and use the angle to drill by eye. Being an endgrain piece it will distort and possibly split when indoors for a few months. As its a rustic piece absolute accuracy is not needed anyway. You could screw some 19mm plywood to the base and attach the legs to that although you should make slots for the screwheads to allow them to move.

Advertisement