Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Offer Dilemma

Options
  • 21-06-2016 2:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

This is a good problem to have I suppose.

After 10 years working in the same company (automotive trade) I decided that I would do up my CV and look for a new challenge. (Company is currently going through a bad patch which was also a motivator)

Applied for a couple of jobs and heard back from one. I went through the interview process and was offered the job, however the wages on offer weren't great. About 10% less than I I currently earn but I verbally accepted nonetheless.

When I got around to handing in my notice I was offered a 15% wage increase to stay in my current role, an offer I felt I couldn't refuse so I accepted it. I then informed the new company that I wouldn't be signing a contract with them and would be staying with my current company. They were disappointed but accepted my decision.

I thought that was it done and dusted but now the new company ring two days later saying how they can't compete with the wages I've been offered but see me as a really good fit in the company and see me progressing very quickly.

Now my head is all over the place and I don't know what to do!

Any advice is appreciated!

D

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,316 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

There was a reason you were leaving in the first place; that reason has not gone away even with a 15% salary increase. In general if you're set to leave but take the offer to stay in most cases you'll be gone in a year anyway so if you like the other company see what they can do on the salary, about progression, perhaps offer more holidays rather than money etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

^^
    As Nody says.

People very rarely leave jobs they're happy with for a payrise of less than 30%. There's a reason you were leaving, and it wasn't money. More money won't make this reason go away.

Skeptically, your current employer knows this. They're not giving you 15% to stay, they're buying themselves more time while they sort out how to replace you. They're expecting you to leave in the next 12 months and if you don't things might actually get a bit strained as they subtley train up someone else to do your job.

If you don't really want the new job, and it just happened to be the first one you were offered, then maybe let it go. In 3 months' time stick your CV out there again with the confidence this time that you are good enough to land something else.

If you think this other job is a really good move for your career and your sanity, you'd be silly to ignore that.

People waving money in your face is about the easiest way to get distracted. I have a personal rule where I don't get into that stuff unless the old employer comes back with something ludicrous like 50%+. I just hand in my notice and tell them it's signed and sealed; don't even bother with a counter-offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I am being blinded slightly by the offer of a salary increase.

The new job offer is a step in the right direction with a great company.

The fact that I turned them down and they rang me 3 days later again to try and persuade me to change my mind says a lot in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭ForestFire

I think A lot depends on the type of job you do and the company you are in.

I know plenty of people that have remained in companies for years after accepting an improved offer after handing in notice.

-You are now looking at a 25% difference between jobs
    -Your current company is willing to offer you more money to keep you (Invest in you/ Or time to replace is not known)
    -Your new company will not budge on there offer, put see you progressing quickly; if they can't offer you more now will they offer much during this progression??
    -You have 10 years redundancy protection in your current job
    -Your new job can let you go for any reason in the next 6 months

Do you think your company is genuine and you can continue to work there with good relationship?

Unless there is a major differences in the new company (potential) or your really looking to move on, I know what I would be doing

• Registered Users Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Irish_Elect_Eng

I am being blinded slightly by the offer of a salary increase.

The new job offer is a step in the right direction with a great company.

The fact that I turned them down and they rang me 3 days later again to try and persuade me to change my mind says a lot in my opinion.

The pay rise from your original employer is flattering just now, but ask yourself this, where was this pay rise at your last review and when it comes around to pay rises next year, you will probably not get one, because of this adjustment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Irish_Elect_Eng

ForestFire wrote: »
    I think A lot depends on the type of job you do and the company you are in.

I know plenty of people that have remained in companies for years after accepting an improved offer after handing in notice.

-You are now looking at a 25% difference between jobs
    -Your current company is willing to offer you more money to keep you (Invest in you/ Or time to replace is not known)
    -Your new company will not budge on there offer, put see you progressing quickly; if they can't offer you more now will they offer much during this progression??
    -You have 10 years redundancy protection in your current job
    -Your new job can let you go for any reason in the next 6 months

Do you think your company is genuine and you can continue to work there with good relationship?

Unless there is a major differences in the new company (potential) or your really looking to move on, I know what I would be doing

You make some good points.

But the fact is that by most >80% or so of folks that hand in their notice to leave and accept a retention offer are gone within 12 months anyway. The reasons for putting your CV out there in the first place generally are not resolves by a simple pay rise.

Without special cause, people usually leave managers, not jobs.

In terms of the new company not budging, it is work discussing this with them, ask them to get specific about possible progression and ask them why they cannot at least match your old rate. It could be the band for the position or some other admin reason. Speak with them before deciding. You are in a strong position, use it to your advantage.

(Note that they would be wary of matching the new offer in case your are playing the two companies against each other.)

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

The new company won't match the salary as it's above the band for the position, which I understand.

It was a long winded interview process for the new company too, 5 interviews in total, so there may be an element of them not wanting to repeat this process with another candidate.

I agree with you on where way the pay rise before this, however asking for a pay rise is something I never felt comfortable doing.

Thanks for the feedback folks!

Advertisement