Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How does the funding system in the GAA work?

Options
  • 21-06-2016 2:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 32

What format is used? People are quick to assume that Dublin got favours from the GAA but surely the strong teams like Dublin, Kilkenny, Tipperary get money evenly based on their gate reciepts etc? I dont know but we hear too much of the likes of Laois , Carlow and Offaly etc saying the GAA dont give them enough but what good is getting a grant from the GAA,setting up a coaching system and having Mick from up the road who scored 1-3 in a county final in 1982 coach a bunch of hungry kids to play ground hurling and ''Let fly'' instead of getting top coaches and ex players from counties that have seen success in recent years, guys like Tommy Dunne, Donal Og who is involved with the Clare Setup, Eoin Kelly, Tommy Walsh etc?

What im saying obviously isnt an ingredient for success and the Counties I mentioned are only used as part of an example, I am not knocking the support and passion shown by the people who have followed their respective county up and down the country in bad times and good for the love of the game
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

Think communisim, and then come up with an even more complicated system

• Registered Users Posts: 32 tcrilly52

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    Think communisim, and then come up with an even more complicated system

So on paper it looks grand and in practice its a car crash?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,549 ✭✭✭blue note

tcrilly52 wrote: »
    How does the funding system in the GAA work?

It goes to Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

blue note wrote: »
    It goes to Dublin

There was a thread on this where it was shown that Dublin get same per capita funding as Leitrim, proportionate to population. Leitrim get enough to employ a coach, not sure if they do. Its population is equivalent to the catchment area of a few big clubs in Dublin who have a coach.

Cork actually got biggest amount from CP last year because they have biggest playing numbers.

A lot of the controversy is about games development funding. Again, Dublin get more than all the other Leinster counties, again there is the population factor, but counties can also avail of Leinster Council coaching funds and LC coaches.

It is also a fact that some counties have misused central funds rather than use them for coaching. Sponsorship also comes into play but should Dublin or Cork have to hand over some of their sponsorship money which is used to support big playing numbers?

Perhaps. Not sure how that would go down with the sponsors. I suppose they wouldn't care if they get some mention.

Having said that, there is a case to be made for weak counties to be given special aid.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,141 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

Bonniedog wrote: »
    There was a thread on this where it was shown that Dublin get same per capita funding as Leitrim, proportionate to population. Leitrim get enough to employ a coach, not sure if they do. Its population is equivalent to the catchment area of a few big clubs in Dublin who have a coach.

Cork actually got biggest amount from CP last year because they have biggest playing numbers.

A lot of the controversy is about games development funding. Again, Dublin get more than all the other Leinster counties, again there is the population factor, but counties can also avail of Leinster Council coaching funds and LC coaches.

It is also a fact that some counties have misused central funds rather than use them for coaching. Sponsorship also comes into play but should Dublin or Cork have to hand over some of their sponsorship money which is used to support big playing numbers?

Perhaps. Not sure how that would go down with the sponsors. I suppose they wouldn't care if they get some mention.

Having said that, there is a case to be made for weak counties to be given special aid.

By stating the above, all this thread will do is start another Dublin bashing thread.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/capital-gain-from-coaching-fund-faces-review-34419282.html
    By comparison to most other counties, even on a per capita basis, Dublin appear to be funded much more generously.

I'd like to see where your figures are that other counties get the same as Dublin. Or that Cork got more, when they clearly didnt!

Counties cant misuse central funds on coaching. The coaches are paid directly by the provincial bodies. They can obviously make poor choices on their own funds or other means of money they have available, but to say "they can avail" of coaching funds, its not like they chose whether or not to go for it, its a provincial based system.

• Advertisement

Dublin got 7.3 times as much GAA funding as Louth. 1.46 million compared to 200,000.

Population of Dublin in 2011 was 1,273,040 in 2011. Population of Louth was 122,897.

Dublin's population is 10.35 times Louth.

Dublin is therefore under funded compared to Louth :-)

I could provide same comparisons for other counties but we be here all night!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,101 ✭✭✭klairondavis

Bonniedog wrote: »
    There was a thread on this where it was shown that Dublin get same per capita funding as Leitrim, proportionate to population.

This article says otherwise:
    "Per capita that means that Dublin get more than a euro whereas Meath and Kildare are on 24 cent and 20 cent."

http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/gaelic-games/unease-as-dublin-s-blue-wave-threatens-to-engulf-gaa-1.2519956

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

Lovely more Dublin funding chat. It was a joke Bonniedog.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

blue note wrote: »
    It goes to Dublin

Jim Gavin Sleeps on a bed of fiver's that culchie under 15 teams raised. He reckons you get used to the bang after a while.

corny wrote: »
    Lovely more Dublin funding chat. It was a joke Bonniedog.

Merely responding in kind old bean!

The figures regarding the proportionate pay outs from games development is accurate and was mentioned before in another thread, which included a link to an Irish Times article.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Bambi wrote: »
    Jim Gavin Sleeps on a bed of fiver's that culchie under 15 teams raised. He reckons you get used to the bang after a while.

We also grind up the hopes and dreams of the other 11 Leinster counties, add in 2 bottles of Berno's hair gel, 4 lbs of Superquinn sausages, the eye lids of 7 lily livered toads and we turn them into gold coins. We do this in an underground bunker off the LongMile Road. Any unused sausages are sent over to the assembly line, where the hurlers are manufactured.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 tcrilly52

Its not a Dublin Bashing thread but what does it take to grab kids at u12 level and train them up with no fear or belief.. e.g say Laois for Example were playing Kilkenny in the Leinster Championship Semi final underage at whatever respective Level under minor, what does it take to get into the kids heads that says ''Im wearing my countys jersy, I want to go on an beat Kilkenny or Tipperary in the All Ireland final and I will because we are Laois, Or Carlow kids Playing Dublin etc, the list goes on

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,141 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

tcrilly52 wrote: »
    Its not a Dublin Bashing thread but what does it take to grab kids at u12 level and train them up with no fear or belief.. e.g say Laois for Example were playing Kilkenny in the Leinster Championship Semi final underage at whatever respective Level under minor, what does it take to get into the kids heads that says ''Im wearing my countys jersy, I want to go on an beat Kilkenny or Tipperary in the All Ireland final and I will because we are Laois, Or Carlow kids Playing Dublin etc, the list goes on

I don't believe you intended it to be a Dublin bashing thread, but it's a common theme on here that fund allocation is a divisive issue.

With regards to your theory about kids wanting to beat Tipp or Kilkenny, it's not quite as simple as that. Desire doesn't compensate for skill. You get skilful by quality training. Having money to spend on quality coaches and training camps all helps. Even having lots of gear and incentives encourages kids to focus more on whatever sportstats they chose. It's a simple case that more funds helps that situation.

Advertisement