Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Liveline gold - Favourite Liveline topics ever

Options
  • 21-06-2016 3:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭Amberjack

Following on from the Liveline thread, I'm just wondering what your favourite ones from all the years are as there have been some crackers.

My favourite was Dec 09 or 10 (can't exactly remember) when they had the Rubberbandits and Willy O Dea on and Joe was talking about twenty cent (mixing him up with fifty cent)
    Closely followed by the editor of the Catholic newspaper and the articles on masterbation a few weeks ago.

I'm sure there's loads more I've missed

Comments

Whatever happened to the young guy called Joseph who slept rough in the grounds of RTE? Was there ever a follow-up?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,561 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

a best of liveline website be great - when i mean of, i mean it goes spectacularly wrong for Joe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,793 ✭✭✭Red Kev

Shane..Shane..Shane O'Curry in Stoneybatter.

Real accents...

^^I hadn't heard that Shane O'Curry call before.

I have zero sympathy for Eirigi as a "political organisation" (bunch of thugs), but well done to that man for being so articulate & coherent.

Duffy, on the other hand, was anything but professional. I know, I know... most of us would have a hard time being subjected to public criticism, but that's why we don't have a show on the national broadcaster, with the financial remuneration it entails.

Duffy & al often dismiss anonymous online criticisms, and often they are justified in so doing. Twitter, and sometimes boards, can be vicious.

However, here was a man willing to go on live radio and put a name to his voice, and stand up to what he saw as an abuse of media by Duffy, and Duffy was totally unable to deal with it. It isn't difficult to beat a member of Eirigi in a debate, but Duffy took it so personally he came off far worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,750 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Michael O' Leary and his taxi plate.

He ran rings around some union guy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26 comegowithme

Bono's cock!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,930 ✭✭✭PeterTheEighth

I remember being in tears at one this year, literally crying at my desk laughing. Wonder what one it was?

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭Amberjack

Just updating this as there's been some gems over the last few weeks - Brazilian police interview, the guy from the women's clinic on Berkeley Rd, Sean & Seamus and the direct provision service debate to name but a few.
    While I don't always post on the Liveline thread, I'm listening most days :)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,598 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I remember being in tears at one this year, literally crying at my desk laughing. Wonder what one it was?

Could have been one of many in fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,272 ✭✭✭Dick phelan

Remember there being about spunout and some article about threesomes which was pretty funny.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭mrsdewinter

My own favourite from recent months was 'Michael Collins's blanket'. I didn't hear the original call, which I think dealt with the theft of a replica of the blanket Michael Collins had wrapped around his knees when he was shot dead, but the spat between a museum official and some other guy over the fate of the original artefact was hilarious...

Been away for the last week, so wondering if i missed any Liveline Gold?

• Registered Users Posts: 82,560 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Amberjack wrote: »
    Been away for the last week, so wondering if i missed any Liveline Gold?

Soundcloud has a nice library of oldies so to speak https://soundcloud.com/search?q=rte%20liveline

Last week has been fairly rubbish, my personal favourites of the last month or so are...

The Refugee topic, he talks to a lad who claimed almost all were fraudulant claims...
    https://soundcloud.com/nuala201/sean-deegan-explains-to-joe-duffy-why-he-rejected-498-out-of-500-asylum-claims

On the same topic a councillor from Monaghan calls in and Joe throws a strope fest, 6mins 20secs in is the peak so to speak...
    https://soundcloud.com/nuala201/cllr-seamus-treanor-accuses-joe-duffy-and-rte-of-bias

the woman who was staying in a hotel and heard another woman being beaten by her partner in the next room. did she ring the guards? did she even go down to hotel reception to report it? not at all, she went home and rang Joe and told HIM about it, and she finished up the call reading out a little poem she wrote about the poor lady.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,020 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

Shag a Ginger night in a nightclub in Donegal. The local Parish Priest rang in to give out about it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Thanks guys, sounds like I didn't miss much and I see Philip is in today, so Joe must be off on more jollies. I heard the Sean Deegan one alright and the Monaghan councillor

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

the mother with an army of kids who couldn't get a bag of coal up the stairs

the comment "well you should have kept your legs closed" from one Dublin caller was one of the funniest things i have heard on the show

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

The male stripper who talked to Damien in May 2016
    Renoir Taha is a male stripper who was attacked at the weekend, he gave an insight into his work.

oh and Dr Omar Hassan..he who was struck off

Oh yeah, they were good ones Snubbleste, yesterday's one was pretty good too, with the crazy Yank who was paying someone (even crazier imo) to mind her kids for $128 for 2 weeks while she came here and then missed her flight a month ago and has been living in a tent since then

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭gluppers

Anything to do with the Alive magazine brigade

Although that can be very infuriating

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭Jan_de_Bakker

A few years back some caterer didn't turn up for a communion, the parents called Joe and were upset, the caterer called to defend himself - his defence ? - he got a call saying if he turned up to the event he would be beaten up so stay the f*ck away!

It was ridiculous and he kept digging and digging ... and digging even after it was shown he was lying his arse off ... classic stuff.

oh yeah and the Nigerian embassy ..

• Registered Users Posts: 8,431 ✭✭✭cml387

There was a prgram airing complaints about a medium who had an event in a sports complex.Last year I think.
    The medium herself came on and,shall we say, did herself no favours.

A fascinating (and scary) insight into an area of life I knew nothing about.

Was that the one who was caught with a prompter in the back feeding her info via a wireless mic/earpiece ?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,431 ✭✭✭cml387

No I think it was the one where the medium said that a particular person needn't bother continuing her cancer treatment becasue her cancer was gone.
    This proved to be unwise advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,879 ✭✭✭signostic

a Hot day in Knock.....

balls and arse...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

signostic wrote: »
    a Hot day in Knock.....

balls and arse...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_PX7FSaBZW8

and not a piebald pony in sight!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Dublin guy ringing from a resort in Tunisia after the terrorist attacks on the beach there. At one stage wanted the Irish navy to come get him.

"Two people in the pool today Joe"

signostic wrote: »
    a Hot day in Knock.....

balls and arse...

:D:D:D !!!

He actually said BALLS & ARSE!!!!

• Advertisement

Whatever happened to the young guy called Joseph who slept rough in the grounds of RTE? Was there ever a follow-up?
    I hate to pull a Joe and reference myself, but does anyone know the answer to this?

In fairness to the Liveline team*, this was one of the few pieces of their broadcasting that cast RTÉ in a poor light, and I wonder about this guy whenever I pass Montrose. Anyone know if there ever was a follow-up? Sounded like a very genuine, hard case.

*I'm talking about the producers. Joe was condescending as f*ck, warning that if Joseph had a criminal record, he'd soon find out about it.

Advertisement