Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Building a PC for Video and Photo Editing

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Dinarius wrote: »
    Thanks for the advice.

No issue with budget - within reason - this is a total tax right-off. So, any further suggestions, I'm all ears!

Thanks again.

D.
    EVGA SuperNova G2 on AmazonUK is a steal for one of the best PSUs you can buy right now.

Also, you could swap the Xeon + X150 for an i7-6700 (same performance) or 6700k (superior performance) on a Z170 motherboard.

Also also, I keep forgetting that the Hitachi drives are expensive AF; feel free to drop down to a WD drive (different colours explained).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Dinarius

Thanks again.

Two things I use a lot are the front USB ports on my existing DELL tower - iPhone, iPod, camera card reader, portable HD etc...etc...

Will the above setup have front USBs?

Thanks.

D.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭SterlingArcher

Thanks again.

Two things I use a lot are the front USB ports on my existing DELL tower - iPhone, iPod, camera card reader, portable HD etc...etc...

Will the above setup have front USBs?

Thanks.

D.

Far as I can see 4 front usbs.

Hi guys,

I'm back.

Due to family illness, I haven't been able to address this issue. I can now.

1. Would someone be so kind as to update the spec for me..?
    2. For argument's sake, if you had €500 extra to spend, would you change anything?
    3. While I mentioned video in the thread header, we haven't discussed it. I'm assuming that any spec recommended is OK for video?

Thanks all for you patience and input.

D.

I've bought a laptop from this crowd in the past and found them excellent.

Interesting to compare.

D.

• Advertisement

For the hell of it, just put this build together.

Including VAT (I think!) which I can reclaim, it comes in under €1000.

Given how Sterling has tanked since I started this thread, it is well within my budget.

Any comments appreciated.

Thanks.

D.

Ps. I couldn't see 2TB Seagate drives. But, at that price, I'm happy with the extra 1TB. It would be good to have 2 x 3TB.

Have a read of this article:
    http://www.logicalincrements.com/articles/videoediting

I'd recommend to change to Z170 motherboard (for overclocking the CPU) and a Gold-rated PSU (specifically EVGA Supernova G2)

Kiki,

Thanks as always for the feedback.........

Here's what I did.

As per you recommendation, PSU and Motherboard are changed - I think for what you recommended.

Also, I had a look at your video editing link. How close am I to his $2000 build found on this page?

Finally, I changed the tower case I had chosen earlier for the Phanteks case (again, I think it's the right one) that he chose for his $1200 video build. I like the look of it! :p

One last thing; all prices seem to be inclusive of VAT. Does anyone have any experience of buying from abroad this way? If I give my VAT number, can I avoid paying VAT at the point of purchase?

Thanks again.

D.

This RAM is better value
    https://de.pcpartpicker.com/product/bj2rxr/gskill-memory-f42400c15d32gvr

Faster (DDR4-2400) and cheaper.

The $2000 rig is using a 6-core/12-thread i7-6800k, which (along with an X99 motherboard + CPU cooler) would add €180 to the base cost.

regarding VAT, found this old thread:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=229200

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    This RAM is better value
    https://de.pcpartpicker.com/product/bj2rxr/gskill-memory-f42400c15d32gvr

Faster (DDR4-2400) and cheaper.

The $2000 rig is using a 6-core/12-thread i7-6800k, which (along with an X99 motherboard + CPU cooler) would add €180 to the base cost.

regarding VAT, found this old thread:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=229200

Kiki,

Thanks.

Understood re the VAT.

When I choose a couple of components that have no price next to them - in my case the PSU and the Optical Drive, what happens then?

Thanks.

D.

Ps. I can't see a 6800k listed.

• Advertisement

Kiki,

Thanks.

Understood re the VAT.

When I choose a couple of components that have no price next to them - in my case the PSU and the Optical Drive, what happens then?

Thanks.

D.

Ps. I can't see a 6800k listed.
    PC Partpicker sometimes can't get the current prices because of stock issues or various other reasons; just click on the item & it should give you a link to the shop where (hopefully) there is a price.

re: 6800k, you're probably not seeing it because you have compatibility filter ticked.
    Note that the i7-6800k needs a LGA-2011-3 socket/ X99 chipset motherboard.

Kiki,

Thanks again.

After some research, I'm going for the 6700K.

Meanwhile, I like this step-by-step guide.

D.

Taking on board a few caveats about wattage and graphics, I've made a few changes.

Here is the new spec.... (yes, I know it's more expensive, but net of VAT it will cost me about €1300, for an awful lot of computer)

https://de.pcpartpicker.com/user/Dinarius/saved/#view=wKkdCJ

The graphics choice was based on test from http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/best-workstation-graphics-card,3493-30.html a site that is well regarded in the photography game.

Any feedback appreciated, as always.

Thanks.

D.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

1000w is over twice what you need

Taking on board a few caveats about wattage and graphics, I've made a few changes.

Here is the new spec.... (yes, I know it's more expensive, but net of VAT it will cost me about €1300, for an awful lot of computer)

https://de.pcpartpicker.com/user/Dinarius/saved/#view=wKkdCJ

The graphics choice was based on test from http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/best-workstation-graphics-card,3493-30.html a site that is well regarded in the photography game.

Any feedback appreciated, as always.

Thanks.

D.
    I'm not sure if you're just trolling us now...

Anyway, build is utter crap.

AMD HD 7970 is a 5 year old card which will be bested by pretty much any new GPU >€100.

1000W PSU is overkill and will actually be less efficient overall.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

K.O.Kiki wrote: »

AMD HD 7970 is a 5 year old card which will be bested by pretty much any new GPU >€100.

Yeah stupid in this context and buying new, but the hd7970 is still a decent card at 1080p, its mental they are going for less than €90-100 second hand. It easily out performs 750ti and the rx460, if they are the cards you are talking about in the €100+ price range.

Lu Tze wrote: »
    Yeah stupid in this context and buying new, but the hd7970 is still a decent card at 1080p, its mental they are going for less than €90-100 second hand. It easily out performs 750ti and the rx460, if they are the cards you are talking about in the €100+ price range.
    I will rein in my hyperbole:
    http://www.futuremark.com/hardware/gpu
    (also I was thinking of the 7950, which beats RX460/750Ti but is outclassed by GTX 960)

As it stands though, buying a HD 7970 is ludicrous when you consider that it eats >200W at load.
    RX 470/RX 480 is what you would want for that price.

Thanks for the feedback.

After looking at HD tests here> https://www.backblaze.com/blog/hard-drive-reliability-stats-q1-2016/

and graphics card tests here> http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/high_end_gpus.html

I've made a few more changes.

I've also downrated the PSU.

New spec is here> https://de.pcpartpicker.com/user/Dinarius/saved/#view=ZY8YJx

Thanks.

D.

Kiki,

I would have thought that "hyperbole" was part and parcel of any thread debate? :)

Anyway, needless to say, I have put the question to a few anoraks in my game also, and you can read their replies here and here.

My most recent build edit is here.

As always, feedback appreciated.

I'm looking for closure on this in the next few days.

Many thanks.

D.

[...]

My most recent build edit is here.

As always, feedback appreciated.

I'm looking for closure on this in the next few days.

Many thanks.

D.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor (€339.65 @ Amazon Deutschland)
    CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler (€36.44 @ Amazon Deutschland)
    Motherboard: MSI Z170A GAMING M5 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard (€142.45 @ Amazon Deutschland)
    Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4-3200 Memory (€183.99 @ Mindfactory)
    Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (€162.84 @ Mindfactory)
    Storage: Seagate Desktop HDD 4TB 3.5" 5900RPM Internal Hard Drive (€128.99 @ Mindfactory)
    Storage: Seagate Desktop HDD 4TB 3.5" 5900RPM Internal Hard Drive (€128.99 @ Mindfactory)
    Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1060 6GB 6GB WINDFORCE OC 6G Video Card (€276.87 @ Mindfactory)
    Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro ATX Full Tower Case (€107.83 @ Amazon Deutschland)
    Power Supply: XFX XTR 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply (€116.48 @ Mindfactory)
    Optical Drive: Pioneer BDR-209DBK Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer (€70.40 @ Amazon Deutschland)
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit
    Total: €1694.93
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-10-23 17:57 CEST+0200

CPU: LOCKED
    Cooler: LOCKED
    Motherboard: LOCKED
    RAM: LOCKED
    Storage: LOCKED
    GPU: Upgraded to GTX 1060 6Gb
    Case: LOCKED
    PSU: Changed to XFX XTR 750W (full load: 360/750W = 48%)
    Optical Drive: Changed to Pioneer (faster BD Write speed)

• Advertisement

Kiki,

I am extremely grateful. Thank you.

I read your comment elsewhere re the Black Friday sale on November 25th. So, I will probably sit tight until then.

Two further questions..........

1. As I posted on the other threads....any views on the case? I'm guessing not, since you've locked it. But, I'll ask anyway. :)

2. If I chose to at a later stage, can I add an additional SSD exclusively for Photoshop? Is there room?

Thanks again.

D.

I'd rather go for the smaller Pro M ; it has more built-in 2.5" drive sleds (but SSDs can be thrown anywhere you want; they have no moving parts & so don't need to worry about placement as much as mechanical HDDs).

Ok, Black Friday approaches and I'm having a final look at the spec....

Just clicked on the CPU in Kiki's Amazon link above and it clearly states, "This item does not ship to Ireland."

Ditto the motherboard

So, what do I do....?

Thanks.

D.

Ps. What's the thinking on Komplett? I get the VAT back, so CPU costs €313.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Gehad_JoyRider

I don't know where Puget are getting their info, but AFAIK Photoshop doesn't use GPU processing at all, or if it does it's minimal -

It will do if you tell it to on OPEN CL

For reasons too long-winded to explain, I still haven't got closure on this, and Black Friday (from my point of view) was a damp squib anyway.

So, I've put together a new parts list.

Note the missing Motherboard and the addition of two M.2 drives.

When I add an MB, I'm getting a SATA/M.2 incompatibility message; something about losing one SATA when both M.2 drives are running.

1. Is there a motherboard that will permit this?

2. If not, can I have one regular SSD and one M.2?

Any other feedback?

Thanks.

D.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭Xenoronin

You have 6 or 8 SATA ports on modern motherboards. I wouldn't be too worried about one of them becoming a dud when both m.2 drives are running. It just means that the one of the buses can't handle literally every port being used at once due to bandwidth constraints.

Xenoronin wrote: »
    You have 6 or 8 SATA ports on modern motherboards. I wouldn't be too worried about one of them becoming a dud when both m.2 drives are running. It just means that the one of the buses can't handle literally every port being used at once due to bandwidth constraints.

Have addressed this issue and added an MB in a new list. https://de.pcpartpicker.com/user/Dinarius/saved/#view=v4XbvK

D.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭Xenoronin

That motherboard is complete overkill. So are the PCI-E SSD drives. Why not just go for regular sata drives? Nothing you are doing will be able to process faster than the drives can deliver.
    A single 1TB SSD is so much cheaper. Something like a Samsung 850 Pro 1TB. Or even the EVO. Not a hell of a lot of difference.
    Black edition WD drives are a lot more expensive, when you don't really need the speed. Remember, this is bulk storage. 5400RPM is fine.

A NAS box might actually be a good idea for you. Or some kind of server separate to this main box where everything is backed up nightly since I'm assuming you are self employed?

I'm no expert so take this at what it is, my opinion, but I think you need a solid machine, with some redundancy built in (i.e. A RAID setup) so that small failures are covered (A drive fails). Separate to this, you might want some kind of long term backup solution so that big failures are covered (main machine catches fire). If you wanted to expand further, you'd have an off-site backup solution, though this is more of a small/medium sized company thing, to cover catastrophic failures (house/office falls down).

So build with this in mind, that you don't have to have everything in one machine. Also, that storage is expandable in more ways than adding a new drive.

Advertisement