Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Euro 2016 - N.I. vs Germany & Ukraine vs Poland - RTE, TV3, BBC, 5 pm

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,225 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

NI can go through after losing 2 of their 3 group games? The expanded tournament is fun and all because it gives the likes of us to qualify but that's a joke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

FatherTed wrote: »
    If Poland score a second and win 2-0 and Ger wins 1-0 wouldn't they both have 7 points, a draw against each other, +3 GD, 3GS. What's the next tie breaker? Or do I have my sums wrong?

its been answered numerous times, fair play stats

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

J. Marston wrote: »
    NI can go through after losing 2 of their 3 group games? The expanded tournament is fun and all because it gives the likes of us to qualify but that's a joke.

falling-money-o.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,793 ✭✭✭Red Kev

FatherTed wrote: »
    If Poland score a second and win 2-0 and Ger wins 1-0 wouldn't they both have 7 points, a draw against each other, +3 GD, 3GS. What's the next tie breaker? Or do I have my sums wrong?

Number of yellow/red cards.

Germany have 3 so far, Poland have 5.

After that it's UEFA rankings, Germany well ahead there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

The North have never lost their shape in the three games. Alright they were outclassed all game here and against Poland, but they have kept themselves solid at the back. If the Republic's players could do this there could be no complaints from anyone at what unfolded, from Dunphy or otherwise.

• Administrators Posts: 54,110 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

A team can also go through without winning a single game.

It's hardly a joke. Makes it a bit more interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭Bret Hart

Well that was ****.

Can't believe that ended 1 nil but I'll take it :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize

Will 3 points be enough?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,240 ✭✭✭✭briany

The North has never lost their shape in the three games. Alright they were outclassed all game here and against Poland, but they have kept themselves solid at the back. If the Republic's players could do this there could be no complaints from anyone at what unfolded, from Dunphy or otherwise.

Germany had several clear-cut chances that were stopped by McGovern, sometimes with just the lightest touch. On another day it could have been 3 or 4-nil easily.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭edgecutter

Northern Ireland were so poor and played out for a 1-0 lose. So lucky they got the Ukraine.

mansize wrote: »
    Will 3 points be enough?

If Turkey beat the Czechs tonight by less than 4 or it's a draw then we're definitely through.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Not a bad result for NI. They'll likely go through now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,292 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

3rd table after these games

Team Pl W D L F A GD Pts
    Slovakia 3 1 1 1 3 3 0 4
    Northern Ireland 3 1 0 1 2 2 0 3
    Albania 3 1 0 1 1 3 -2 3
    Portugal 2 0 2 0 1 1 0 2
    Czech Republic 2 0 1 1 2 3 -1 1
    Sweden 2 0 1 1 1 2 -1 1

Squeaky bum time for Albania

awec wrote: »
    A team can also go through without winning a single game.

It's hardly a joke. Makes it a bit more interesting.

Italy failed to win any of their group games in Spain in 1982 but went on to win the tournament.

Second round match of Italy v Brazil (3-2) is on youtube and worth a look if anyone has a couple of hours to kill.

edgecutter wrote: »
    Northern Ireland were so poor and played out for a 1-0 lose. So lucky they got the Ukraine.

We'd have probably drawn with Ukrane

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

No it's not.

Ireland got to quarter final of Italia 90 without winning a single game and only scoring 2 goals.

Red Kev wrote: »
    Italy failed to win any of their group games in Spain in 1982 but went on to win the tournament.

Second round match of Italy v Brazil (3-2) is on youtube and worth a look if anyone has a couple of hours to kill.

Was that the game that screwed over Hungary?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Delighted with the result. It confirms Ireland just need any sort of win against Italy to get through (yeh just beat Italy, that's all). Fair play to the North, they should get through now as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Now we know for definite if Ireland beat Italy, which I think is unlikely then they will get through.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

that's Slovakia qualified

I don't buy this for a second. The Ukraine are bloody awful and that showed when a nothing special NI beat them.

Why do you put the definitive article before Ukraine?

murpho999 wrote: »
    Now we know for definite if Ireland beat Italy, which I think is unlikely then they will get through.

If you told me that we still had a chance to qualify in the last game I would have been happy. The lads know what they have to do now.

Was that the game that screwed over Hungary?

No. Second round was a mini league of 3 teams; Argentina, Brazil and Italy, only one went through to the semi final. Maradonna got a red card at some stage (v. Brazil?)

It was actually a great tournament. Some class games.

• Advertisement

Whatever performance comes tommorow night, at least Ireland cannot be the worst team this time, after 2012.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,427 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

So if Eire and Sweden fail to win tomorrow then NI are through.

As they will be better than two other third place teams, Albania and Ire/See.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 280 ✭✭onlyme!

n.ireland might be playing wales

So if Eire and Sweden fail to win tomorrow then NI are through.

As they will be better than two other third place teams, Albania and Ire/See.

NI will be through tonight if Czech don't win and Turkey win by less than 4.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

This tournament is beggining to really suck. A lot of ****e matches

• Advertisement

I don't buy this for a second. The Ukraine are bloody awful and that showed when a nothing special NI beat them.

Ireland are nothing special either though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭Bret Hart

That's putting it mildly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

So if the Czechs and Turks carve out a draw next then NI's qualification will be confirmed tonight.

Edit: Just saw that confirmed above. :)

So if the Czechs and Turks carve out a draw next then NI's qualification will be confirmed tonight.

Yes.

Also if Turkey win by less than 4.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,676 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Brazilians be like, 'Oh NOW you forget how to finish.'

Yeah, but....

They're not Brazil, they're Northern Iiiiiiireland

etc

briany wrote: »
    Germany had several clear-cut chances that were stopped by McGovern, sometimes with just the lightest touch. On another day it could have been 3 or 4-nil easily.

To give as much possession away as they did against Germany and Poland and concede 2 goals in 180 minutes shows some good defending and
    shape to me. I know they rode their luck also, but the outlets for their defence to get a breather were the worst in the tournament.

Never said they were, but at least we tried too and did get a result against Germany. Your boys laid down and were lucky to walk away without a serious hiding.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,806 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

dfx- wrote: »
    that's Slovakia qualified

Also Croatia and Hungary.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

if anything it shows the value of a win rather than never ending 1-1 draws that Ireland tend to get.

To give as much possession away as they did against Germany and Poland and concede 2 goals in 180 minutes shows some good defending and
    shape to me. I know they rode their luck also, but the outlets for their defence to get a breather were the worst in the tournament.

It was a similar defensive display to the away game of Russia v. RoI in 2011, and we're still arguing about whether that was down to nous or luck.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 344 ✭✭Kobe248

Duffer saying Xhaka hasnt impressed

Uh Damo he got MOTM in both games

Didi calling Duff, 'Duffer' gives me the warm & fuzzies.

Wiki entry on Michael McGovern says he single handedly denied Germany 8 goals and is recognised as the greatest goalkeeper to ever play the game...

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_McGovern

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 280 ✭✭onlyme!

N ire will either be playing wales or france ....if they go through

• Registered Users Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭RedemptionZ

Never said they were, but at least we tried too and did get a result against Germany. Your boys laid down and were lucky to walk away without a serious hiding.

Get that chip off your shoulder, you're making us look bad. Ireland never try to play football. We rode our luck and got a result against Germany. Should have lost the game. Ireland wouldn't ever ever ever try to get a result if they were in NIs position.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 417 ✭✭Green Fella

Lieing down and dieing sounds a bit like Ireland against Belgium, and we got a serious hiding. N Ireland done very well today, to slag them now for losing 1-0 to Germany really is pathetic stuff. Im afraid its time to accept they are a better team than us. They proved it in qualifying and are proving it at the tournament.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Lieing down and dieing sounds a bit like Ireland against Belgium, and we got a serious hiding. N Ireland done very well today, to slag them now for losing 1-0 to Germany really is pathetic stuff. Im afraid its time to accept they are a better team than us. They proved it in qualifying and are proving it at the tournament.

The only way you could prove they are better is if the 2 teams played each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

I only saw the first 60 mins tonight but in that time I thought that n ire Germany game was more one sided than our game against Belgium. Germany had a lot of clear cut chances and hit both the post and crossbar in the first half. I know we were poor and lost 3 0 but I don't think those 2 games proved anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭nehe milner skudder

They don't deserve to progress. 3 points. Not good enough . Competition is bloated and just delaying inevitable

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,330 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

They don't deserve to progress. 3 points. Not good enough . Competition is bloated and just delaying inevitable

Group F could easily produce a runner up on 3 points.

Advertisement