Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Euro 2016 - N.I. vs Germany & Ukraine vs Poland - RTE, TV3, BBC, 5 pm

124»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,090 ✭✭✭trashcan

Red Kev wrote: »
    Italy failed to win any of their group games in Spain in 1982 but went on to win the tournament.

Second round match of Italy v Brazil (3-2) is on youtube and worth a look if anyone has a couple of hours to kill.

Remember watching that match and being devastated. Brazil looked unbeatable until that game. They played some fabulous attacking football in that tournament, including that game, but Italy caught them with some sucker punches.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

trashcan wrote: »
    Remember watching that match and being devastated. Brazil looked unbeatable until that game. They played some fabulous attacking football in that tournament, including that game, but Italy caught them with some sucker punches.

That game is my first footballing memory. Careless passing amongst the back four cost Brazil. Socrataes and Falcao got great goals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Flint Fredstone

Lieing down and dieing sounds a bit like Ireland against Belgium, and we got a serious hiding. N Ireland done very well today, to slag them now for losing 1-0 to Germany really is pathetic stuff. Im afraid its time to accept they are a better team than us. They proved it in qualifying and are proving it at the tournament.

No they didn't. If Germany scored 7 today, nobody could deny they weren't worth it. Just one of those weird games where nothing would go in for Germany. It certainly wasn't down to N.I playing well, except McGovern obviously.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭nehe milner skudder

namloc1980 wrote: »
    Group F could easily produce a runner up on 3 points.

And whoever that may be doesn't deserve to progress. I want winners

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

And whoever that may be doesn't deserve to progress. I want winners

3 points makes somebody a winner.....

Unless of course 3 draws. But that's not the case.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

Red Kev wrote: »
    Italy failed to win any of their group games in Spain in 1982 but went on to win the tournament.

Second round match of Italy v Brazil (3-2) is on youtube and worth a look if anyone has a couple of hours to kill.
    Some half time trivia.
    In the 1986 WC Belgium scraped out their group in third place with 3 points and then went all the way to the semi final when they lost 2-0 to Maradona.
    In 1990 Argentina finished third with 3 points and got to the final.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭DubDani

If NI make it through, which now looks highly likely due to the Turkish result, then they will most likely meet France next.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,427 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Some half time trivia.
    In the 1986 WC Belgium scraped out their group in third place with 3 points and then went all the way to the semi final when they lost 2-0 to Maradona.

Back then a win was only worth 2 points.

This is the first 24 team tournament where a win is worth 3

Back then a win was only worth 2 points.

This is the first 24 team tournament where a win is worth 3

USA 94?

Didn't we end up on 4 points?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Some half time trivia.

In those days a win was worth only 2 points so both those teams in today terms they got 4 points.

I'd change the format of the tournament to 20 teams with 4 groups of 5 and top 2 in each go through, it would add a bit of cut to the opening round, get rid of 4 poorer teams and wouldn't reward failure like potentially getting 3 draws or just winning 1 game out of 3 and still progressing does.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭Dr Crayfish

The North are through. Well done. Who will they likely be facing? It's a shame Ireland probably wont win a game but I'm happy for the North.

The North are through. Well done. Who will they likely be facing? It's a shame Ireland probably wont win a game but I'm happy for the North.

Most likely France.

No third place team on 4 points yet. Bit of a surprise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭Benimar

Slovakia are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

DubDani wrote: »
    Most likely France.

Could be wales also

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,330 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Wales (if Ireland OR Sweden win) otherwise France.

Slovakia?

Benimar wrote: »
    Slovakia are.

Ooops:o Thought the RTE graphic there showed all the teams on 3 points.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

Mixed feelings. Its a toss up between Ukraine and Russia for the worst side in the competition and N.I. are in the last 16 because they were lucky to be in the same group as Ukraine ... not to mention that bizarre match today against Germany! Hopefully we can be as lucky tomorrow!

Most likely France.

Could be wales also

According to statistics 68% chance of it being France and 28% chance of it being Wales. Wales only if both third placed teams from Group E & F qualify for the next round. If none or only one of them qualifies it is France.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,330 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

According to statistics 68% chance of it being France and 28% chance of it being Wales. Wales only if both third placed teams from Group E & F qualify for the next round. If none or only one of them qualifies it is France.

And the other 4%?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Colossal achievement for a country with only 40 professionals to pick from

All the players gave 100% in every match to get there

We need the same tomorrow

namloc1980 wrote: »

And the other 4%?

Those were in case they managed to get 2nd in the group. The below link actually gives some insight:

http://www.breakingnews.ie/sport/soccer/euro-2016-who-will-northern-ireland-face-if-they-reach-the-last-16-741113.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,676 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Ooops:o Thought the RTE graphic there showed all the teams on 3 points.

I think you assumed the figure on the right was point total, as it always, always is.

RTE have changed that for this tournament, in a startling example of changing sh*t just for the sake of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭edgecutter

Lieing down and dieing sounds a bit like Ireland against Belgium, and we got a serious hiding. N Ireland done very well today, to slag them now for losing 1-0 to Germany really is pathetic stuff. Im afraid its time to accept they are a better team than us. They proved it in qualifying and are proving it at the tournament.

Hate to bring this back up, but I feel you need to change your opinion now. COYBIG.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,806 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    I think you assumed the figure on the right was point total, as it always, always is.

RTE have changed that for this tournament, in a startling example of changing sh*t just for the sake of it.

That's the European manner of displaying tables - have seen similar in the Football Italia magazine. Our victory eliminates Turkey, so Wales vs NI.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,676 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

That's the European manner of displaying tables - have seen similar in the Football Italia magazine. Our victory eliminates Turkey, so Wales vs NI.

That's the European way?

Right, I vote out.

:D

Advertisement