Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A student starting a business?

Options
  • 21-06-2016 4:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 33

Hi,
    I'm a student and I have an idea for a business I would like to start. I'm just wondering is it sensible at all to even try balancing study with a small business?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

Only you can answer that I am afraid. For a lot of students it probably isn't sensible but only you will know if you are in the group for which it is.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

ConorDon97 wrote: »
    is it sensible at all to even try balancing study with a small business?

Sensible, probably not.

That doesn't mean others haven't succeeded at it in the past.

That doesn't mean others haven't made a complete pigs ear of it either.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 ConorDon97

Thanks for the replies. I guess to be sure I should research a bit more and contact experienced people.

I have done part time work and I hated it so much it is encouraging me to give this a shot..

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

Depends on the business. I ran a few little outfits during college. Some eCommerce, some minor contracting work.

What is your idea?

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Bergmann

Depends on how many hours you need to dedicate to your studies a week, and how many that then leaves for business (important also to factor in some "off" time). If you really believe in the idea and can make it managable without compromising on your studies then, sure, why not?! You'll never know unless you try :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭Buttercake

Can it wait until you finish college? Its always exciting having an idea and wanting to start a business

but I think you should put it on hold and finish your studies instead of trying to do both.

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭tacofries

Hey Conor,

I was in your situation for the previous 2 years but finished college in May so things have calmed down a lot!

I suppose it depends on the individual but for me personally, and a lot of other young entrepreneurs that I would be friends with, grades definitely suffered due to the business. A big part of this was due to the fact that I never actually saw myself working in the field of my degree thus no motivation was there. I did however know that once I finished college I was going to commit full time to my business and so as a result, when a business deadline and college deadline was due at the same time, the business would always win. Thus grades did suffer.

The above leaves me to the thought that if you just wanted to start the business simply to earn enough money to get you through college and then give the business up once college is done with, than it is a lot of unnecessary stress with little reward. I feel you would be better just getting a part time job, thereby allowing you to focus on your studies.

If on the other hand you were like me and did not ever see yourself using your degree, and the business was one for the long haul that you would keep working at after college, than it does deserve more thought. Ultimately though you do need to consider the long term and what is going to be more beneficial to you over the space of the next 6 years.

I don't know if that answer is sitting on the fence or not but that is my opinion formed by looking over my experiences.

Sean

Almost none of the things I have done in business are sensible! But sher sensible is a pretty boring way to be...

Advertisement