Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lactose free baby rice

Options
  • 21-06-2016 4:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭

Anyone recommend a lactose free baby rice for a 4 and half month old, seem impossible to get only thing I can see is a cow and gate one and can't find it in any shop. Any help would be appreciated

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Could you skip the baby rice entirely? I never bothered with it. Started babies on veg, spuds and potatos.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭dori_dormer

I agree. Baby rice is just empty calories no nutrition. Weaning isn't recommended until 26weeks these days. And you can go straight to real food.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

We never used baby rice with our 4.
    We baby led weaned but veg and fruit were the 1st foods.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cbyrd

I stayed away from bBy rice and white potato, the starch can give them tummy pain. Instead I used boiled mashed sweet potato with either /and butternut squash, carrots, parsnips, turnips or cauliflower. They're easy digest and I made a big batch and froze it in little pots.
    My youngest is 19 months and I still make a big pot once a week to mix with our dinners, giving her the opportunity to gently wean onto different flavours...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

That's far too young to start a baby on solids. Wait until 26 weeks at least and then give real foods-look up baby led weaning. Baby rice is gross stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭genie_us

lazygal wrote: »
    That's far too young to start a baby on solids. Wait until 26 weeks at least and then give real foods-look up baby led weaning. Baby rice is gross stuff.

I don't really agree that it's far too young, I don't think there's a set right or wrong. My little fella started at 5 months - was aiming for BLW but he was having none of it!! Little monkey is 19 months now and still has no off switch for foods! Takes after his Mam :P I found I didn't really have a choice but to start him on solids early

OP, I agree on the baby rice though - I skipped it and started on pureed carrots and stewed apple and stuff like that. After the 6 month mark I made up porridge with formula milk and that also did the job

There's a recommendation from WHO to start at six months, and waiting later does no harm. I see no reason to start any baby on solids before then unless it's medically recommended by a qualified medical professional.

Eta I had "hungry" children. They just got more breastfeeds or an extra bottle where applicable.

Well a recommendation isn't a rule, and I was recommended by my PHN, GP and mainly my own gut feeling to start before 6 months and it worked out fine, everyone was happier, most importantly my son. In the end I did a combination of BLW and otherwise, once he hit that 6 month mark I got a bit braver with the types of food and letting him feed himself.

I just think that all babies are different and what works for one doesn't for another, so to say things like ' this is wrong ' and 'this is right' doesn't always apply

I got the same from the PHN-that some babies are 'hungry' and need solids earlier. Unless it is coming from someone qualified in infant nutrition (which most PHNs and GPs are not, they get their information from highly subsidised baby food manufacturors like Danone) there is really no reason to start a baby on solids earlier than the WHO guideliness of 26 weeks. If a baby is hungry, up the milk intake.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭contrary_mary

To answer the original question I believe all of the brands of baby rice just contain rice and you need to make them up with baby's normal milk. It's the "creamed porridge" type cereals you need to stay away from if baby has lactose intolerance/CMPA - i.e. the ones you just add water to

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Shooter_galway

To answer the original question I believe all of the brands of baby rice just contain rice and you need to make them up with baby's normal milk. It's the "creamed porridge" type cereals you need to stay away from if baby has lactose intolerance/CMPA - i.e. the ones you just add water to

Thanks for the advice, looking on side of boxes 99% contain milk to stay away from those. Thanks for answering the question

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Thanks for the advice, looking on side of boxes 99% contain milk to stay away from those. Thanks for answering the question

https://www.organix.com/our-baby-toddler-foods/baby-rice

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭contrary_mary

Aptamil brand doesn't contain milk:
    https://www.aptaclub.ie/product/aptamil-organic-baby-rice/

Neither does Hipp:
    http://www.hipp.co.uk/products/our-baby-food-and-drinks/cereals/baby-rice

Nor the organix brand mentioned above. You should be able to find most of these brands in any supermarket.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭tinkerbell

Baby rice is not a good idea - it has no nutritional value and rice products contain arsenic.

A 4.5 month old is WAY too young for solids. Their guts are just not mature enough yet to handle solids. Milk is all the need til about 6 months. As lazygal said, the WHO state that solids should not be introduced til 26 weeks so you should be following that advice. They just need milk til then.

• Moderators Posts: 24,367 ✭✭✭✭ChewChew

genie_us wrote: »
    Well a recommendation isn't a rule, and I was recommended by my PHN, GP and mainly my own gut feeling to start before 6 months and it worked out fine, everyone was happier, most importantly my son. In the end I did a combination of BLW and otherwise, once he hit that 6 month mark I got a bit braver with the types of food and letting him feed himself.

I just think that all babies are different and what works for one doesn't for another, so to say things like ' this is wrong ' and 'this is right' doesn't always apply
    You know on this forum you will never be allowed the post this exact notion without being dissected and short of being told you're essentially murdering your child for feeding them before 26 weeks :rolleyes: so I'm delighted to see your posts :D if only the general so and so's new every baby in the world ;)

Op, I'd be 99% sure baby rice does not contain dairy as well. It's the other creamed rices etc that I'd be more concerned about :)

ChewChew wrote: »
    You know on this forum you will never be allowed the post this exact notion without being dissected and short of being told you're essentially murdering your child for feeding them before 26 weeks :rolleyes: so I'm delighted to see your posts :D if only the general so and so's new every baby in the world ;)
    There is nothing wrong with posting accurate advice. I heard so much nonsense with my first about hungry babies and giving baby rice earlier than what is appropriate. No one has said anything about murder, so that's just silly hyperbole. :rolleyes:

No one claims to know every baby either-but unless there is a medical reason babies are not supposed to have solid food before six months at which time they can be given normal finger foods with no need for processed baby foods whatsover.

ChewChew wrote: »

Op, I'd be 99% sure baby rice does not contain dairy as well. It's the other creamed rices etc that I'd be more concerned about :)

The WHO do not recommend waiting til 26 weeks just for the craic. There is updated scientific research which states to wait til then. Just because it was the done thing years ago, doesn't mean it's the right thing now. Updated medical evidence says that parents should wait. Personally I don't understand why anybody would give their baby that baby rice stuff - it's got no nutritional value, it constipates them, it's processed crap and there's just no need for it.

As for the murdering comment - seriously eh what? Don't be so dramatic. People are posting accurate medical information for the World Health Organisation, why is that referred to as murder :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,625 ✭✭✭TheBody

According to the HSE, it is safe to begin after 17 weeks. In fact it says that to begin after 26 weeks can "lead to fussy eating and food intolerences".

Linky:

https://www.hse.ie/eng/health/az/B/Babies,-weaning/

TheBody wrote: »
    According to the HSE, it is safe to begin after 17 weeks. In fact it says that to begin after 26 weeks can "lead to fussy eating and food intolerences".

Linky:

I'd ignore that. It is completely outdated, as I told the PHN nurse who handed me a HSE folder on weaning with my first child. It needs to be updated with the current WHO guidelines.
    My experience of the PHN system was very poor-really outdated recommendations (like putting egg white on a nappy rash-what if the child had an egg allergy FFS!) and they're totally focused on the baby rice and pureed mush.

Also I am not aware of any correlation between later introduction of solid foods and food intolerance and/fussy eating. If a child is intolerant of a food, surely it makes more sense to introduce foods as they are older and their digestive systems can handle things better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭Judge Trudy

I weaned my daughter at 5 months on the advice of an extremely knowledgeable and clued in PHN when my child just wasn't satisfied with milk alone. I had no issues what so ever, I just made sure everything I gave her was very smooth with no lumps. My child would eat the corner of a table now so it can't have done her any harm. I know older parents who weaned their babies at 3-4 months back in the day. Didn't do them any harm, different strokes for different folks I say.

• Advertisement

TheBody wrote: »

Linky:

As lazygal said, they have not updated their website according to the advice from the organisation who are above them. The HSE website is outdated and many PHNs are continuing to give parents wrong advice because they haven't kept up to date with the latest recommendations.

And the whole did no harm comments really are not evidence based either. Digestive problems crop up LATER in life usually, not in childhood. There's an obesity epidemic, diabetes is more common, digestive issues such as IBS, etc - all which appear usually in adulthood. New guidelines are there for a reason.

There are plenty of growth spurts when people think baby is not satisfied with milk alone - it's a growth spurt, you just need to increase their milk, not introduce solids. Milk is far more calorific than solids.

I weaned my daughter at 5 months on the advice of an extremely knowledgeable and clued in PHN when my child just wasn't satisfied with milk alone. I had no issues what so ever, I just made sure everything I gave her was very smooth with no lumps. My child would eat the corner of a table now so it can't have done her any harm. I know older parents who weaned their babies at 3-4 months back in the day. Didn't do them any harm, different strokes for different folks I say.
    It did plenty of people harm. There are people who only develop gut problems in later life, so just because a toddler hasn't suffered from weaning before medically recommended is no reason to suggest he or she won't have problems later in life.
    'Never did any harm' is possibilty one of the least useful lines of advice.

^ and the most dangerous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Right guys, the OP is asking for advice on which baby rice doesn't have dairy in it. They haven't asked for advice on weaning and we're not going to get into an argument over it here either. Please keep the post on topic.

Wow I certainly didn't mean to start a big discussion over who is right or wrong - in fact my intentions were the direct opposite of that.

SO MUCH of what's on the internet and so called support groups on FB for example are all about this group vs that group... I just hate it. I'm pregnant on my 2nd now and the difference in my approach is so much less scary... of course that is normal because I've an idea of what is ahead of me this time. But when I started out every single plan I had intended to follow almost worked out the opposite way. Breastfeeding didn't work out.. and I felt judged (perhaps mostly by myself?).
    BLW didn't work out, so I adapted and did my best.
    Even napping didn't work out as it should and he only napped on me during the day times!! Thanks colic!

SO many elements were out of my control, I had to base decisions I made based on the circumstances we found ourselves in. I just wish I could go back to the new mother me and tell myself - don't let people tell you you're doing it wrong. I just hate the judgements on eachother.

Anyway, my apologies to the OP for my part in taking things in a direction other than what she was asking about.

Advertisement