Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Offered a cancellation appointment with fertility clinic but just got positive hpt

Options
  • 21-06-2016 4:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭

Hi guys,

Just looking for thoughts...

We have been trying to conceive for nearly 2 years without a hint of success, until last month when I got a positive hpt. It turned out to be a chemical pregnancy and I started bleeding the following day, so our excitement was short-lived.

I rang my Dr and having had some of the blood tests done which showed nothing, she decided to refer me to the fertility clinic as my cycles are very irregular. But at the same time, she wants me to do another set of bloods for progesterone because last ones were not at right time due to issues pinning down ovulation. And she also wants to test prolactin levels.

We then went on holiday so decided not to temp or anything like that this cycle and get back into next month. So, I have no idea when I ovulated.

Got a phone call yesterday from the hospital offering me a cancellation appointment with the fertility consultant for this Friday. I snatched it up as waiting times are about 6 to 12 months for a public appointment, so we're extremely lucky to be offered one so quickly.

For some reason, I deciced to do a hpt this morning. My cycles can be up to 45days long, and I'm only on cd30, so wasn't expecting anything.

And what showed up.... a faint line!!!

Along with all my excitement, I'm also not sure what to do about my appointment. I don't want to cancel it and end up having another chemical pregnancy but having to possible wait 12mth for next appointment. It's such early days that things could go either way and I don't even know when I conceived.
    But I'm not sure if the clinic will be willing or can do anything if I am already pregnant. I think it would still be worthwhile getting hubby checked and maybe my AMH checked as well as look for answers about my irregular cycles.

Anyone have any thoughts on what I should do?

Comments

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

I'd say keep the appointment. If nothing else, they could check your blood levels and monitor you a bit more closely.

Congratulations :)

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭umop-apisdn

Sorry Neyite, I'm only just after seeing your response!

I ended up calling my GP to see what she thought I should do. She told me to ring the clinic and tell them the situation and ask to postpone my appointment for a few months. So I did that and the woman on the phone was lovely, congratulating me.
    So she said she would send a new appointment out and hope we don't need it. Got the letter through and it's for Dec! So I'm really hoping we don't need it too!!

Have been testing like a mad woman using internet tests that I got in a package with my thermometer, but it's reassuring to see the test line getting darker. I think I am about 5 and a half weeks now and have been to my GP to confirm and refer me to hospital, so it's starting to feel real.

I have booked a private scan for 2 weeks time so I'll be able to relax a bit more when I know all is progressing as it should, and I'll have an accurate date then too.

This board has been a life saver for me, as we hadn't told anyone we were trying, and would have felt so alone if it wasn't for being able to lurk here and find out so much information.

Advertisement