Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baby proofing glass internal door?

Options
  • 21-06-2016 8:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭

We are moving into an apartment which has a set of double doors containing large glass panels. We have an 11 month old and one on the way. Anyone got any advice on how to baby proof them?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭massy086

We are moving into an apartment which has a set of double doors containing large glass panels. We have an 11 month old and one on the way. Anyone got any advice on how to baby proof them?
    If they are large panes of glass they should be toughened glass as standard.take a look on the corners of the glass and look for writhing stamped on the glass

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Are they at the end of a stairs or somewhere else dangerous?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

We have a door with 4 glass panels- when I asked before buying, I was told it was toughened, and that the kids would never manage to break it- maybe yours is the same?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭farmchoice

you could put a small discreet warning sticker on it something like ''beware glass'' or ''glass, do not break'' but i would keep it near the bottom as the kids are still small and might not see it if you place it too high.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

farmchoice wrote: »
    you could put a small discreet warning sticker on it something like ''beware glass'' or ''glass, do not break'' but i would keep it near the bottom as the kids are still small and might not see it if you place it too high.

The kid is 11 months old. Not sure a warning sticker is going to work on any kid under the age of 12! Hell, even adults don't take note of signs. OP, no matter where the doors are situated you need to make sure the glass is toughened. A toddler holding a relatively solid object could smash an ordinary pain of large glass easier than you might think. Having said that, I would hope that a proper build would have ensured toughened glass in such a place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭farmchoice

mordeith wrote: »
    The kid is 11 months old. Not sure a warning sticker is going to work on any kid under the age of 12! Hell, even adults don't take note of signs. OP, no matter where the doors are situated you need to make sure the glass is toughened. A toddler holding a relatively solid object could smash an ordinary pain of large glass easier than you might think. Having said that, I would hope that a proper build would have ensured toughened glass in such a place.

perhaps the OP could include a visual aspect to the warning sign maybe a picture of a child breaking a glass panel with a hammer and then put a red line through it to make it clear that it is not allowed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭worlds goodest teecher

Moonbeam wrote: »
    Are they at the end of a stairs or somewhere else dangerous?

They are in the sitting room

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭worlds goodest teecher

perhaps the OP could include a visual aspect to the warning sign maybe a picture of a child breaking a glass panel with a hammer and then put a red line through it to make it clear that it is not allowed.

We aren't moving in for another month and I don't have a picture.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I think the point of the sticker is not to tell the child to keep away, but to serve as a visual aid so the child doesn't inadvertently walk into the glass thinking there's nothing there :D

I'm guessing the OP is renting an apartment, so the realm of what they can do is somewhat limited; i.e. you can't fit perspex over the glass.

As others have said, check the glass to see if it's been toughened, in which case you should be OK. Even if the child does manage to break it, it should shatter into small pieces like a car window rather than break into huge, limb-removing shards.

You should also be able to get a company to fit laminating sheets across it if you're really worried. Then no matter what happens, it will remain intact if broken and not rain shards down on anyone.

Advertisement