Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Public Sector Query

Options
  • 21-06-2016 8:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭

Hi,

Public Sector query.

Who is a manager in the public sector answerable to?

Issue in work where I am accused in the wrong of something. I am going to defend and clear my name. Have meeting with manager and HR but not sure if HR take their side or are independent?

Union is involved. Have paper trail to date.

If anyone has link to relevant document for procedures concerning management
    accountability or do they read the same documents as the ordinary employee?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭nok2008

Krispie wrote: »
    Hi,

Public Sector query.

Issue in work where I am accused in the wrong of something. I am going to defend and clear my name. Have meeting with manager and HR but not sure if HR take their side or are independent?

If public sector I would say the relevant department teacher dept of education hse report to depth of health etc etc.
    Don't know about any specific mgmt docs though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭2RockMountain

In simple terms, the manager is generally responsible to their own line manager - unless it is a specific statutory duty set out in legislation , which sounds unlikely in this case.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,211 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

Without giving away where you work is there any way you can be more specific as to where you do work?

For example if you're a Civil Servant there's procedures and policies which must be followed and there are grievance procedures in place if you've been treated unfairly.

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Creol1

Krispie wrote: »
    Hi,

Public Sector query.

I don't know about this specific dispute, but in general, HR are part of the management and aren't independent.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Krispie

All,

Thanks for the response.

Have studied the relevant procedural docs relevant to the ordinary employee for my sector. Can only assume they apply to management as well.

If HR are not independent then I am not been afforded a fair hearing. Basically will go through process and then they (HR) side with manager regardless. Am I the only one that see's this as a bit odd?? Thought they would look out for the well been of all employees until the case is noted as proven, either way?

• Advertisement
Advertisement