Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brutal Motorola Moto G 3rd gen (2GB) repair

Options
  • 21-06-2016 9:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭

I need to vent so here goes.

I noticed that my Motorola's wifi goes to crap after you turn on the wifi. After getting in contact with motorola's support they said that it would need to be repaired.

My phone is only 6 months old and this has probably been happening from the start as I never turned on bluetooth at the start. After reading in forums it's actually quite a common problem with these makes of phones.

Initially Motorola wanted me to pay to send my phone back to 'Fonfix' (their 3rd party repair centre) for repair. I gave out stink and they arranged for a courier to pick it up from me. They told me that I'd be without my phone for seven days while they repaired it. I chanced my arm and asked them for a replacement while it was away but they didn't bite.

On the fifth day that it was away I checked the repair history and it was awaiting parts. See below for more details on what was in the repair notes. I now have to wait another 17 days until they get the necessary parts. It will probably be over 20 more days until I get my phone back from them.

I asked Motorola if they would lend me a phone until I got my original one back. I also requested that if this wasn't possible that they could send the phone back to me until the parts came in as it was still usable when I sent it back to them and they just said

'We are sorry that we cannot provide you with replacement phone.'

BE WARNED WHEN BUYING MOTOROLA PHONES, THEIR WARRANTY, RETURN AND REPAIR PROCEDURES ARE ABSOLUTELY SH1TE (imho)

Below is the note that was left by Motorola's repair company.
    Device Model Number: MOTOROLA /XT1541 MOTO G
    Current Status: AWAITING PARTS
    Last Update: 21/06/16
    Est. Parts Delivery Date: 08/07/2016
    This date is based on average manufacturer lead times and is subject to change by the manufacturer. Please check back for further updates.

Vent over, sorry about that!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Its a shared antenna, doubt they'll fix it. Happens on laptops too. Depending on how degraded it is you may just be better off leaving it.

The problem we have here is we arent big enough to warrant OEM repair centres so its outsourced to clowns like Fonfix, that said Fonfix are WAYYY better than Fonmenders(now closed?).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,649 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Seems a bigger problem.

http://tinyurl.com/hn66br9

I dunno if this was always the case or just since Lenovo took it over. I've never had much luck with phone repairs in Ireland. Vodafone were decent though. I think the next time I'll get one from amazon just so its easier to return for a replacement.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭brianeoc

You know what, I did buy it off Amazon.fr so maybe I'll go down that route if they don't fix the problem.

Just to let you know that I've no problem with the company 'Fonfix' (as of yet). Motorola are probably too stingy to give their 3rd party repair companies necessary stock of replacement parts.

I think my moaning maybe paying off as Fonfix came back to me this morning saying they should have the part this tomorrow or Friday.

Just an update on this saga, My phone came back after the systemboard was replaced. Had to install everything again and set it up to my liking. Wifi and bluetooth worked fine. Problems that started to appear with my phone calls. People couldn't hear me clearly when I was talking to them and I could hear them fine.

Sent the phone back again (At my expense) and they had it for a week and sent it back. Systemboard was replaced again and I had to re-install everything again. All seemed to be fine a week or two and then the same problem with phone calls started to happen. I emailed back Motorola asking them to replace the device and they said that they couldn't and they could only repair it.

I got onto Amazon straight away and they are sending me a replacement phone for this. No questions asked. Fair play to Amazon. The minute I get the new phone I'll be selling it and buying something else.

Anyone want to buy a brand new Motorola 3G 3rd gen 2gb phone?? :)

Just an update on this saga, My phone came back after the systemboard was replaced. Had to install everything again and set it up to my liking. Wifi and bluetooth worked fine. Problems that started to appear with my phone calls. People couldn't hear me clearly when I was talking to them and I could hear them fine.

Sent the phone back again (At my expense) and they had it for a week and sent it back. Systemboard was replaced again and I had to re-install everything again. All seemed to be fine a week or two and then the same problem with phone calls started to happen. I emailed back Motorola asking them to replace the device and they said that they couldn't and they could only repair it.

I got onto Amazon straight away and they are sending me a replacement phone for this. No questions asked. Fair play to Amazon. The minute I get the new phone I'll be selling it and buying something else.

Anyone want to buy a brand new Motorola 3G 3rd gen 2gb phone?? :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,649 ✭✭✭✭beauf

This is why I no longer buy phones from the Irish Operators and will by SIM free from Amazon.

They don't take you for a fool like the Irish Operators do. And this case Lenovo.

Advertisement