Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Feeling like an eejit - airbag light

• 21-06-2016 9:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

So firstly I know I've been an eejit and ignored something I should have checked earlier. I've my nct on Sunday and in panic mode. I've a 2008 seat leon, before Christmas I spent 250 on a service, in March I spent another 200 on 2 tyres and brake pads and today I spent another 200 on a service (more break pads). Service is done by a guy my mum knows who had serviced all our cars for years and works for himself. He told my bad my airbag light is on and it'll fail on Sunday. I'm not quite sure why he couldn't fix it. I've Googled it and seems quite common but I really don't want to pay someone else a few hundred quid to fix. I feel like an idiot for ignoring it this long and now it's lastminute.com and I'm stressing like mad. Really cannot afford to fail the nct.

Anyone have any advice on how I can fix this for under 100 quid? Thanks a million

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭alanhiggyno1

pips mum wrote: »
    So firstly I know I've been an eejit and ignored something I should have checked earlier. I've my nct on Sunday and in panic mode. I've a 2008 seat leon, before Christmas I spent 250 on a service, in March I spent another 200 on 2 tyres and brake pads and today I spent another 200 on a service (more break pads). Service is done by a guy my mum knows who had serviced all our cars for years and works for himself. He told my bad my airbag light is on and it'll fail on Sunday. I'm not quite sure why he couldn't fix it. I've Googled it and seems quite common but I really don't want to pay someone else a few hundred quid to fix. I feel like an idiot for ignoring it this long and now it's lastminute.com and I'm stressing like mad. Really cannot afford to fail the nct.

Anyone have any advice on how I can fix this for under 100 quid? Thanks a million
    Think it's time for a new mechanic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,788 ✭✭✭Neilw

Where are you based?

Somone with VCDS should be able to turn it off before the test, I could do it Saturday if you're in North Dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭Armchair Andy

Black insulating tape. (Joke)

• Registered Users Posts: 3 pips mum

Neilw wrote: »
    Where are you based?

Somone with VCDS should be able to turn it off before the test, I could do it Saturday if you're in North Dublin.

I'm in dun laoghaire but can drive to you no problem. I was going to pop up to Halfords and see if they might be able to help? I'm just pretty surprised that he couldn't do it and didn't have any advice for me on it. I tried to see if I could do it myself using YouTube videos but I'm really too impractical and would end up making it worse!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 pips mum

Think it's time for a new mechanic.

I think you're right

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,858 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Most basic thing to do if no access to a fault reader would be disconnect the battery for 3 or 4 minutes and then reconnect, the airbag light then may reset but is likely to appear again over time as the fault repeats but this may get you through the test.

Is the car the 3 door version? If so it's likely that one of the cables under the seat have been severed or damaged, could be worth looking at.

On a safety note it's dangerous driving a car not knowing if the airbag will work or not in a crash so you should get it looked at.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,788 ✭✭✭Neilw

I'm in dun laoghaire but can drive to you no problem. I was going to pop up to Halfords and see if they might be able to help? I'm just pretty surprised that he couldn't do it and didn't have any advice for me on it. I tried to see if I could do it myself using YouTube videos but I'm really too impractical and would end up making it worse!

Halfords won't be able to help.

If your mechanic doesn't even have the most basic of code readers I'd be going elswhere, how is he supposed to diagnose problems without the proper tools?

If you're around PM me and I'll take a look.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 mayoflop

From my experience of vag cars, the light will not clear without a device to clear codes.
    It's very likely that a wiggle of the wires under the front seats will cure this but as I say, you will need to clear the code after.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭Muckie

Hi, i'd try and check for loose wires, seems a common fault on VAG cars.

Live in City West on the edge of Tallaght, have a Sealey scan tool can check and clear the code on Saturday morning if you like too.

Regards,
    Muckie

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭waffleman

I got myself 1 of these

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01AC7I7BO/

reads codes and clears lights no problem with an android phone + torque lite app (free download)

If you order this morning there's a good chance you'll have it Friday

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,644 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Check all the wires and connectors under the front seats, give all the connectors a good squeeze.. might do nothing , might fix it.. try and see which connector your jiggling when the light goes off.. you'll need to fix it ..

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Apart from anything else, if your brake pads wear out that fast, there is something wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭porsche boy

Apart from anything else, if your brake pads wear out that fast, there is something wrong.

I would hazard a guess that one was a front set & the others were rear.

I wouldn't say it's "time for a new mechanic" either. In our garage we have 'Snap-on' diagnostic as well as 'Brain Bee' and sometimes we just have to recommend a main dealer as generic diagnostics will cover 95% of stuff but sometimes neither system will suffice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

I would hazard a guess that one was a front set & the others were rear.

I wouldn't say it's "time for a new mechanic" either. In our garage we have 'Snap-on' diagnostic as well as 'Brain Bee' and sometimes we just have to recommend a main dealer as generic diagnostics will cover 95% of stuff but sometimes neither system will suffice.

yeah, for climate control or some sort of stability system etc.. fault. An SRS controller should be able to be read by most 3rd party systems, especially the ones a propper garage should have.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭140490

Have same problem on my car Renault, even scan tool couldn't turn off the warning light unless the problem is fixed. U need to plug resistor in airbag connection that coming from ECU to bypass the airbag. Just for NCT then u can sort it out later

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,881 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

waffleman wrote: »
    I got myself 1 of these

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01AC7I7BO/

reads codes and clears lights no problem with an android phone + torque lite app (free download)

If you order this morning there's a good chance you'll have it Friday

Eh yeah it clears engine management fault codes no probs

But not airbag fault codes...

Only guessing here, but maybe your mechanic is a bit old skool, pips mum? A bit harsh to say change mechanic. Not many back street garages / sole traders will have access to laptop + software to clear airbag fault codes, not even for main car makes such as Volkswagen...

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭waffleman

unkel wrote: »

Good to know.

Its not a bad tool for ten sterlings tho. You can also get it for 5 euro (including delivery) on aliexpress.com if you dont mind waiting a few weeks.

Ive replaced a crank ignition sensor without having to pay for a code read + labour from a mechanic. Paid for itself already. I wish i'd got one years ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

unkel wrote: »

Only guessing here, but maybe your mechanic is a bit old skool, pips mum? A bit harsh to say change mechanic. Not many back street garages / sole traders will have access to laptop + software to clear airbag fault codes, not even for main car makes such as Volkswagen...

I know a few oul mechanics that wouldn't be too well up in technology, but they all know a man who is. Not great customer service leaving somebody to paddle their own canoe like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,592 ✭✭✭tossy

140490 wrote: »
    Have same problem on my car Renault, even scan tool couldn't turn off the warning light unless the problem is fixed. U need to plug resistor in airbag connection that coming from ECU to bypass the airbag. Just for NCT then u can sort it out later

Savage advice. :rolleyes:

Advertisement