Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Big Brother US Season 18

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,373 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

It was set up to be a classic. Paulies game being blown up. The chaos that led up to first eviction (I'll be interested to see if they show all this on Sunday, they have been very kind to Paulie with the edit so far). A group of non alliance members all with a common goal getting together at the perfect time to take a swipe at Paulie. James manhood being called into question by Natalie prompting him to actually play the game.

And then Corey wins a quiz comp. Wtf?

Poor Z, she entered the house looking like a strong intelligent woman and left it looking like Paulies lap dog. Such a shame to see and horrible TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Paulie is a f***ing pig and complete a**hole - I think the season would've been a lot better without him in it. You'd really love to see him get punched in the face.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭pooch90

Delighted it has all turned on him though! Cody by far the nicer sibling!

Great opinion piece here about recent events and pinpointing why the season has been so disappointing... https://mic.com/articles/151353/big-brother-18-paulie-goes-after-natalie-in-latest-example-of-sexism-in-the-house#.YwCTfjDMB
    The early phases of Big Brother's 18th season looked promising for fans who hoped the streak of male winners would end. The show's woman contestants were smart enough to team up with each other quickly, forming alliances like the Fatal Five and the Spy Girls. Veterans like Nicole Franzel and Da'Vonne Rogers seemed like real threats, while newbies like Bronte D'acquisto were savvy enough to keep up.

How far we've fallen; five women remain in the house, but one will be going home Thursday. The remaining four are facing down the potent Executives alliance, made up of the five remaining men in the house (anchored by Paulie Calafiore and Paul Abrahamian, known as Team PP).

The Executives have been successful since their inception, already making moves to get a woman (either Zakiyah Everette or Michelle Meyer, both up for elimination) out. They've also revealed themselves to be bullies, Paulie especially. A fight on the live feed Wednesday night reveals exactly what's wrong with this season: Big Brother 18 is a sexist mess.

Fans who watch the show's live feeds got to see a meltdown Wednesday night. Natalie Negrotti warned her fellow housemate Zakiyah that Paulie, with whom Zakiyah had been romantically involved earlier in the summer, had been talking smack about Zakiyah behind her back. The news upset Zakiyah, who then went to Paulie to talk to him about it. Paulie denied it all, then lashed out at Natalie.

The language Paulie and his ally, Corey Brooks, used when talking about Natalie was both violent and sexist. Paulie talked about wanting to "bury" Natalie, and made multiple references to being as "fake" as her breasts.

Former Big Brother 18 houseguest Bronte even felt compelled to weigh in on Twitter: "Talk like that when the show ends at the finale," she tweeted. "I dare you, Paulie."

Paulie vowed to send Natalie home during the double eviction, as members of the rest of the house secretly plotted to send him home instead. But even if Paulie goes home, it won't fix the problem ailing this season.

Frank Eudy, a returning houseguest who has already been evicted, got dragged by fans on Twitter for sexually harassing Da'Vonne. Paulie and Cory's invective has been getting uglier, as evidenced by Wednesday night's fight. Toxic masculinity is winning the day in the Big Brother house, which is both gross to watch and making for a very boring season of TV.

If Big Brother ends with not just another male winner, but a male winner who got to the end through bullying female contestants, it will speak to a fatal flaw within the show's current pattern. The best seasons of Big Brother, like last season and season 14 before that, were so because they managed to maintain a sense that anyone could win up until the very last moments.

If this is the new norm, Big Brother will have downgraded from fun summer froth to yet another example of the worst humanity has to offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,512 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

wrote:
    If this is the new norm, Big Brother will have downgraded from fun summer froth to yet another example of the worst humanity has to offer.

Yikes, hyperbole much?

The article had me nodding up until that last line.

• Advertisement

Was looking at some of the comments on the Big Brother Facebook Page and quite a few people who watch the live feeds have said that on Saturday before nominations Victor was called to the diary room and after being in there for a long time came out and told Paul that the diary room (aka. The Producers) were trying to convince him not to nominate Paulie, indicating that the season has very much been rigged in Paulie's favour. If it's true fair play to Victor and Paul for sticking to their guns and taking a swing at Paulie (who in my opinion should have been removed from the house on Wednesday night - I remember someone been pulled a few years ago for far less, and in one of the earlier seasons of BBUK one of the lads was removed for similar behaviour - poor form from BBUS execs and CBS that Paulie is who they're trying to get to win).
    Mr E wrote: »
    Yikes, hyperbole much?

The article had me nodding up until that last line.

Yeah, unfortunately a lot of people struggle with ending articles which leads to over the top statements like that, but last line aside, he's pretty much hit the nail on the head there.

Was looking at some of the comments on the Big Brother Facebook Page and quite a few people who watch the live feeds have said that on Saturday before nominations Victor was called to the diary room and after being in there for a long time came out and told Paul that the diary room (aka. The Producers) were trying to convince him not to nominate Paulie, indicating that the season has very much been rigged in Paulie's favour. If it's true fair play to Victor and Paul for sticking to their guns and taking a swing at Paulie (who in my opinion should have been removed from the house on Wednesday night - I remember someone been pulled a few years ago for far less, and in one of the earlier seasons of BBUK one of the lads was removed for similar behaviour - poor form from BBUS execs and CBS that Paulie is who they're trying to get to win).

Yeah, unfortunately a lot of people struggle with ending articles which leads to over the top statements like that, but last line aside, he's pretty much hit the nail on the head there.
    Not surprised that production had been pushing for a Paulie win. I mentioned on Friday that I wasn't sure if Paulie was going to get a more truthful edit this week and I think we would have gotten an entirely different episode had the producers got their way with Paulie avoiding a nomination.

The series has been set up for him from day one with Nicole and Paulie having a pre show alliance with Tiffany being a common target.

S.M.B. wrote: »
    Not surprised that production had been pushing for a Paulie win. I mentioned on Friday that I wasn't sure if Paulie was going to get a more truthful edit this week and I think we would have gotten an entirely different episode had the producers got their way with Paulie avoiding a nomination.

The series has been set up for him from day one with Nicole and Paulie having a pre show alliance with Tiffany being a common target.

I'll be disappointed if he isn't evicted this week, but no doubt the PoV will cater to his strengths if the producers want to keep him in it - such a shame that they think keeping a misogynistic piece of s**t like that in the house is what viewers want to see. Then again, we are talking about a Country where there's a danger of Trump being elected as president.

Then again, we are talking about a Country where there's a danger of Trump being nominated as president.

Zzzzzingggggg! :p

zingbot_400x400.jpg

Part of me is hoping it's Cory this week as I think someone else apart from Victor is going to get a second chance within the game. If Thursdays evictee doesn't have the return ticket then I'm pretty sure Fridays special episode is going to be another battle back.

Paulie getting the boot this week would mean he would be highly likely to walk back in that night or the following day.

Delighted that the edit is showing his true colours now that his not a guarantee to win the entire game.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭stiffler123

I'll be disappointed if he isn't evicted this week, but no doubt the PoV will cater to his strengths if the producers want to keep him in it - such a shame that they think keeping a misogynistic piece of s**t like that in the house is what viewers want to see. Then again, we are talking about a Country where there's a danger of Trump being elected as president.

Paulie is a twat no doubt, but calling him a misogynistic piece of **** is going overboard. He made a comment he shouldn't have, but there's no way he should be evicted over it.

Paulie is a twat no doubt, but calling him a misogynistic piece of **** is going overboard. He made a comment he shouldn't have, but there's no way he should be evicted over it.

The way he has treated Zakiyah for weeks now has been equally awful, but aside from that he made the same comment several times and never apologised for it - if it was a case of saying something in the heat of the moment and regretting it later, that would at least show remorse and he'd have the possibility of redeeming himself, but his attitude and the way he behaves himself is terrible and if you think that's me going overboard you're entitled to your opinion, but growing up with a misogynist piece of s**t and a bully for a father myself, I stand by my statement - if Paulie can act like that in front of the camera, I'd hate to see how he conducts himself behind closed doors.

The way he has treated Zakiyah for weeks now has been equally awful, but aside from that he made the same comment several times and never apologised for it - if it was a case of saying something in the heat of the moment and regretting it later, that would at least show remorse and he'd have the possibility of redeeming himself, but his attitude and the way he behaves himself is terrible and if you think that's me going overboard you're entitled to your opinion, but growing up with a misogynist piece of s**t and a bully for a father myself, I stand by my statement - if Paulie can act like that in front of the camera, I'd hate to see how he conducts himself behind closed doors.

Stringing Zakiyah along doesn't make him a misogynist though. You said you thought he should get evicted. For saying her personality is as fake as her boobs? No chance. Silly comment sure but nothing to warrant eviction.

Stringing Zakiyah along doesn't make him a misogynist though. You said you thought he should get evicted. For saying her personality is as fake as her boobs? No chance. Silly comment sure but nothing to warrant eviction.

It wasn't the statement alone - his attitude and behavior is bad and it was apparent to me that he has a very nasty side to him; even when he lost his s**t with Paul when things weren't going his way says a lot about his character, so yeah I think he should be evicted, but then again that's my opinion and obviously I'm more sensitive to the whole issue than you are.

They're never going to throw Paulie out for those comments, we should be grateful that they are at least making the edit.

More very revealing info is finding it's way onto the live feeds the past few days which may or may not find its be shown on Wednesdays episode.

Paulie didn't come out of that episode very well, did he? A lot of it might be editing, but I'm inclined to think that that's the way he is (crocodile tears and all).

If there is a prize at the end for America's favourite, James will win hands down. I have massive respect for the guy after that episode.

And how could you not love Paul eating the cheetos in slow motion during the confontations? :)

Paulie didn't come out of that episode very well, did he? A lot of it might be editing, but I'm inclined to think that that's the way he is (crocodile tears and all).

If there is a prize at the end for America's favourite, James will win hands down. I have massive respect for the guy after that episode.

And how could you not love Paul eating the cheetos in slow motion during the confontations? :)

Apparently what we saw of Paulie in last night's episode was a very watered down version of how he actually behaved on the night in question and that he was even worse on the live feeds.

I think Paul and Victor could potentially give James a run for his money as fan favourite - they've become increasingly more likeable as the season has progressed and both are Underdogs (who doesn't love an underdog), whereas James has mostly been in the majority all season. I do love James though.

And yes Paul and the Cheetos was fantastic - bit of levity in an otherwise drama-heavy episode.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Brobromococo

What channel is this on?

Natalie ftw! I finally have an underdog I can root for.

What channel is this on?

It's on CBS in the States.

• Advertisement

An interesting take on this season form BB16 winner (and one of my favourite BB players) Derrick, and who's closest ally was Paulie's brother Cody, so nice to see he's not defending Paulie's recent behaviour... http://www.inquisitr.com/3420196/big-brother-18-news-derrick-levasseur-of-bb16-speaks-out-about-paulie-and-his-game-predicts-bb18-winner/
    On August 14, Big Brother 16 champion Derrick Lavasseur spoke out in an extensive interview, offering his opinion about the current season of the game.

Derrick had much to say about Big Brother 18’s Paulie Calafiore, and for good reason as Paulie’s brother, Cody Calafiore, was Derrick’s closest ally during Season 16. As such, the men made it to the final two with Derrick taking the grand prize. According to Derrick, he and Cody have remained close friends, thus he had a chance to consult with Paulie before the Big Brother 18 season began.

In Sunday’s interview with Rob Cesternino of Rob Has a Podcast (RHAP), Derrick revealed that while watching Big Brother 18, he saw Paulie’s game falling apart before it actually happened because Paulie was winning too many competitions and making himself a threat in the process. He said despite Paulie’s social game, his fellow houseguests were going to find some reason to put him on the block because he’s a physical threat to most of them, with the exception of Victor.

Regarding Paulie telling other houseguests about consulting with Derrick before the season, Derrick said the following.

“I don’t know why he did this… I’ll ask him when he gets out… It doesn’t make any sense. I think he was doing it as a way of kind of bragging and validating himself as far as being a game player … but it was a wrong approach because he mentioned it so often, it actually made him a bigger threat.”

Derrick noted he coached Paulie just days before he left for the Big Brother 18 house for about an hour. He told Rob he advised Paulie to get returning players out of the game first, not to get involved in a showmance, and to stay under the radar instead of appearing to be in charge. Derrick then stated that Paulie didn’t really follow any of this advice.

According to Derrick, he also had a chance to talk to James Huling for about 15 to 20 minutes prior to the commencement of Big Brother 18, but did not get Paulie and James together beforehand. Derrick also dispelled the notion that he’d coached Nicole Franzel prior to the season, saying that rumor was “completely false.”

Derrick further made sure to mention during the interview that Paulie is not his “protégé” because if he was, Paulie’s game would have been very different. He also told Rob he doesn’t agree with certain things Paulie has done in the Big Brother 18 house, but refused to “bash” him.

Additionally, Derrick surmised Paulie’s game was damaged because he desperately tried to cultivate the same type of relationship his brother Cody had with Derrick during Big Brother 16, which hasn’t happened this season and just doesn’t work during some seasons of Big Brother.

Rob mentioned that on Sunday night’s episode of Big Brother 18, viewers were shown what led up to last week’s double eviction, including confrontations Paulie had with Natalie Negrotti. Rob asked Derrick if he wanted to give Paulie the “benefit of the doubt” regarding any of his actions, but Derrick noted, “There’s really no benefit of the doubt.”

Derrick added there are certain things Paulie “should not have said, and that’s just it, it’s that simple. For me to sit here and beat it up is a moot point… He [Paulie] said some things that game wise, he shouldn’t have said, but also, as a guy, as a man, you should not say to a woman.”

Clearly, Derrick was making reference to some of the unkind comments Paulie has made about females in the house, including about Natalie and her breasts. At one point in the game, Paulie gave Natalie the nickname of “FT,” a cringe-worthy term he came up with for “fake” breasts, as previously reported by the Inquisitr.

Nevertheless, Derrick made it clear he thought Natalie “played it up a little bit,” calling her choice to behave as a victim, “an incredible game move.” Derrick explained he didn’t think she was as “offended or disrespected” as she seemed, noting Natalie was “taking advantage of an opportunity” to get Paulie out and it worked.

As far as other players, Derrick said he thinks James’ game is bad because he’s focused on Natalie and not strategy, he likes Victor Arroyo a lot because he believes Victor is a loyal player, and Nicole has clung too closely to her showmance, Corey Brooks.

Regarding Michelle Meyer, Derrick opined, “I don’t like players like Michelle. I’m actually very disappointed… she’s not a superfan at all in my opinion.” He added, “I would get her out because she’s going to just flip and flop… she’s just somebody you can’t rely on anything. And if she’s not useful to you, she’s got to go.”

Derrick also made a bold prediction about who he thinks will be the Big Brother 18 grand prize winner, naming Paul Abrahamian as his ultimate victor. He thinks Paul is playing a very good game, equating Paul’s actions to his own in Big Brother 16 because Paul is “facilitating information back and forth across the house,” but none of the other houseguests realize what he’s doing.

Even though Paul is his pick to win Big Brother 18, Derrick said in the end, he hopes a woman is victorious this season, noting such a scenario could very well happen because the men in the house may pick each other off one by one.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭cazwhatever

Really? I have less respect for him because all I saw from James in that episode was all talk in the DR about how "You don't disrespect a woman down south, I'm going to have it out with Paulie" and then he has NOTHING to actually say to Paulie when the time comes! Paulie and Natalie had their fight in the HOH room and James sat there on mute for the whole thing! Didn't pipe up at any stage to defend Natalie, even though Paulie was being incredibly disrespectful.

To me, James is all big talk in the diary room but NEVER backs it up! I find him quite cowardly. Natalie, on the other hand, stands up for herself. What she says in the DR, she follows through with. She has spunk and a lot of nerve and I am a big fan.

Natalie for America's Favourite!

Adora Borealis? :)

Strange how Paulie became likeable again after being such a dick recently.

Not sure how I feel about a juror getting a chance to go back in.

1 month left...

Strange how Paulie became likeable again after being such a dick recently

Don't let those tricksy editors fool you - they essentially contrived some scenes that attempted to paint him in a good light once again. In reality Paulie remained a complete knob up until he left the house...

He was constantly demanding the other houseguests pity him because he's on the block (even though he showed no empathy to anyone else when they were on the block), continuously threatening to quit the show and then that if he got evicted and didn't have the roundtrip ticket that he's refusing to go to Jury House (that apparently isn't the case, but he was in arguments with the producers in the diary room for hours every day), and he refused to do his pie baking punishement for a whole 24 hours before agreeing to do it just that one time so they could show him doing it in Wednesday night's show - such a sore sore loser.

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭hasdanta

my favourite thing about Paulie is how he claimed he couldn't go to the jury house because he's claustrophobic and can't be isolated, yet he's been living in a small house (which according to James is smaller than the jury house) for two months

Didn't know any of that, wow. OK he is a dick.

But seriously, Adora Borealis? :p

An interesting take on this season form BB16 winner (and one of my favourite BB players) Derrick, and who's closest ally was Paulie's brother Cody, so nice to see he's not defending Paulie's recent behaviour... http://www.inquisitr.com/3420196/big-brother-18-news-derrick-levasseur-of-bb16-speaks-out-about-paulie-and-his-game-predicts-bb18-winner/
    He also confirmed in that interview that the detonators had a pact that if anyone brought Victoria to the final 2 then they wouldn't get a vote. I always assumed Cody made a horrendous mistake with that last eviction but he really had no choice.

Also, it turns out that the online season coming up isn't going to be season 19 and instead will be a spin off with some big differences.

Big move by Natalie this week, dumb move by Michelle though. Really hope Victor wins the veto, rooting for him to win the show.

Big move by Natalie this week, dumb move by Michelle though. Really hope Victor wins the veto, rooting for him to win the show.
    What was Michelle's dumb move? Her speech?

Natalie and James probably could have thrown that HOH competition. They seem to win power at the worst time possible.

• Advertisement

S.M.B. wrote: »
    What was Michelle's dumb move? Her speech?

Not following through with her plan to nominate Nicole. Paul and Victor had her back. Nicole, Corey, James and Natalie don't.

Advertisement