Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smoke from chainsaw

Options
  • 21-06-2016 11:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 29

Just wondering if anyone can give me a bit of advice.
    Started chainsaw for the first time in about 6 weeks and was cutting with it
    When I went to get more branches to cut I put the brake on to stop the chain from spinning as there was stones nearby.
    When I came back and turned off the brake a plume of white smoke came from it
    Any suggestions

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,410 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

you shouldn't need the brake to stop it spinning when trigger not pulled.
    My understanding of the brake is that it engages if the chain sticks and the saw kicks up and back.

You start the saw in one position vis a vis the choke and then once it starts you change the setting vis a vis the choke

Brian has explained it better below.

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,567 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

It Sounds like the chain spins even when idling ?? This is wrong and sounds like the clutch isn't quite right.

You then set the brake on the chain but your clutch seems constantly engaged, and would have been put under considerable pressure, this could be the problem.

Might be best have it checked out.

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭fox0512

JD115m wrote: »
    Just wondering if anyone can give me a bit of advice.
    Started chainsaw for the first time in about 6 weeks and was cutting with it
    When I went to get more branches to cut I put the brake on to stop the chain from spinning as there was stones nearby.
    When I came back and turned off the brake a plume of white smoke came from it
    Any suggestions

First off your chain should not be turning when saw sitting on idle...it will move if idle RPM is to high....the brake is only designed to stop the saw in emergency and shouldnt be applied to stop blade in this case...if smoke came from brake housing i would imagine the brake which is a steel band that grips the side of clutch drum just got very hot and burnt oil and saw dust around it...if blade moves at correct idle rpm your clutch is worn and if blade moves with good clutch rpm is to high..

Advertisement